12 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2015 10:33 AM by ndn RSS

Any updates on using Free Night for Anniversary of Marriott Chase Visa?

hockeyfan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi- Anyone know of any updates on using this perk?  I'm Platinum Elite Lifetime & my family & I enjoy using our points to travel for leisure, outside of my weekly work travel. I'm not one to complain but the free anniversary night for having the card is almost a useless perk since it can only be used for a Category 5 or less night stay. I've seen previous discussions about this bonus and wondered if anyone has been able to use this perk in any other way or anything has changed due to feedback? There are no resort or any city destinations that fit this criteria for us and even my work travel is beyond Category 5. In addition many hotels we used in the past for free night have had recent category upgrades. I really feel it makes much more sense to give some points or allow us to pay the difference at higher category hotel. Any feedback? Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any updates on using Free Night for Anniversary of Marriott Chase Visa?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

hockeyfan,

I have not heard of any forth coming changes to the Chase Category 5 Certificate offering.  There are many others who feel as you do that the Category 5 certificates are not useable anymore with all the category changes in the last couple of years. I suggest that you let you feelings be known to Chase since they are the ones who provide the benefit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stratman560 Platinum

This has been a subject of much contention since Marriott started the devaluation of properties the last few years.  Honestly, although I could get much more mileage out of a Cat 1-7 or even 1-6, I can make a free night work even for a Cat 1-5.  My suggestion is to try out Asia-Pacific region if you have a few e-cert's burning the proverbial hole in your pocket.  Too far or expensive??  How about San Jose Marriott in Costa Rica or even the few JW's that are scattered throughout South America??

hockeyfan Platinum

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate the suggestions. Was looking for closer to home options within the US but good to have some ideas nonetheless.  Thanks again for your reply and suggestions!

joshm Member

Thanks for taking the time to share this, hockeyfan, as this is the perfect place to do so!

Like stratman560 points out, this has been quite the topic. We are happy to pass this onward to our team, as you are certainly part of a bigger group of people that have shared perspectives regarding the anniversary certs.

If there are to be any changes or updates regarding this, we'll share those with the community.

Thanks for the responses, gang! (vaboywnder, Jsucool76)

sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

The fact that Marriott upgraded most if not all the places I like to visit makes my Cat-5 cert mostly useless. However I did find a list of all hotels that show what category they are. I then found a place I could actually use it at while traveling through Miami to Antigua for an overnight stay. Don't get me wrong I still think its basically useless I just got lucky.

hockeyfan Platinum

Thanks... I hadn't thought about searching on Category so will look at that. Had been picking locations first and then hoping to find a category hotel that fit our needs. Just wish it was easier and more useful all around rather than settling on a property just to avoid wasting the reward. 

ellenkrinsky Gold

You are correct about the difficulty to use the Category 5 anniversary gift!  They should take a lesson from Hilton whre you can use the certificate for any of their properties.  Marriott wouldn't lose because it just makes for a happier and more loyal customer and once you book at most of the hotels and resorts you rarely stay only one night.  I tried last year to use it and there was never a place that I would want to stay that was lower than a category 5.  I am not just referring to luxury but you can't find a location in New York or Houston or even outside Boston or Maine!  Come on Marriott - you are an amazing chain that gets better all the time but you need to think about really rewarding your loyal customers.

hockeyfan Platinum

Exactly. Offering a more useable reward makes it truly a reward!  I love the Marriott brand and have been a very loyal Marriott Rewards member so hopeful the feedback and other perspectives will generate other options on the card anniversary rewards in the very near future. 

ndn Platinum

There is a reason the award is for a cat 1-5 and cannot be supplemented with points to get to a higher category property. Cat 1-5 properties are those at which people seldom use points to book award stays. The Cat 1-5 certificate is meant to put you someplace that you WOULD NOT OTHERWISE GO. Marriott wants to give the lower category certificate to encourage you to book at a property you were not going to spend money at. If the certificate replaces an actual paid night, money is lost. However, if the certificate becomes an EXTRA night, money is not lost.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...