6 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2015 1:58 PM by texasuser RSS

Why are the international call charges outrageous at Marriott?

texasuser Gold
Currently Being Moderated

With Voice over IP (VoIP) technology, the phone calls charges to anywhere in the world are very very low. It costs few cents per minute to call anywhere in the world. Marriott is still charging outrageous amount for making phone call from the room. If you are not aware of the charges, the operator may not inform you unless you ask.

Recently I was charged more than $35 for a 5 minutes international phone call from a room at Singapore Marriott. When I communicated to the local manager, I was told that the charges are normal. The phone call cost should be few dollars not $35. I still do not believe the outrageous charges and the local management did nothing to resolve my complaint.

Is Marriott phone system stuck in 1980?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Why are the international call charges outrageous at Marriott?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

it is outrageous but very consistent with what other hotels I have stayed at which of causes me never to use the hotel phone systems.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

by the way not to tout a brand but most of my family have apple devices. With wifi generally free we face time all the time. No need for phone calls

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I think that we can all rest assured that it's coming.  It just takes time to catch on and convert.  I think that the offerings in the thread http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2015/05/14/mobile-requests-are-now-live-at-select-marriott-hotels certainly are making use of this technology.  New hotels being built (and not just Marriott) are certain to be utilizing this technology, not just for cheap phone calls, but also to provide other services to it's guest through this technology for an enhanced guest experience.  What will drive it's implementation is competition (a major factor in the hospitality industry).  Also too, recall that in "the old days", in-room telephone charges were a huge profit center for hoteliers, which all but died, beginning with phone cards and ending with mobile technology.  You can bet that even with VoIP, they will still insist on profiting from it as much as they can get away with (you want enhanced, useful features?  you'll be paying for it.)  I think we will see these changes implemented at the rate at which industry competition will drive it.  I think the rates will go down, but you know they will always find ways to squeeze out revenue.  Look at how long it's taken to offer free wifi.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey texasuser I'm sorry to hear about that phone charge! I will pass your feedback on to our team. If you would like additional support, feel free to shoot me a DM with your Rewards number and I can connect you with someone from customer service.

I also want to give you a warm welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insider forum. It is here that members can share experiences, perspectives, photos, discussions about stays, and ask questions to a community of experienced travelers.

Being new to the forum, be sure to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your experience with the forum. Feel free to reach out to me (CariJ) lindseyh, or joshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We make up the moderation team for the forum and we are here to help

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Hotels still use regular phone lines and international rates. Plus they pad the bill a bit. So that charge is in line with other hotels. Use Skype yourself. Never use the hotel phone for non-local calls.

texasuser Gold

Do not want to use the word like rip off or scams for these type of services, however I have stayed at other hotels and the charges are nowhere near to what Marriott at Singapore location have charged.

I have complained to local management as corporate management passed the buck to local team at Singapore.  I feel that the padding a phone bill to make money shows the desperation and not the progressive business practices which is needed in 21st century.

Like I have mentioned in my original complaint, the cost of phone calls are in cents per minute not in ten dollar per minute rate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...