34 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2015 9:19 PM by chautauquany RSS

STRANGE FACTS ABOUT MARRIOTT (PART-2)

PK21 Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Few more strange facts about Marriott (w.r.t. REWARD STAYS) are below.

I am sure many of your might have experienced this, but, they are less talked about.

1. When an Elite Member comes for a reward stay, Marriott staff silently stop talking/ keeping invitation to executive lounge, even though the guest qualifies for lounge access. Whereas, in case of paid stay, either the staff pretends to be so excited to reveal this to the guest or an invitation is kept right on the table.
  2. The executive lounges are intentionally kept less stocked with food, as a part of standard strategy of Marriott. There are unimaginable limited food options (That too, whatever is available, more than half of such items, would not be even touched by any of the guests). Marriott does it purposefully, as it is a complimentary service and the cost has to be kept under serious control.
  3. Marriot is committed to ensure that the guests under Reward Stays should not have a nice time, when someone stays by redeeming points. Things like, room allocation near noisy corners, Scratchy tables, Tables without lamps, Minimized/Out of order amenities, Cutting down room service/evening turn down, and many more. Because, the guests on reward stays are looked at differently by the entire staff, as LOYALTY is just a drama.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: STRANGE FACTS ABOUT MARRIOTT (PART-2)
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Here we go again.

I have experienced none of these "FACTS" on any rewards stay.

1. Whether I pay or use points, I get full access to the lounge. In fact I am usually thanked for using my points to choose to stay at a particular property.

2. The food found in the lounge is for anyone with access. Offering aren't adjusted for certain guests because they made a reward stay (how would they even know once you were checked in?) Of course, some lounges offer good food options while others limit what is available. I've sometime found that when I use points, I end up at a property with nicer food options in the lounge. That may just be that I like to use points for more expensive locations and they just happen to have better lounges.

3. Really?

I've gotten some of the best upgrades on reward stays. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's especially nice. I've never been treated like a second-class guest during reward stays. If anything, I get thanked for my loyalty even more.

Most of us have had at least one bad experience with Marriott and have posted about it here. However, the overwhelming good experiences keep us coming back. We share those here as well. What we don't do is share opinions and call them facts.

I guess if I felt the same way about Marriott as you do, I'd be looking for another hotel chain. Staying loyal to a chain that clearly treats you differently than the rest of us on Marriott Rewards Insiders borders on either insanity or masochism.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

I could not agree more. In fact my experience has been largely like both of yours  in

3. Really?

I've gotten some of the best upgrades on reward stays. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's especially nice. I've never been treated like a second-class guest during reward stays. If anything, I get thanked for my loyalty even more.   

I remember some of those stays and the special treatment of me and most importantly my family  -- In fact this is one of the main reasons I've stuck with Marriott.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with rlswider.

When using my points for stays the front desk usually goes out of there way to thank me for choosing their property for points, plus more often than not I have gotten a little special gift in my room too.

Recently at Toronto Airport Marriott they left a bag of mixed nuts and candies along with 2 bottles of water. In Grand Cayman they sent up a fruit & cheese plate and two mini bottles of Red Wine, plus a few other little niceties at other properties I most likely forgot.

I've noticed too that at several properties, they even grant me the 500 points Platinum Gift. Im not sure if that's even required on a points stay.

I think the only thing "strange" is the validity of this Post Title...

JD

malou&ed Member

so what is the trick why your experience is further better than the rest of us?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

No tricks, but being a Platinum elite helps.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

There are no tricks, don't be a totally entitled as the person who began this thread and you'll be treated to many benefits.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

If I read the other posts correctly, bejacob's experience is the one that is standard. Not the exception.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hey PK21,

You are so far off base with your accusations that it is comical.  As bejacob has already mentioned and I will confirm NONE of your so called facts are factual.

1.  I get CL access regardless as do all other Gold and Platinum Elite members.

• How does one "silently stop talking"?  You are either talking or not and if not then you are silent.
    • Front Desk associates 98% of the time are happy to see the guests regardless.

2.  Food varies from property to property and most time varies nightly. 

3.  .  Without a doubt one of the craziest of the three.

• When I'm at a pool the Servers do not have pictures of who is on a reward stay and who is paying, REALLY!!!
    • Oh, so Housekeeping goes around moving furniture from room to room so a guest on a reward stay gets that old run down and scratched up stuff?  NO
    • I also have had very very nice room locations and on reward stays.  Can't beat this view and it was also very very quiet, but then I guess since we did hear the ocean that could be considered a "noisy corner" in your book.

P1010031.JPG

Why not attempt to contribute to Insiders rather than bash the hotel chain for what seems a personal agenda.  It is becoming clearer now why you get treated as you do or proclaim to be treated and it all starts from the inner self.

mtl_traveller Platinum

Hey PK21,

care to give some examples for these 'Facts' as they happened to you? I'm sure it would be fun reading for all of us here.

To speak of my own experience, yes, not all tables in a room have lamps. This is indeed a fact :-) Do you expect to have lamps on all tables? Would you go and ask the hotel to make sure that all tables have lamps, that way you're certain to have the best value for your points :-)

On a reward stay (one of those 5-for-4 nights) at the Marriott County Hall in London, I had been upgraded to a corner room facing the London Eye and the Thames, and yes, there was some noise - if I opened the windows I could hear people talking... Oh, and they were not aware that they had to keep silent on the lounge policies for reward stays so they invited us (including my son) to the lounge, and mentioned the hours of operations too!!

And of course, following your logic, Marriott really wants to make sure rewards guests have a hell of a time, and that certainly is the reason they offer the 5-for-4 rewards nights. Oh, the suffering!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Wow. I will say everyone is entitled to their opinion but you know what they say about opinions. I will go on record to say that I agree with bejacob, IAHFLYR, and rlswider. I have also had several good experiences with reward stays. I received an awesome harbor view corner suite at the Baltimore Renaissance, I have received an upgrade to a really nice Cottage at the Renaissance in Sonoma CA, and upgraded rooms at other properties. I have no idea why you continue to bash Marriott. If you really believe what you say, then pick another hotel chain and stay there. I think you just like to stir the pot and see what kind of drama you can create. Haven't you noticed all your posts create nothing but animosity and aggravation? Those of us who enjoy this site do so because of the positive information and stories we share, not negative baseless drama that helps no one.

joshm Member

We appreciate you taking the time to share you perspective with us in the forum, PK21.

The points you introduce in this thread are not the standard by which the folks at MR strive to convey to each and every member who walks in the doors of a Marriott property. As you can see from the posts in response to your thread, people have wonderful Reward experiences to share (Thanks for sharing IAHFLYR, bejacob, ks77, rlswider, and mtl_traveller)

If there is any specific experience you had that you'd like to discuss, please, don't hesitate to reach out to me (joshm) via direct message. I would be more than happy to provide support, or get you connected to our team for assistance.

Thank you.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

joshm, you've been more than kind, particularly since this isn't the contributor's first rodeo in this neighborhood...

I'll jump on the bandwagon with IAHFLYR, bejacob, jamesdeanks77, and others, having experienced exquisite, family-gratifying, unforgettable experiences burning points at fabulous properties (including the Ritz Carlton) in, among other places, Barga (Italy), Barcelona, Berlin, Chicago, Florence, London, and Paris....

Marriott loyalty has paid dividends for me.  Based upon my experience your experiences are more "strange" than "facts."

Message was edited by: ssindc

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

@ssindc,

Totally agree with you and the other MRI contributors you mentioned!

Marriott has always tried there best for me and those that I know, and I have met a lot of "Happy Customers"!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I will jump on the bandwagon as well.  My stays on "points" have not varied from my cash stays and we received the amenities and access that we had earned for being loyal.  We have always been treated well and have enjoyed our Marriott stays.  Though I have not had the pleasure of meeting Jerrycoin, I am a "Happy Customer".         

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the laugh troll.

We have traveled to NY, Aruba, and Thailand this year on points. Upgrades, lounge access, gifts to our room. The utmost and appreciation and treatment from the staff everywhere for my loyalty.

Are you a real person? Do you enjoy this fiction?

I am sure my personal comments aren't really supposed to be made, but I cannot resist.

Your "facts" are a fantasies and a joke.  I already wasted too much time on your post.

eaglestorms Platinum 7 Reviews

I spend over 200+ night per year in Marriott brand hotels and have NEVER felt that my stay was less because it was a points redemption.  My wife and I are usually treated royally.  During a recent stay at Marriott Fallsview Niagara, we were upgraded to an upper level room on the more expensive "fallsview" side.  It appears thatPK21 just had a 4am drunk rant. ("scratchy tables")??

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Marriott Fallsview is a wonderful hotel. We like to road trip from Maryland to Niagara with that hotel being our destination. Couple of books on CD for the drive. Four day weekend. Great time with my wife.

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews

The best upgrade I ever had (to a 2 level suite) was on a certificate stay.  We were treated like royalty on a points stay at a European Autograph Collection property.  Sure, many other times on a points or certificate stay we get an ordinary room with no upgrade.  But I have never felt slighted in any way on a non-paid stay.

gjolic Silver

I'm a new member and got an upgrade to an ocean view in Cancun on my very first stay using reward points!  I'm too new to comment on the other things but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out!

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Congratulations, gjolic! I hope you have a wonderful trip. Sounds like the upgrade started it off right

I also wanted to give you a warm welcome to Insiders! This forum is a great place to share experiences, perspectives, photos, and ask questions to a group of experienced travelers. Being new, feel free to check out our Getting Started Guide for tips on how to enhance your Insiders experience. Always feel free to reach out to me (CariJ), lindseyh, orjoshm with any questions or concerns about anything Marriott Rewards or the Insiders site. We are the community managers of the forum and are here to help!

ceciliadiane Silver

I've redeemed points for free stays many times, and do not find this is typical. Ive been treated with as much respect as any hotel guest on a paid stay.

lifeontheroad Platinum

I use my rewards points regularly and have gotten fabulous treatment, upgrades and been thanked for being a PPE by most of the managers. This doesn't always happen at the regular business hotels because honestly they are jaded with us lifers.

I have had some of THE most fantastic  lounge experiences on vacation. hands down Lima Peru was the most incredible.

every hotel is individual.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

You forgot the part about the Black Helicopters and the Grassy Knoll.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I would have to disagree with all of your statements, PK21.  I have stayed on points in many places throughout the US, Bermuda (when they had a Marriott), Italy and Belgium, and never experienced anything but great service.  A year ago, spent a week on points at the Marriott Grand Flora in Rome, was welcomed with a bottle of wine and some cheese in our room.  Our room was a large one, on a high floor, overlooking the Via Veneto.  They made a few restaurant reservations for us and, one evening, even walked us to the restaurant.  Every morning, we had breakfast on the roof top terrace with Prosecco, smoked salmon, eggs, wonderful bakery items, cheeses, fruits, overlooking Rome and the Borghese Gardens, with a great view of St. Peters - free, because they had no lounge.

Very similar experiences at Ghent Belgium Marriott (outrageous breakfast buffet every morning with a seat by the window, overlooking the canal), Brussels (the spread was so good in the lounge in the evening, we never had dinner out.  Lunch out, dinner in the lounge).  Great experiences, all.

jjofriends Gold 4 Reviews

This was an interesting one to read, and brought me out of lurking status to comment...

I'm only Gold Elite, yet I see upgrades quite often despite not being Platinum, which is one of my favorite things about the Marriott Rewards program - I really do feel like my loyalty is recognized, even if I'm not yet in that top bracket right now. And one of my favorite upgrades happened on a points redemption...

A couple of years back a friend of mine invited me to a New Year's Eve party held at an office building in New York City with a perfect view of Times Square and the ball dropping. As you'd expect, room rates were pretty high. I'd settled for a hotel in Brooklyn right off a subway line when I did a check about two weeks before the event and found a midtown hotel with the ability to redeem for points, which I thought was very unusual but I grabbed it right away!

When I got to the hotel, they informed me that they had upgraded me, and i walked into a room that was almost as big as my studio apartment at the time, no small feat for New York City, and made that particular night, special as it was already, even moreso!

It's one of many great stays I've had on points. I can't recall a negative experience with a points stay, in fact, so I agree with other posters here that it's not something I regularly see.

pointjunkie Gold 2 Reviews

We have to agree with all the positive comments.  We are also Gold Elite (not Lifetime). But any stay whether paid or with points, there has nothing short of outstanding customer service from the associates. A recent stay (with points) at The Shelbourne in Dublin, Ireland was totally outstanding. While there wasn't a CL, we were given the option of points/night stayed or free breakfast buffet daily. The room was fabulous. Evening turndown service brought cold bottled water and chocolates.

I think that with person(s) with the 'issues' with Marriott may have to look in the mirror.  What type of attitude did you bring along on your trip?  Was your attitude "I deserve this or that" or was your attitude "I appreciate this or that"?

The associates are people too and should be treated as such.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

@PK21, I won't dismiss your experiences but I will say that I have not had the same bad luck/experience that you have continued to have.  Last year I redeemed 100k points around new years.  During my stay, I did have a few concerns that were handeled and once I checked out, I was asked about my stay and because of all of the issues that I had, 25k points were returned to me.  It did not happen as quickly as I would have like, but I believe I received them within 2 weeks after my stay. 

Were you ever compensated for any of your terrible stays?  Have you decided to leave Marriott, if so, how were those stays?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I know, I know... Don't feed the troll, and after my last post replying to PK21 trash got me into trouble, I swore I would keep my hands to myself... But Argh... It's soooo tempting:

PK21  When an Elite Member comes for a reward stay, Marriott staff silently stop talking/ keeping invitation to executive lounge, even though the guest qualifies for lounge access. Whereas, in case of paid stay, either the staff pretends to be so excited to reveal this to the guest or an invitation is kept right on the table

brightlybob Eh? Really? Not my experienice in about 100 redemptions of points or certs. The greeting seems the same regardless, exec lounge access is explained and provided. Nobody goes silent upon my arrival when on points, how would they all know to go silent, until I give my name nobody knows who I am, never mind whether I'm paying or redeeming?

PK21 The executive lounges are intentionally kept less stocked with food, as a part of standard strategy of Marriott. There are unimaginable limited food options (That too, whatever is available, more than half of such items, would not be even touched by any of the guests). Marriott does it purposefully, as it is a complimentary service and the cost has to be kept under serious control.

brightlybob  Not that I see internationally where wines and beers are routinely offered and frequently not only breakfast and evening service but also an afternoon one too. To be honest the amount of food and choices at the US Philadelphia Marriott was huge and kept fully stocked by hard working staff. I have however heard of complaints regarding a small number of hotels who do the minimum, and even less, and failing to replenish is definitely a way of cost cutting. My experience is emphatic however, Marriott is not mandating short-changing lounges.

PK21  Marriott is committed to ensure that the guests under Reward Stays should not have a nice time, when someone stays by redeeming points. Things like, room allocation near noisy corners, Scratchy tables, Tables without lamps, Minimized/Out of order amenities, Cutting down room service/evening turn down, and many more. Because, the guests on reward stays are looked at differently by the entire staff, as LOYALTY is just a drama.

brightlybob What rot! I've had some fabulous totally-unasked-for upgrades on reward stays, the best was at Champs Élysées Marriott when I was upgraded to a 3-floor Champs Élysées View suite on a redemption. Me and the missus were blown away! If anything I think I may do better on redemptions than on paid stays, though my fabulous weeklong suite upgrade on a paid stay at the Boscolo Budapest may not bear out that theory. As for the entire staff looking on a redeeming guest differently, do you really think every member of staff checks your room payment method before you speak to them? So you walk up to the concierge and ask for directions to a place and he/she first finds out whether you're paying or redeeming, then what? If you're redeeming gives you the wrong route???

3 little words to you PK21 .... Up Your Meds

Will be (re)testing those waters in 2016.  Just booked award travel in both Aix en Provence and Lyon, France.

And, as a matter of fact, I got a very nice note back from the head of reservations in Lyon, excited for my stay and letting me know they have noted it is our 30th wedding anniversary.

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

I've only redeemed points for travel in London, Paris and NYC--as those hotels are more expensive and my points go further than staying in a typical Marriott.  They are also hotels  I would not be able to easily afford (for 5 nights).  The hotels have been the BEST!  Had an upgrade in NYC to include 2 Queens and a sofa bed, fridge, etc., during last stay--which was great!!  My best experiences have been on points!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...