30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 5:42 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Paris, What Hotel?

traveler2 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a trip to Paris next fall and to be honest I am so confused and afraid of making a mistake. We have plenty of points so we can stay at any hotel. I have been reading the posts and they all sound wonderful. This is our first trip to Europe. We enjoy nice, classic hotels with all the amenities. We enjoy walking, shopping and restaurants. Would like to be centrally located to walk to all the sights or at least get there easily. Would love to find those lovely little places off the beaten path. Can anyone help me narrow it down? My thanks in advance!

• Re: Paris, What Hotel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Traveler2,

Relax, you will not make a mistake, nor don't be confused.

For your first time, and one you will not forget, here is my recomm., and remember to check insiders for their previous historyl  You will have a great time:

Marriott Champs, nothing like it in this world

Ren. Louve, plenty to do close by

There is a new place right by Arch de Triomph, have not stayed there but it is a good location.

Do not stay at CY Nuelly, unless you are a pack mule and want to stay in your room for your whole time in Paris.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

j22frosty Platinum 1 Reviews

We loved the Marriott Champs!  It was marvelous & the location is fabulous!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

michaela Platinum

Last May 08', my wife and I were in the same situation.

We selected the Rive Gauche full service Marriott because the Champ Elysee and the Renaissance required a lot more points.

The hotel is largely a business hotel but very nice and the staff was fantastic with their help and advice.

Their are two metro stations within a 3-5 minute walk and we believe this is a great location in the Montparnsse arrondisment.

We visited both other Marriott properties and they also were very nice but we could not see the value in using all those additional points.

We would select this hotel again we return to Paris.

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

I have a reservation at the Champs-Elysees, but have discovered that they do not have an Executive Lounge available.  After coming to this fine forum and reading the raving reviews about the Rive Gauche, I am going to stay there instead.  This will save me 40,000 points.  I realize that the CE probably has more old world charm, but not having a lounge really turns me off.  I work hard to get to Platinum level as I do not travel for business and pay my own way, so I feel we deserve the amenties of a lounge.  We just spent four nights in Sydney, Australia and it had the best lounge I have ever encountered.  Enjoy your trip to Paris.  I love the Marriott wherever it might be.

jaysbryant Silver

We are going to stay at the

Courtyard Paris Neuilly

on a trip over the holidays this year.  It looked like the best bet for price and location to subways.   Where did you end up picking?

goalie Platinum

This hotel will work if you are an experienced traveler and don't need to be in the middle of everything. It is a bit off the beaten track and not really close to the metro. It's cold and dark in Paris at Christmas and not like Germany with the Christmas Markets and lots of lights. Unless you are in the center of it all, you might feel a little lonely. I would consider La Defense or Rive Gauche before I would go to the Courtyard that time of year.I would really suggest an in town hotel.

I recently stayed at the Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero. I stayed here for the neighborhood and proximity to everything. I also took my niece (age 13) and could feel very comfortable in the neighborhood. Nice hotel, some funny quirks. I am still laughing about the soap products from Pasadena (Lather). Give me a break. We're in France! The shower is very annoying but all in all the service was good and the location perfect! The Victor Hugo metro stop is great and you emerge into a little "village square". I imagine at Christmas it would be even more delightful.

Goalie

goalie Platinum

You might really like the Renaissance le Parc Trocadero. I would consider it at least.

Goalie

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I spend time in Paris frequently and always stay at the Rive Gauche.  It may look a little out of the way but it is a fabulous hotel with an easy RER connection to CDG (RER: Denfert-Rochereau) and the multiple metro stops at Place d'Italie as well as a couple right near the hotel.

I've always been treated like a queen and the rooms are fabulous.  Although it's not on the right bank in some of the fancier neighborhoods, it's a short walk to most sites on the Left Bank.

ProfChiara

outofoffice Platinum

Took my wife and kids to London and Paris last summer. We stayed at Marriott County Hall on the Thames, before checking into the new Renaissance Arc de Triumph in Paris. Both hotels were a great experience, although totally different. County Hall was older, historic and more Londonesque. The Renaissance was modern, contemporary and artsy. The property is located near the Arch, close to an M station, and therefore very accessible to anywhere you want to go. It's a little off the main tourism paths, which we liked. More peaceful and less congested. Room was smaller than in London, but we spent little time inside. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. I can't compare to any other place in Paris, but we were pleased and would certainly recommend it. Good luck!

lowe73 Gold

I think we have enough points to cover a hotel stay for a week in Paris - but do you know if there are fees associated with staying there?  Everytime I look - it says something about another charge?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi there,

The VAT is included in the hotel cost but there is a small city tax that you would have to pay (it is very, very small).

Enjoy!

ProfChiara

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Not sure if you have taken the trip yet, however as others have said, the Marriott champ Elysees is by far the hotel to stay at for those that want to walk the city.  My wife and I stayed there and it was absolutely amazing.  The basic room with a view was on par with some of the better rooms you'll find, however if you pay the upgrade (or luck out to get one) the champ elysees room is amazing.

The location is perfect.  You are short walks away from all the major POIs and can get to most anywhere from the subway (very close) or the train at Paris North (not far).  A day trip to Brussells or Cologne, perhaps even London are all possible.  There are PLENTY of places to eat and the staff, well they are perhaps some of the best I've experienced anywhere.

Here's a few pics to entice you :)

likestraveling Member

The champs is a great hotel. Right on the ave. Lots of resturants and places to walk and stroll. Very elegant took my wife there for her first trip to europe and she fell in love with it. centrally located 5 min walk from the arc. ten from the tower and 2 from the metro. Enjoy the experience. The metro and the hop on hop off tours are best

frankiesesso Platinum 5 Reviews

I have not stayed at the MArriot Champ Elysee - just been there for lucn--great location and beautiful and inside and have heard amazing things about the hotel - excellent food service...I have personally stayed at the Renaissance Vendome'  - great if you prefer a boutique hotel in a gret location---no CL but they offer breakfast 7 days a week!

Renaissance La defence - is further out---but best gym/health club in Paris and a good CL

Zukracer,

Thanks for the idea of the UPGRADE! 

We are going to use 120,000 point and pay the upgrade price for the room on the CE the first week-end in May!

Having stayed there before, we are excited about your idea about being on the CE!

Thanks!

front4 Platinum

If you want classic, intimate, full on French; do the Renaissance Vendome.  Anything in the 1st Arondisement is central to everything in Paris.  Remember, Paris is set up like a snails shell and winds out from the center.  Any hotel that is steps away from the #1 Metro line can get you just about anywhere (connections are a breeze and the Metro is THE best way to get around)

I know that the Vendome has small (typical of older properties in Europe) rooms.  Two's company.  Three; forget it!  Remember, Europeans do not have showers like here in the states and the older hotels are probably more so.  

We stayed at the new (May 2009) Renaissance Arc de Triomphe and loved it.  The Arc metro stop has about 5 different lines passing through it, so you can get anywhere in Paris from this location.   Since it is new, you will find the rooms much larger and the bathrooms are what we expect here in the States (more or less)

I used points for 3 of us and breakfast was included, gratis.  Platinum has some benefits.

belleparee Member

I just came back from Paris and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Boulogne-Billancourt, which just opened in march 2012.  We stayed 5 nights - the hotel was great, with very helpful and speak very good English.  hot breakfast buffet included and a 5 minute walk to the metro Line 10.  The area is very nice, not touristy but yet close to all the sights and museums in Paris.  We used the metro to go to Eiffel, the Louvre, Champs-elysee  and all the different neighborhoods, even to Versailles, we took the metro and a train which took only 20 minutes. You can buy a metro pass( 1-5 day) and save so much.  I booked this hotel because it was the cheapest, I was a little nervous at first, being that it's not central but with the metro location  didn't really matter.  There's a patessirie  and a little grocery store we stop for water and pastries before retiring to our rooms at night, a bar and japanese restaurant(really good) also nearby.  this hotel is a great choice for traveling with kids and families, the rooms are spacious with a king or 2 double beds (not twin beds) so 4 people can stay in one room comfortably.  would love to come back to this hotel next time.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

belleparee,

Thank you for the information on the Boulogne-Billancourt Courtyard.  I will add this hotel to my list of Marriott properties to consider on my next trip to Paris.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

belleparee,

Thanks so much for your report!  Was wondering about how this hotel is, being new and all.  This is very helful!

kerrfam Gold 3 Reviews

We went last summer and used points to stay at Champs Elysee.  We felt spoiled and loved it there.  It is a great central location and a great place to people watch.  We ate at the cafe on the sidewalk but would skip that next time - just average service and food.  The breakfast buffet was excellent.  Any place in Paris is easily accessible with the Metro.

jbmartinez Silver 1 Reviews

Went last November and stayed at the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel.  Had 2 rooms - husband and I in one and daughters in another.  It's a newer hotel so the room size would be more like what you would find in America.  Staff was phenomenal!  If you are a gold/platinum member - the internet is free as well as the full breakfast (which we took advantage of). If you're not - the breakfast would be a bit high, but there was plenty of other cafes and restaurants within walking distance.  Highly recommend a restaurant (about a block away) Chez Gabrielle for dinner.  It's very small so recommend you make a reservation once you're there - but it was one of the best meals we had while we were there.  As the hotel name indicates - it is a couple blocks away from the Arc de Triomphe as well as the Champs-Elysees.  You have a main Metro hub station (Charles de Gaulle-Etoile) 2 blocks away as well as another Metro station (Ternes) 1 block in another direction.  We used the Metro to go everywhere the 5 days we were there.

thanks for the info, jbmartinez.  Tell me the truth, do little kids have a place at Chez Gabrielle?

Pluto and JB,

I never like to "Rain on a parade", but my experience at Chez Gabrielle was not good.  I did not have a reservation and they were not busy, but I waited for 20 minutes and never even got acknowledged as even being there.  Now this place is small, so the sole waitress had to see us.  We left, and again, it could have just been a fluke.  However, I walked to this wonderful place and had a great dinner, it was maybe 1/2 block toward AdT.

IMG_1649.JPG

This is a wonderful place and reasonably priced.  I would check with your concierge and have them check for children.  They were very friendly here and I would not think it would be a problem.  But here is even a "Safer bet" for youngsters.  This place is right out the door of the hotel to your left.  I saw kids there and the menu is much simpler, but I really enjoyed the two meals I had there.  The steak was very good, not large, but tender and with the pomme frites, was wonderful. (I had some black peppercorn sauce that was very tasty!)

IMG_1617.JPG

Chez Clement, is not real fancy, but family friendly and very close.  One of the nice things about your location is you will have a lot of choices!  If you see my friend Ann, she will really take care of your family and you in the morning.  They comped our breakfast each day in the room, and she was so special!

IMG_1651.JPG

Pluto, don't forget to "Satisfy your sweet tooth" and this place just around the corner, away from the AdT and take a right. The end of the block, you will see,

IMG_1618.JPG

Bon Appetit', and please at least check out Chez Gabrielle, I could be wrong!

Thanks as always, for your suggestions.  Of course we are staying at Ren LD, but I would very much like to take a stroll down from AdT to check out the Ren AdT locale, just to scope it out, and perhaps try these offerings. 

My kids are 20 and 23 so no longer qualify for "little" but the restaurant itself was very hospitable and I don't think they would have a problem with children.  I think the bigger question is will your kids eat french food and if not - I don't know if you'd want to order something that they may not touch.  Nothing in Paris is cheap.  The price point for this place was in line with other high end restaurants - for 4 adults we had a wonderful meal, including appetizers, my husband and older daughter split a half bottle of bordeaux and we had a dessert and the bill came to about 150 euros.

jb,

Very good point! 

I was an "Expert on Kids, till I had one"! And one really has to cater to their needs.  There will be plenty of places to be comfortable for the group.

thanks jb,

Since the kids are 9 mos. and 2.5 yrs, we probably won't order anything for them, just share our food with them.  Having never been to Paris with "littles" (they are my grand kids) I'm more wondering which restaurants are hospitable to children in general (there will be a stroller, and high chairs will be needed, etc.)  Of course we expect them to behave.  It's more a question of proprietors/guests tolerating their presence.

This is a very small place so it would be a challenge to get a stroller in there andI'll be honest I don't remember there being any small children there, but that's not to say they don't get them or couldn't accommodate them. There are other more casual restaurants we went to on Wagram and the Champs Elysees which didn't require reservations and we certainly saw families (with equipment in tow) in them.  Your best bet is probably to inquire with the hotel concierge as to which establishments might work best for you.

Pluto,

The kids will enjoy the large shopping center next to the RLD, especially on a rainy day.  The Metro will get you to town easily and do get out at AdT and see the Ren.  You will at least be walking downhill on the C-E!

There is that famous Children's park that the kid's might enjoy as well.  Just hope you have great weather!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Other Paris threads to check

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1101          La Défense, Paris, France

paris rive gauche

Paris Rive Gauche

Paris Champs Elysees

Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

The BEST place in Paris! (CE)

Paris Marriott C-E...virtual concierge???

Room for 4 at CE

Transportation from Airport to C-E

Renaissance Arc de Triomphe - Paris

Courtyard Marriiott Nueilly-Sur Seine

Renaissance Place Vendome

Paris Vendome

SusanL (Renaissance Vendome)

Thanks & CDG to Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero  (Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero)

Paris! "Never better!"   (Arc d'Triomphe trip report)

Surprise (discussion on Paris sights & hotels)

Paris Marriott C-E vs. Renaissance Paris Vendome

Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please

First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?

Which Marriott in Paris?

Paris, What Hotel?

Where to stay ?

Paris hotels

Help us choose our Paris hotel!

Paris in April-Marriott/Renaissance

Paris, France late April, early May which of the hotels have Executive Lounge any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you  

What location and hotel would you suggest for Paris.  I will be going in mid September.

list hotels close to downtown Paris

Best Hotel in London & Paris

Hotel and Metro in Paris (hotel airport transporation options)

Summer Travel Story Conclusion (Paris pictures)

Summer Travel Story (Paris Pictures Part 2)

Perks at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Marriott and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel  

Parisian Hospitality!

Complementary breakfast for Platinum members in Paris?

My favorite Paris hotel...

Which Marriott in Paris        

Paris by Train

Paris nightlife

Paris in May ?

Happy Bastille Day- Paris Summer Story!   

Paris with kids

Parisien Dining - Le Marais.  Any suggestions?

Paris to Normandy

Best Hotel in London & ParisParis! "Never better!"

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees