9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2010 12:06 AM by crcran RSS

Paris C-E - charged city tax for free nights stay

macbradaigh Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else charged 3 euro per night for "city tax" for free nights stay?  I stayed 7 nights and was charged 21 euro at checkout.  I never was told of this hidden charge when making the reservation nor when I checked in.  I have never been charged tax for a free night stay in the US or Europe. 

• Re: Paris C-E - charged city tax for free nights stay
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
    Dear Macbradaigh, For my recent free stay at the London County Hall, I had to pay VAT taxes. I only realized I did when my Marriott points (for food and other things) did not add up. When I called Marriott they told me taxes are excluded from points. But the short answer to the question is that in my experience taxes have been separate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

ProfChiara

Same thing happens at many timeshare resorts in Hawaii where the state collects the transient occupancy tax on timeshare stays by timeshare owners even though most timeshares are fee simple real estate on which the owner already pays property taxes.

HI gets away with that because its home-towning state legislature and state supreme court says its OK.  And, guess what?--most owners are absentee and have no vote on the matter.

I don't sympathize with Hawaiians that have been moaning about low tourism durng this recession --- they have brought some of this onto themselves through overtaxation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

CountryJim,

Maybe I was lucky, but they never charged me tax on the rooms using points.

Hope it is not a new trend.  

onetiredpuppy Platinum

I was charged a tax on my free nights when I stayed in Aruba, but no where else.  I'm headed to Paris at the end of the month for a week and will be using free nights.  Thanks for the "heads up".  I'm going to call and find out more about this.

dergarabed Platinum

We experienced the same thing when we stayed at the Village d"Ille de France - timeshare outside of Paris - absolutely beautiful country French environment, but again tax was collected even thought we used reward points for our stay - had nothing to do with Marriott - apparently either Paris or France expects this to be collected from guests.  Only word of advice might be that Marriott should perhaps make the guests aware of this added expense - NO ONE likes surprises when it comes to others putting there hands in your pocketbook.

briyau15 Platinum

I just returned from a trip to Europe and stayed at the Paris C-E for 3 nights using points.  Upon checkout they did charge me 3 Euro a night as a room tax.  I just paid rather than making a fuss since I had to catch a plane.  I haven't decided whether to call corporate to inquire or leave it as is as it is only $15.  However, i did see a similar complaint logged through Flyertalk discussing the same thing.

Within that same trip I used my free night stay (Visa annual free night) to stay in Milan and was not charged a thing.  The flyer posts went back and forth and indicated it was strictly a Paris thing.  However, when I stayed using points in 2007 I don't recall being charged a thing.  Weird.

december31 Gold

We were just charged 5 Euros for city tax on a 1 night stay on a Reward Certificate in Ghent, Belgium.  We were not informed about this charge until we saw it on the bill at checkout.  Customer Service told me that in some cities they charge this tax but again this was after the fact.

macbradaigh Gold

I complained to Marriott Customer Service and rec'd an apology and refund from the Paris C-E.

crcran Gold

We are scheduled for CE in Paris next month all on points.  We have a confirmation which clearly states that we are responsible for the city tax of the free nights stay.  I am certain if you check your docs you too will see that you were forewarned as our reservation was made last July.  This may not be what you wanted to hear...sorry about that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...