1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 1, 2009 12:08 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Loyalty now

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

http://industry.bnet.com/travel/10003555/talking-to-ihgs-vp-of-loyalty-programs-on-the-psychology-of-point-redemption/

includes a fascinating interview with the VP for loyalty programs at IHG International, (Intercontinental and Holday Inns among their brands).  Some new wrinkles in their program allow people to use their miles/points for airline ticket purchases as well as hotels.  Not that that is new but it sounds good in these times.

Worth a read.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Loyalty now
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

Great article, Stepping Stones, I enjoyed reading it - thanks for the heads-up. 

The author does an amazing job of illustrating differing perceptions about the value of points and how that motivates redemption behavior.  Using points to redeem power tools at Home Depot definitely caught me by surprise; but the guilt angle makes perfect sense. 

While I too am a power tool and woodworking enthusiast, using points to buy a compound sliding miter saw or a combination fixed and plunge router would really upset my other half. While she loves the crown moulding and inlay cabinetry, she much prefers to burn my Rewards points for travel and spa treatments at every opportunity.

Put another way, value is in the pocket of the traveler.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...