1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 26, 2009 4:10 PM by pltnmprincess RSS

Marriott vs other big chains

jamtraveler Silver
Currently Being Moderated

What do you think about Marriotts vs the other chains? We recently stayed at a Sofitel on our honeymoon and we're given a free bottle of champagne and a note from the Guest Services and we stayed one night. When we inforned the Sydney Marriott we were on our honeymoon they did nothing. Not a free drink, room upgrade or anything! I was a bit dissapointed. Overall I find Marriotts to be very good but this one little thing they could have done would have made our experience much more enjoyable.

Do you think is usual practice or maybe we just got unlucky with our Marriott choice?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott vs other big chains
    pltnmprincess Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

I had the pleasure of spending 25 nights in a Hyatt last year and 25 nights so far this year in Starwood hotels (Sheraton, Meridien, Westin...).  The best treatment I ever received was at the Hyatt Melbourne Australia.  I had no status with Hyatt but paid extra for access to the executive lounge.  They put out a gourmet spread every evening and an extensive (cold) breakfast in the morning - 100 times nicer than in Marriott lounges.  The staff could not do enough for me.

I was also treated exceptionally well in the Starwood group.  First of all, Starwood matched my platinum status with Marriott.  When I checked in for my 15 nights at the Meridien, I was automatically upgraded to a suite with access to their lounge.  Breakfast in the lounge was great, but in the evenings there were no snacks, just all the alcohol you could drink.  If I requested snacks, they were more than happy to accommodate.  I filled out my comment form upon checkout and I have been told that now they offer snacks in the evening.  Some of the other lounges in the Sheratons have strange hours.  The one in Sao Paulo opened at 7-7:30pm.  The Sheraton at SFO closed at 7pm (on a thursday). 

While I was super impressed with Hyatt, they are not located where I need to be domestically so I havent stayed there at all this year.  I am currently trying to earn my platinum status at starwood for next year as well as I am impressed with how well they treat their platinum guests.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...