4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2010 12:47 PM by lb14dm RSS

Rome Tour Guide

ideaman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Any suggestions for a private tour guide for a one day tour for 2 couples in their 50s?  Would like to see as much as possible but would like the convenience and efficiency of a private guide.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rome Tour Guide
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Try doing a search on Fodors.com forums.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

karenc Platinum

If you can't find a private tour - I highly recommend Grey Lines.  My husband and I took 5 tours with them last year when we were in ROME.  The trip to Pompeii was terrific.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

It's going to be almost impossible to get the flavor of Rome (even with a great private tour guide) in one day.  My first stay in Rome fifteen years ago was short and I ended up not liking the city very much as a result of a poor hotel experience and not knowing where to go first.

Since that time I go to Rome about five times a year for one-two weeks, and there is so much to see and do!  So I'd urge you to decide what interests you most, e.g., Ancient Rome; Christian Rome; Modern Rome; Museums, Galleries and Music, etc.

Once you have decided, I'd focus on one of those areas and make the most of your day in Rome by getting immersed as much as possible.

Here are some suggestions/favorites for the first two categories (which overlap at times):

Forum, Trajan's Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill

Catacombs

The ancient port of Ostia Antica (but that would probably take a half day)

Basilica of San Clemente (which is amazing and the further down you go the further back in time to Mithraic cults)

Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore

Church of Santa Maria in Trastevere

The part of town, Trastevere, which gives a real flavor of both medieval Rome and modern hip Rome

Vatican including grottoes (save the Museums for another visit)

Great (close) day trips include the gardens at Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa.

Hope this is of some help and that you can at some time spend more time in Rome.  It's a glorious city!

ProfC

lb14dm Platinum 3 Reviews

If you're looking for a great tour guide check out Italy Driving Guide and ask for Pino.  Tell him Lisa B sent you.  You will get the most amazing tour of Rome or anywhere else in Italy you wish to go.  He's been our Tour Guide each time we visit Italy and we've had a great experience.  He's very knowledgeable and the vehicles are very comfy.

e-mail is: info@italydrivinguide.com

The web site is: www.italydrivinguide.com

We are going back in July for about a month and are thinking of trying Central Park so let me know how it was.  Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...