9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2009 10:15 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Boob Tubes from the 1980's at Marriott

benboating Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else noticed how terrible the TV's are at all of the Marriot chains except the resorts? This is really leading me to switch next year to another brand. Let's face it. When on a business trip we are captive to the boob tube or reading. There is only so much I can bond with my lap top in 24 hours. Why does Marriot chase us to the competitiors because they refuse to update the one item that is important to a businsess traveler? 

• Re: Boob Tubes from the 1980's at Marriott
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Some of the resorts have older tube tvs, some of the full service now have flat screens but very few that I've frequented have mastered the HDTV thing yet.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

I recently returned to hotels stayed in Q1 or Q2 2009 and the ones that haven't converted to flat panel are the exception.  The flat panel standard that Marriott adopted requires a pedestal mounted on top of a bureau vs the 'boob' tubes which were very often housed in a combination bureau/entertainment armoire.  

At one full service property, the armoires were being 'decapitated' and retrofit with a stone slab upon which the LG flat panel pedestal is positioned.  It's a much more open look. Now the wall is exposed and it might have to be painted or papered. In order to make the switch, the hotel has to schedule a shut down for a block of rooms.  At this one property, the concierge floor was knocked out during my stay. 

Since the lion's share of properties are franchised, refurbishment and upgrading to a new standard requires substantial cash flows in order to fund the project.  Those that are properly managed will have the funds and the management oversight to take on retrofitting a jumbo jet while airborne and do so w/o one guest having a clue.

BenBoating - consider calling Platinum or the hotel directly and ask if the property has upgraded to the LG flat panel standard.  I think it's a valid point especially for business travelers who might have to work out of their hotel room due to a meeting being abruptly cancelled or rescheduled. 

In most areas, Marriott brands oversaturate the market.  So, more than likely, there is a Marriott brand in the destination market that has upgraded.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Modern TV Lovers:

I've spoken with several Marriott GMs from different brands and learned that there is a corporate retrofit schedule to current (i.e., modern) standards that is implemented across Marriott worldwide.  If you are, say, owner of an older Residence Inn, then you are in the queue for the newer amenities, which include the 42 inch LG flat panel LCDs.  If you are in a courtyard that is older the same applies.  Full service varies depending on age and franchisee desires, I guess, though no one has said that to me.

Soft goods in a guest room, which include the perishable items--drapes, bedding, towels--are replaced on a schedule as well. Hard goods, of which TV is one, are replaced less frequently.  I guess the theory is that the TV is an amenity that everyone takes for granted (remember the changeover to color from black and white, and the appearance of Cable rather than over the air?) but remembers as being out of date when they get home or see a newer model somewhere in the hotel's lobby.

I noticed at the Times Square located Marriott Marquis in NYC that the suites have larger flat screens than the regular rooms. This may also be a brand standard.

So, TVs are replaced on a schedule, known to the corporation, based on newness of the property.  Hope that explains this conundrum of the ancient televisions in the room.

tjcnewyork Platinum

To elaborate on Stepping Stones point about TV replacement, the refurbishment schedule will also include case goods like cabinetry and hard goods like countertops.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1326-1.jpg

Above:  King guest room facing Gillette Stadium, Concierge level at the Renaissance Patriot Place in Foxboro, MA.  Notice the 42 inch LG Flat Panel on the right. Boob tubes are now the exception rather than the rule.

Below:  Close-up of the entertainment and desk console.  The LG Flat Panel sits on column pedestal mounted directly to the top of the cabinet.  All wiring is recessed into the column pedestal delivering a finished appearance with a very clean look.  A black mini-fridge (requested) sits on the floor in front of the full-length mirror.  It's the only detail - not thought out.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1328-1.jpg

TJC and others:  Full service Marriotts have installed the work center to complement the TV, and it varies from the Renaissance model you've pictured.  In fact, that is the beauty of the Renaissance hotels, each is slightly different fom the others--the Las Vegas one for example carries a "Rat Pack" theme (not as bad as that sounds).

I wish Marriott could be as unique rather than the same in all locations.  But there is an economy of scale involved in making corporate buy decisions for an entire chain of properties, I suppose.

Thanks for the excellent photos.

TJC and others:  Full service Marriotts have installed the work center to complement the TV, and it varies from the Renaissance model you've pictured.  In fact, that is the beauty of the Renaissance hotels, each is slightly different fom the others--the Las Vegas one for example carries a "Rat Pack" theme (not as bad as that sounds).

I wish Marriott could be as unique rather than the same in all locations.  But there is an economy of scale involved in making corporate buy decisions for an entire chain of properties, I suppose.

Thanks for the excellent photos.

boomer Platinum

I'm not sure where you are staying but I am finding an increasing number of locations with flat screen LCDs including Courtyards and Fairfields.  Most full line Marriotts I have stayed in have flat panel TVs.   In fact, last week while staying at a Courtyard, I had trouble with my remote control for my big old TV and left a note for housekeeping.  When I returned that night I had a brand new LCD in the room.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Boomer wrote -- "I'm not sure where you are staying but I am finding an increasing number of locations with flat screen LCDs including Courtyards and Fairfields.  Most full line Marriotts I have stayed in have flat panel TVs."

This has been my experience as well.

tjcnewyork Platinum

As shown below, boob tubes from the 1980's is not the case at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa in eastern Connecticut.  This hotel was opened in about six years ago and completed a refurbishment earlier this year.  The refurb included upgrading of all TVs to the LG standard.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1680.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...