13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2010 6:54 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Venice, Italy

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I promised someone a while ago that I'd post my restaurtant research before my trip.  Here are Venice restaurants, in no particular order, that I may well try:

Accademia Pizzeria - Good pizza, lunch, convenient location between Accademia Bridge and Musuem

Harry's Bar - very small Bellini by St. Marks; left on Calle Vallaresso, very expensive

Osteria Santa Maria - Warm, chocolate tart; Creamed Borletto - bean soup w/ tuna, bream filet w/ asparagus au gratin 5911 Castello (Campo Santa Maria near Rialto) "Tues - Sat, 7:30pm - 9:30pm Tel: 39 041 528 5239"

Alle Testiere - Prawns in lime and ginger; pasta alle vongole 5801 Castello (Calle del Mondo Novo) "Tues - Sat, 12:30pm - 2pm and 7:00pm - 9:30pm Tel: 39 041 522 7220 Only 8 tables - tiny, cramped!"

Caffe Florian - "Served Casanova, Chas. Dickens, Proust. Sit at counter for less pricey $" Located in Procuratie Nuove in St. Mark's Square (3 connected buildings)

Hilton Molino Stuckey - Rooftop bar, amazing views!

Monaco Hotel or Gritti Palace  - drinks and terrific views On Grand Canal (from Doge's Palace, make right at canal)

Osteria Mocenigo - Charming, good service, affordable, not a lot of tourists San Croce, 1919 Closed Mondays

Trattoria Da Nico - Won't break budget, typical Venetian S. Marco Frezzeria, 1702 (near St. Mark's) Closed Sundays

Taverna San Trovaso - Warm, inviting, plenty of seating, touristy but ok Dorsodura, 1016 (near Accademia) Closed Mondays

Hosteria ai Coristi - Old world charm, typical Venetian San Marco, 1995 (near Fenice Theater)

Casin dei Nobili - Get there before 8pm (opens at 7:30) Calle del Casin Dorsoduro 2765 (between bus station and Accademia Bridge… 5 min from bridge before Taverna San Trovaso) Closed Mondays

Cava Tappi - Good for lunch, good wine by glass, fantastic Italian lunches Campo della Guerra 525/526

Zucca Bancogiro - Duck breast and canal view (€39/main dish, desert, 1 wine) f

Fun piazza that has more dining is Campo Santa Margherita

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice, Italy
    mastersman Platinum

Thank you for doing the homework on these restraunts in Venice and in Rome. My wife and I will be visiting both cities on our 25th Anniversary Trip in October.

Upon our return, I will return the favor and provide a summary on our "Best" of Venice and Rome as well as what worked and didn't work for us during our trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Masterman,

Will look forward to reading all about your trip!

Am in the process of doing the same trip and need all the information you can provide.

Happy travels!

Hi Jerry,

I just returned from 21 nights in Italy.  Went to Venice, Florence, daytrip to Lucca and Pisa, daytrip to San Gimignano, Sienna, Assisi, daytrip to Orvieto, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast (Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii, Capri as daytrips), and finally, Rome.

I'd be happy to provide you with whatever info I can for your upcoming trip!

Haven't had a chance to do anything with my photos yet, but here are a few from Venice...

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stunning photos NewHilton!

costaricasusan Platinum

Like Jerry Morgan...am planning a trip to same in May.  Looking forward to your report....especially Venice, where the only Marriott is a Courtyard out by the airport.  Uhh!

Thanks very much, TJCNewYork!!!

Here are a few more pics...

CostaRicaSusan, 

You may want to reconsider staying at the Courtyard... it is a very inconvenient location.  I ended up changing hotels before going to Venice.  Sometimes, the inconvenience is not worth the free room using points.

If you plan on taking the bus into Venice for the day, going back to the Courtyard to rest and freshen up, then return to Venice for dinner and an evening out strolling or entertainment, I hate to say it but, you'll end up wasting a lot of time.  And, I believe, that the land bus (which stops close to the CY) and water bus (to the airport) don't run very late, maybe 10:30-11pm.  After that, you'd need to take a land taxi from P. Roma to the hotel which can get expensive.

Prof. Chiarra has mentioned a Best Western in Venice that may be good for you (search under the Hotels forum on this site).  Or, lots of people rent apartments in Europe, even for less than a week.  More room, less expensive.  I believe that rentalsbyowner.com is a good site although I haven't used it.  I met a number of single folks and couples that rented apts for a week or less and were very happy.

orlgal Platinum

Hi,

Any suggestions on places to stay in Almalfi?

@nita

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'm going to Venice in two weeks and plan to stay at a Best Western that is a favorite of mine. It's called the Sant'Elena, has internet access, breakfasts for free, is in the quiet garden area right next to a vaporetto stop that can either take you  toward the Grand Canal or to the Lido. I recommend it highly.

It's been about six years since I've been to Venice.  Can anyone recommend favorite restaurants?  Preferrably not in the Piazza San Marco?

Thanks in advance,

ProfChiara

Dear NewHilton,

I should've known to look to your post before asking the question.  Thanks for the great ideas!

ProfChiara

Glad to be of help, Professor!

Hope you're having a wonderful trip!

It sounds like several of you are planning trips throughout Italy.  Don't miss Assisi, which is beautiful and inspiring.  But I didn't see anyone mention Lucca or Siena.  Both are magnificent!  Let me know if any of you are planning to go to those cities and I can give you some tips.

ProfChiara

PS -- Many many thanks to NewHilton for providing such great info!

You're more than welcome, Professor!

I agree... Lucca, Siena, and Assisi are absolutely wonderful and not to be missed!

I can provide a couple of excellent restaurants in Siena and Assisi, if you're interested!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...