1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 2:24 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

ltmgrn

ltmgrn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Why is it that no matter which  Marriott/Marriott property I stay in around the world   I am confronted with two major problems:1. the desk staff is not fully aware of the incentive awards even though the reservation has been  made using the certificate.2.  I have to beg for an upgrade that I am entitled to.  I am given an ordinary room then I ask if they have an upgrade  and they fumble around because I point out that I am an ELITE PLATINUM  and sure enough after groveling at their feet I get a really nice upgrade.  I should have gotten this upgrade without having to beg for it.  They know I am coming and they have my status.  This is embarrassing, not for me, but it should be for them.  They try to get away from giving away the upgrades so they can sell those rooms, BUT, THE ROOM IS AVAILABLE,  AND I AM ENTITLED TO IT!!!!!  They MUST MAKE MEMBERS OF MY STATUS FEEL MORE  WELCOME AND AWARD THEM FOR THEIR LOYALITY WITHOUT A LOT OF  LIES ABOUT THE UNAVAILABILTY OF AN  UPGRADE.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: ltmgrn
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

Consider requesting a comp upgrade when booking a reservation and calling Platinum Elite or the hotel directly prior to arrival.  This approach works very well for me with two minor exceptions.

In June, I booked a standard room at a full service Marriott on Long Island to attend a wedding that was being hosted at the nearby Hilton.  Turned out that both hotels were fully booked - with weddings and upgrades went to the wedding party.  But, calling Platinum to call the hotel did secure comp upgrade to a junior suite. It wasn't the best upgrade but to compensate, the assistant FD manager offered free internet and BF vouchers w/o blinking an eyelash upon check-in.

In August, I booked a standard room at a CY North of Boston to enjoy leisure sightseeing and requested a comp upgrade to a 1 bedroom king.  Having stayed previously at this location, I called the Front Desk directly.  With regrets they were unable to honor my request for a specific room saying that it was occupied by members of a wedding party.  I asked that my reservation and request be pushed back to an alternate date and booked a new reservation with a comp upgrade at a different property.  When I returned to the CY, they not only honored my comp upgrade, but gave BF vouchers for my loyalty and for the inconvenience of having to rebook.

While I do understand Platinum Elite expectations, demanding that benefits be given w/o making an earnest effort to alert the property is very likely to produce disappointment.  Consider changing approach.  Let the Front Desk know -in advance- what your expectations are via a request.  This is not begging.  It's about the art of negotiating how to ask and when.  In hospitality it is about engagement and experience.  In my experience, placing Marriott in the position of delivering upon stated expectations, an associate will rise to take ownership to ensure complete satisfaction.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...