9 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2010 8:31 PM by herndonrd RSS

AAA Program

rlderoch Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I travel alot and stay at Marriott, I enrolled in the AAA program specifcally to get further discounts on my stays at marriott. I have noticed at time when i go to book a room and click on the AAA discount that the price is actually higher than if i did not click on the button any reason why this occurs?  has this happened to anyone else?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Colorado, USA
  • Re: AAA Program
    hospitalguy Platinum

Yes it happens to me too!  I was perplexed for many weeks.  However, if I look at the type of room offered... it will be an upgraded room rather than the room type that I usually book.  If I legitimately compare apples-to-apples and the rate is more than the "No Special Rate" room then a quick call to the hotel has always (100% of the time) booked the room at the rate I saw originally or less 10% due to misinformation on the website.  Our AAA card should be worth a discount of some degree and I have never had a problem convincing the hotel staff.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Happened to me as well and I have noticed that the associates never ask to see my AAA card when I check in so that makes that discount (such as it is) a little less than stellar or exclusive.

I have found that the weekends are normally cheaper using AAA at full service Marriott hotels than the normal weekend rate, if that helps.

Wish Marriott had a button for best and cheapest rate rather than the current maze of discounts.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Excellent topic - AAA member here too.  For business or leisure, I routinely compare Standard, AAA, MEB and various promotion rates only to encounter similar discrepancies reported. 

In the northeast, there are several properties who engage in the practice of setting the AAA rate higher than the standard rate all the time. It is my understanding that the setting of rates is handled by the hotel's revenue manager.  When these discrepancies are evident, my reaction is to cross-off that hotel and move on to properties in or near the target destination with rates in line with expected discounts and my budget.

Bottom-line, the revenue manager did his/her hotel a disservice.  Instead of delivering upon the Marriott promise for the lowest rate guaranteed, they intentionally violated it.  If there are deceptive rate practices, then what other disservice might a guest encounter at that property?  I have already been down that road, and feel no need to relearn lessons-learned.

As said repeatedly before, the guest experience starts with reservations and follows-through to check-out.  This 'rate' topic merits inclusion in a 'hard stop' review Stepping Stones recommended earlier.

TJC:  What is the MEB rate?  That's a new one on me.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

What is the MEB rate?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

MEB Marriott E-Breaks - US/Canada

Disregard previous question.

thanks

• MEB RATE
    klaus29 Silver

is the meb  rate  cheaper??

herndonrd Platinum

What I have found (for hotels here in Colorado) is that the AAA rate is normally cheaper during the week, and sometimes cheaper on the weekends (unless there is a MEB or some other promotion going on).  From my account, when I put in AAA, it also pops up any member discount rates as separate tabs, so that you can see what is the cheapest rate.  Doesn't that happen for each of you?  As someone stated, AAA doesn't always have the same room types as the cheapest rates do, although we normally get some type of upgrade just about everywhere we go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...