5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 12:01 PM by californian RSS

Paradise Lost;  Virgin no more

caribchic Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from the worst Marriott experience EVER!  Once a proud Queen among resorts in the Caribbean,  Marriott Frenchman's Reef is a disgrace to the reknowned Marriott standards for outstanding, amiable staff, excellent service, impressive properites, and well lmaintained accommodations and grounds.  From check-in, where my 'high floor' main blg. request turned out to be third floor, annex building, we had to wait 3 hours for a room on the fifth floor, same annex(this at 5 in the afternoon after traveling since 4 am.)  That room, which cost me 2 upgrade levels, turned out to be in a five story building of perhaps 100 rooms and only ONE elevator, ONE ice machine for the whole blg. at the end of the world's slowest elevator ride.  Halls were dark, narrow, had an odor.  Bathrooms had dim lighting and what looked like cabinets from the 1970's.  The tub looked unscrubbed.  After just one hour, the room keys didn't work.  LONG walk to the main blg for new keys.  After breakfast the next day, new room keys didn't work.   Called security who took 15 minutes to arrive (glad I was'nt being attacked)   The guard was arrogant, surly and abrupt,--treaated me like I was too stupid to use the key correctly.  When he was unsuccessful after numerous tries, and had to call mainenance, there was no apology for the inconvenience.  He just got on the radio and mumbled that someone would come.  After 1/2 hour when maintenance  didn't arrive, I went to the beach fully clothed b/c it was over 90 and the hallway wasn't airconditioned.  Two hours later, still unable to get into my room, I asked to speak with the property manager.  She assured me she'd get maintenance right up there,  I told her of my check-in request, and she indicated she'd get me a better room in the main bldg after maintenance got my room unlocked by installing a new card reader-- (my bathing suit was still locked in the room, and my husband, who had been on the beach for hours, was already anxious to come back to the room to take a shower.!)  She said a new and better room would be ready about 2.  By 4 o'clock, the room still wasn't ready.  When we finally got in the new room on the eighth floor at 5, it was next to the Presidential Suite.  Sounds luxurious, but the rooms are separated by only a door and my Presidential neighbors could be heard late into the night every night for a week.  Dining room staff is lovely, maintenance and security are  unfriendly.  Check in staff is unaware of particulars of the rooms; it was another guest that informed us about the one ice machine--the girls at the desk told us there was one on every floor.  All questions about our breakfast plan received a different answer.  The toilet paper holder fell out of the wall every day.  There are open exposed wires out of electric boxes for tennis court spotlights.  I fell on water spilling out of the ice machine adjacent to the bar;  a guest came right over to help me and ask how I was;  the bar tender just looked away--any other property staff would be very attentive and helpful.   Other than delicious breakfast and that heavenly Marriott bed, it was a nightmare.  Every square inch of the walls and blgs. need a fresh coat of paint.  The carpeting at the ballroom thorofare reeked--imagine greeting wedding guests with a stench.  We aren't alone in our opinion;  other guests were complaining about poor plumbing, lights out, keys that didn't work, restaurants closed, a dirty beachside pool, inadequate and uninformed check-in staff, check-in lines that wound around the lobby that could be avoided with preparation for heavily booked flights coming in.  THe only guests that seemed to be satisfied were the very young for whom this was a first time hotel experience, or for those who've never been to another Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...