2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 8:15 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Ocean City's Hidden Gem-Captain's Table

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A perennial pitstop of the Washington DC elite vacationing in Ocean City Maryland or nearby Rehoboth Beach Delaware and regarded as the best restaurant in Ocean City, the Captain's Table was demolished along with the Santa Maria Motel after the 2004 season and recently reopened after a brief delay as the Captain's Table.

The restaurant overlooks Baltimore Ave and is 'hidden' in the brand new Courtyard by Marriott On the Boardwalk at 15th St. and N. Baltimore Ave, Ocean City, Maryland.*  No way a cookie-cutter Courtyard Cafe, and unlike it's former dark wood-stained interior, the Captain's Table is a welcome surprise - charming, elegant and fresh.

Ocean City is at best a 2 hour drive from Annapolis (2.75 hours from Washington DC), but the Captain's Table will not disappoint.  Our expectations were exceeded from being seated through 3 courses to an impromtu meeting with the chef. 

After 2 days on seafood, I was really in the mood for a mouth-watering ribeye steak dinner.  When I saw exactly that on the menu - I set expectations low - since it was a Courtyard property.  To my pleasant surprise, the dining experience exceeded that of Ruth Chris and Hawk's Landing at the Orlando World Center!

It turns out that the family owning the former Captain's Table and Santa Maria Motel signed a franchise agreement with Marriott.  The chef spilled all the details - it is quite fascinating.  Hilton, Holiday Inn and Quality Inn dominate the Ocean City market.  Marriott is new in this market and has been sold-out since day 1.  (I had to call Platinum Elite every day for a week and a half to reserve a 1 bedroom king oceanfront using points.)

According to the chef, the owners are struggling with the perception that hotel restaurants are second to individually owned and operated establishments.  For the record, the Captain's Table breaks the mold and is the best Ocean City has to offer.  My wife and I walked the entire boardwalk searching for a restaurant beyond the french fries and fisherman's platter offering only to discover a unique dining experience at the Courtyard by Marriott in the Captain's Table.

When in Ocean City, the Captain's Table is a hidden gem.

* Ocean City Today:  Former resort ready to reopen

• Re: Ocean City's Hidden Gem-Captain's Table
    pointsrmylife Platinum

100% agreement on the Captains Table-Unfortunately  the Hotel did not live up to ours and many other guests expectations or Marriott standards-the advertised outdoor pool was indoors and the size of a large hot tub-the sun deck was  too small and could not accomadate more than 20-The balcony's on the rooms are 5 ft by 5ft  with zero privacy above, below ,left or right.There are also condo's on the 5th floor for sale that dwarf floors one through 4. They are charging category 5 rates -it is not a catagory 5 hotel-thank goodness the Captains table gave us the one vacation experience worth the  points used for the week.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ocean City's Hidden Gem-Captain's Table
    tjcnewyork Platinum

PointsRMyLife

Thanks for commenting on the Captain's Table and regrets to hear that you are disappointed with the hotel. The photos below taken on an overcast September 7th illustrate what you describe.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1309.jpg

Above:  Courtyard by Marriott Ocean City Boardwalk looking west 15th Street from the Boardwalk.  This CY has 91 guest rooms on floors 1 through 4.  There are condos on the 5th floor.  The Lobby, Captain's Table Restaurant, Pool, Sun Deck, Hot Tub and Guest Rooms are on the 3rd floor.  With the exception of a row of guest rooms located at Boardwalk level facing the ocean and a relatively small entrance with stairs and elevator, the entire first floor is for parking mixed with guest arrival.

Below:  Overlooking the Ocean City Boardwalk and beach looking south from the end balcony on the 3rd floor.  Note that the aquamarine blue panels are transparent and allow views of guests above and below and in this case to the immediate right of the balcony where the photo is taken.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1283.jpg

Below:  This photo was also taken on an overcast 9/7.  It is possible for someone on an adjacent balcony to see into another guest room.  Given the depth of the balcony is only 5 feet, the patio door curtains and door would have to be completely open, but the sofa and desk would be in plain view from either side.  On a sunny day, more might be visible because light penetrates well into the room.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1299.jpg

Figuring that one day and night at Ocean City on the Boardwalk and overlooking the beach was well worth redeeming 25,000 points, we were reasonably satisfied. Regarding the pool, hot tub and sun deck, PointsRMyLife's description is accurate.  Since we went to Ocean City to experience the beach and the boardwalk, we did not make use of these amenities. I do agree with expectations about better amenities and a full service offering at a Category 5 hotel, it is my understanding from the Captain's Table chef that the Courtyard Ocean City Boardwalk will be rolling out Room Service soon.

The question is, will incidentals at this CY earn MR points?  According to T&C, they do not. The Captain's Table is independently owned and operated.  In a seasonal market and a struggling economy, the absence of participation in the Marriott Rewards program may present major challenges for what otherwise, I consider to be a welcome addition to Ocean City.  Btw: There are more photos and candid reviews about the Courtyard Ocean City Boardwalk at TripAdvisor.com

-- Edited by TJCNewYork at 09/16/2009 7:27 AM EDT See text added in blue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...