2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2009 2:25 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

"Big Deal - Not Worth It"

go4fun Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from a 10-day stay at the Lodge and frankly, it was less than impressive.  We stayed in a cottage for a week on points and then added two extra days over the Labor Day weekend due to Marriott's blackout of points for those days.  Not surprising since the rate was over $400 per night including tax and that was the senior rate.  At that kind of room rate I was expecting something really wonderful like Desert Ridge or Desert Springs.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Our one really positive interaction was with the concierge prior to arrival.  She was outstanding.  Set up dining reservations and every one was just wonderful.  Unfortunately, that was the single high point of our experience at the Lodge.  Check in was sub-par with nothing said about level of participation, no particular welcome, just a simple "ho-hum" experience.  Our room was interesting but certainly nothing special.  Had a bathroom configuration that seemed to indicate a remake that just didn't work.  Two doors opening in toward each other with the light switch around behind the opened door.  Go figure.  Floor was dirty enough that every day I left tracks in the tub when entering to shower.  Waste baskets not emptied one day (a weekend).  Took three requests to get extra wine glasses as requested.  Service in the bar was nearly non-existent because the bartender was spending time with someone she seemed to know.  Got a Wall Street Journal half the days which I don't even have requested.  Food in the restaurant was expensive but not memorable like some of the places we ate.  Got directions from a different concierge that were incorrect and we nearly did not find the restaurant.

The list truly goes on and on.  Small things perhaps, but at the rate they were charging, it simply wasn't worth it.  If I were to go again, I'm sorry to say that I'd simply select another hotel that would have to be a non-Marriott, since this is the only Marriott in the valley, and pay to stay.  Too bad.  Has lots of potential but not living up to it.

Although I'm not platinum, I am only 6 nights from it and will be there soon.  I stay at lots of Marriotts and generally really like them.  It just seems to me that the most frequent guests and supporters of Marriott should be made to feel special.  Perhaps it is the fault of my expectations.  It certainly didn't occur during my recent stay.  Frankly, I've been treated better in a non-Marriott entry-level motel.  Sad day.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Big Deal - Not Worth It"
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Go4Fun,

Thanks for the information!

This will help all of us plan a trip with this in mind.

Good travels,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Big Deal - Not Worth It"
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Go4Fun

Are you referring to the Renaissance Lodge in Sonoma or another property? When you mention 'cottage' type accomodations, I've read positive TripAdvisor reviews about the place; but Renaissance is not Marriott Vacation Club if you're expecting Shadow Ridge or Desert Springs. I vacationed in Desert Springs in July 2009 and agree that a villa experience is unique.

No matter what the brand, the housekeeping issues described are surprising.  Consider reporting it to Customer.Care@marriott.com to make sure that it is not repeated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...