5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2011 1:48 AM by techie RSS

Travelling to London

jrhatlanta Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Travelling to London with  my wife and staying @ JW Marriott Grosvenor House. Flying into Heathrow and want to know the best way to get to the Hotel. Is the Underground a viable method or is a shuttle better?

• Re: Travelling to London
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

JRHAltanta,

You are in for a treat!

I will include a few pictures for you as well!

First off, the number and ease of the luggage you have will make a large difference.  We always take the tube, (NOT the express to Paddington) and get out at the intersection of Hyde Park and Green Park at Park Lane.

We then walk up on the East side of Park lane a few blocks to the Grosvenor.  It's that simple.  If you have a lot of luggage, you may need a taxi from the tube station, but try to avoid shuttles from Heathrow as it will cost you plenty.

While at the JWG, enjoy a small but charming Concierge Lounge, the staff is great!  Likewise, for a relaxing pup experience visit the Audley on Audley Street just out the back door away from the park.

Please remember to use the "Big Red Bus", as you can't get a better way to see London and it leaves across the street from the Hyde Park side of the JWG.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brianp Platinum 60 Reviews
    We just got back the middle of August and you have many options (tube, lots of private train companies, express trains, taxi) but the cheapest is the tube. We flew in on Delta and out on Continental so we flew in/out of Terminal 4. Regardless of your terminal you can take a free train btwn terminals. From Terminal 4 we caught the tube into central London but had to make 3 connections which if you have lots of luggage will be difficult to drag around. 1-2 bags is fine. We purchased week long Oyster cards for zones 1-2 (Zone 1 is enough really to see everything you want to see and we were there two weeks). We paid the upcharge tube/Oyster card fee for a single trip from zone 5 to zone 1. With all that each Oyster card was 29 pounds which gave us unlimited 7 days of tube use. Oh, and you can use your Oyster card on all London public transportation (known as TFL) buses in those zones too. The Oyster card is a GREAT deal! Don't forget to go to a tube station the night before you leave and turn in your Oyster card and get your 3 pound Oyster card deposit back per card. The attendant may gripe that it takes him time but it's worth the 10 minutes it took him to reimburse us for all three of our cards. Beware, the cost of a train to/from central London was EXPENSIVE! Like 80 pound one way. We splurged and paid for a taxi on the return due to our luggage expansion. We got a one way taxi for 50 pound which is the going rate for a weekday morning if you make the arrangements yourself. Up to 5 people per taxi and we squeezed 5 suitcases in the taxi. I walked up to a taxi parked in front of the Marriott County Hall circle drive the day before we left and made arrangements to pick us up at 9AM the next morning. Mick gave us his mobile # in case we wanted to cancel. He was there early waiting for us, gave us a great ride and conversation on the way. It was a great deal and took us about 30 minutes to drive on a Friday morning. If the Concierge reserves a taxi for you it'll be 65 pound since they up-charge. I got the same taxi for MUCH less by talking to Mick directly :-) Two more tidbits of helpful travel info: 1) If you're going to rent a car and drive in Central London avoid M-F 6am-6pm (I think those are the hours) where cameras take a picture of your license plate and send you a bill for 14 pound a day congestion charge. You can drive in Central London (Zone 1) outside these times with no charge but it's very expensive to pay for parking to the tube is always your best bet. I rented a car at Hertz on Saturday, booked it in USA and got a GREAT deal (202 pound for 8 full days). The VW Bluemotion Passat manual transmission averaged 56.6MPG over 1230 miles on a 8 day trip up to Scotland inbtwn the two weeks in London. Bring your GPS and buy the UK maps or you'll regret it! Use pay about $150 for the Hertz GPS. 2) I had to keep in touch while travelling but AT&T wanted to charge me $1.95/minute to use my own phone to call back to the USA. Instead I happened across Carphone Warehouse (they're all over the UK) and paid a flat 5 pound for a cheap Samsung cell phone that wprked great and bought 10 pound prepaid minutes. Calls to the USA were 6p a minute. AT&T ought to be ashamed! If your phone is already unlocked then Carphone Warehouse will give you the SIM chip for free if you buy a 10 pound prepaid minutes. You can recharge prepaid minutes in 10 pound increments on the phone but if you go to a Tesco/Tesco Express grocery store or some other places yu can recharge in 5 pound increments. They print the activation code on your receipt and you follow the voice prompts to enter it an bingo! Hope this helps! Brian

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

A couple of things:

80 pounds to take the train from the airport to downtown is way more than I have ever encountered.

Even the thought of driving in London should never be considered for anyone who is not a local.  You would be better served spending your holiday in a straight jacket at your most despised in laws!

brianp Platinum 60 Reviews

80 pounds does seem excessive doesn't it Jerry.  It was awhile ago now but that was probably for the three of us in 2009.  I just priced the fare from Paddington to Heathrow on http://www.heathrowexpress.com/Home for 26 pounds pp first class.

Alternatively we have purchased Zone 1-2 & Zone 1 5-day Oyster cards with a one way single day extra fee to travel from Heathrow terminal 4/5 to Zone 1 where we switch to the Tube and the price was extremely reasonable.  A one way fare from Victoria to Heathrow is 5 pound cash/4.50 Oyster: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/farefinder/current/default.aspx.

Honestly, driving in London isn't that big of a deal if you've driven in especially Boston or LA and even Dallas/Houston during rush hour.  But I agree that I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's not used to driving in big city bumper to bumper at high speed traffic or who is freaked out driving on the wrong ;-)  side of the road. Except for a couple visits when I had an automatic transmission on other visits I've rented a manual transmission vehicle for significantly less money.  If you select an auto you pay through the nose, at least with Hertz.  There's other local rentals over the web I've noticed for much less but I've never used them so I can't recommend.  With a manual you have to clutch/shift/AND drive on the left side of the road which I don't recommend your first attempt at driving in London as that would be dangerous.

I did return for 23 days in May 2010 on a father and son trip and while in central London (Marriott County Hall! What an amazing property!!) we just Oyster cards from Heathrow and the Tube, bus and good old feet for five days where we accumulated numerous blisters on blisters and applied lots of plasters!  We rented with Hertz in London by Victoria Coach Station and drove all around the country surrounding London to many POIs.  What a great trip!

The last two rentals I've rented a VW Passat TDI BlueMotion with a manual.  It's an imperial gallon but I got >56MPG in this thing and drove over 1300 miles on this latest trip!  That was lots of stop/go's/round abouts.  On VW's web it has a rated 89MPG. Amazing!  Wish I could buy one in the US.  Better yet, a TDI Bluemotion Hybird would be even better with deisel (and gas) prices going up again.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

It is 64 pounds return to take the Heathrow Express to and from Paddinton Station.  Under 10 pounds should get you a taxi from there to your hotelg.  Total cost of 84 pounds return.

If you want to take the tube, it takes a long time, you switch stations, struggle with luggage, etc.

Buy an oyster card to get around on the bus/tube/etc

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...