23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 12:33 PM by kc-platinum RSS

Wailea Marriott

lynne00 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, so I'm wondering if anyone has stayed at the Wailea Marriott Resort and Spa property recently?  I'm using points, haven't had a vacation in 4 years, and I want this vacation to be stress free and perfect ;-)  I hope I picked the right place.  I have 2 concerns. 1) The reviews on-line with travel websites don't depict this property in a good light. ????? 2) Had a good friend and her husband stay at a Marriott in Lahaina (using her points) and she said that she felt like they were treated poorly due to paying with points as opposed to cash.  ????  I would like any honest feedback that may prepare me for this trip.  My husband and I soooo need this time away and want it to be pleasurable and stress-free.  Will this happen?

• Re: Wailea Marriott
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Lynne

Reports about Wailea continue to be mixed which is to be expected considering the economy in general and higher expectations for a location that is remote and requires extensive travel. The bright side is that all Marriott resorts in Hawaii are participating in a huge celebration, Hawaii Five-O to celebrate 50 years of statehood.  If your budget allows, you may consider combining points with a 1 night paid stay to obtain the special offers and the upgrade.

For a very positive Insider review about Wailea: Timman. The most negative report to me personally involve breaches to the smoke-free policy, but overall, I've heard accolades about the location and the dining options.

Also consider doing a search on 'Wailea' at Insiders as it is one of the popular resorts on Maui.  I've stayed at the Maui Ocean Club, a Marriott Vacation Club resort on the northwestern section of Maui at Ka'anapali Beach.  In my experience, a restful, stressfree Hawaiian vacation is all about the beach and the sunset.  Ka'anapali from that perspective is singular and spectacular.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

I don't know what you are reading or hearing, but the WAilea marriott is a great property with great service.  Both my wife and I and my son and daughter and their spouses have stayed here at various times over the past 3 years --- and found the property and service to be remarkable.

The rooms are superb, the views spectacular, the servie great and the property amenities are wondersul.  With two secluded beaches - one o either side of the property - and several pools including a new infinity pool, the range of great activities and recreation on property is sifgnificant.

The only negative is the restaurant prices --- but even those are competitive for a hotel restaurant in the upscale Wailea area of Maui.  And, if you are worried about being overpriced, a number of local restaurants are in a very nice outdoor shopping mall within  a two block walk.

You will have a wonderful time as long as your realize that most everything in the way of food in Hawaii - especially fresh fruits and vegies - is several notches higher in price compared to the mainland.  I suggest that as soon as you arrive in Maui, do a Costco run to purchase as many groceries as you wish.  The maui Costco is a mile from the airport right on Dairy Road --- which is the road leading to the airport.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phxpashun8 Platinum

My husband and I have chosen to spend our 20th wedding anniversary at this property, at the end of this month.  Because this is such a special time, for us, I have opted to book an "oceanfront" view room.  Am I crazy?  

This is the first year I've made MR platinum so I'm not experienced in what to expect as far as upgrades go...  In other words, should I save my money and book a no view room and EXPECT to be upgraded?  How big of risk is that?  I don't understand, honestly, what exactly the property is required to do in regards to an upgrade.  We are paying for the room, not using points.  I'd rather spend my money on mai-tais and at the spa -- but an outstanding room is REALLY important to us.  

If I do keep the expensive room -- should we expect any other sort of upgrade -- such as a suite?  (but the on-line map does not show any suites with the best views...)  

Any guidance/input on this subject would be most appreciated!

I know it's a resort -- but what about breakfast?  Shouldn't we get something for spending all this money and being plat?  Or am I expecting too much?

When I made the reservation -- on-line -- I did mention it's our 20th anniversary.  Should I call the property and make sure everything is in order?

I just want this trip/stay to be as perfect as possible -- with as little anxiety as possible!  Thanks.

tjcnewyork Platinum

PHXPashun

Congratulations on earning Platinum Elite and on your 20th Anniversary.  Those are two major milestones for sure.  Regards Wailea or any other reservation, here's some suggested steps:

1. Consider rebooking a standard room at the lower rate online. 
    2. Add a note requesting:  "Comp upgrade to 1BR King oceanfront"
    3. Call Platinum Elite Reservations 1-800-399-4229 (US) between 7:30 am to noon, ~Hawaii~ time (to ensure the agent connects with a decision-maker).
    4. Ask Platinum Elite for assistance regards your special request and why.  The agent should volunteer to call the hotel for you, if not ask.  Say, "Take your time, I'll hold."
    5. The agent will give you feedback on availability.  Generally, upgrades at resorts are not confirmed, but exceptions are made especially when Platinum calls. Ask the name of the person who the agent spoke with.
    6. Be persistent.  Call everyday until you nail it.  Some agents are more experienced than others and will offer suggestions.  For example, Wailea may have a double queen oceanfront available.  Take it, but continue to target the desired room type until available.
    7. Once the upgrade is confirmed, call the property directly at least 48 hours prior to arrival and reconfirm.  Get the name of the Front Desk person.  Ask if he/she will be there at your arrival.  

The point of this exercise is to make sure that the associates you deal with grasp that they are accountable for delivering the customer service that you deserve.  As Platinum Elite you are leveraging your status to have someone as a champion.  You've earned it, no need to go solo.  It's work, involves time but worth the effort plus you are saving $ because of the benefits earned.

PHX --- Good questions

However, another option would be to disclose that this is your 20th and see what happens -----

Here's what happened to my diaghter and her new husband at the Wailea Marriott in 2007:

1.  I made the MR reservation with the Plat elite desk for a standard king room under my Paltinum number.

2. I told the Plat desk that this actually is a honeymoon stay for my daughter and her new husbaznd -- who would be married same day that they would be checking in.

3.  Then - the surprise came;  The hotel blocked an ocean front double suite and waived the resort fee.

4.  My son had prepaid a breakfast for them BUT the hotel comped a second breakfast for the following day.

None of this was planned ---- yes, we did take a "cance" as to what would happen, but my experiences with these kinds of special events for Palts have always been full of great surprises.

The GM of the Wailea Marriott - Bill Countryman - is a person we know from his amazing and wonderful treatment of guests at the Kaua'i Marriott during the incredible floods that affected that island three years ago.  Our experience at the Wailea Marriott over the past two years was no different in terms of great treatment of guests.

Enjoy!

phxpashun8 Platinum

I finally found a Marriott cust serv agent on the plat line that is willing to go the extra mile -- sort of...  Getting a cust supp agent to help has been a real challenge.

I have 2 reservations:  one for the room I want at about $360 a night, and one for the standard room for about $180 a night.  What I want is a guaranteed upgrade, at the standard room rate to the room with the ocean facing view -- if available, it's my understanding that as a platinum, that is what's done -- Correct?

Well, the Marriott cust supp agent called the hotel for me and the GM is going to get back to her as to which is better -- use points for the ocean facing room OR guarantee the ocean facing room for the standard price.  The cust supp agent says the hotel has to decide not only what's best for the guest but what is best for them...  WHOA!   I don't want to use points -- I need the night credits as I'm not traveling on business this year AND I already have $$$ in Marriott gift checks to use!   If the room is available, shouldn't we get the upgrade without having to use points?  I hate asking for help...

The thing is, we have a limited budget -- a decent budget, but not huge.  I know there are (and most likely WILL be) ocean facing rooms available -- If I have to spend our money on the room, that's less "extras"  to spend it on...  And, we had planned to splurge on the spa and a cabana, etc...  Oh, well.

I see another gentleman has posted a reply to this thread and named the GM -- maybe I should just call the hotel, directly?

phxpashun8 Platinum

Country Jim:

I pray I have as good of luck and response as you did.  20 years ago, we were supposed to honeymoon in Hawaii -- my husband wanted to go to his cousin's wedding the weekend after ours, so I was a sport and we ended up going to the Pocono's, instead.  It was wonderful, of course it was our honeymoon!  But it wasn't Hawaii.

So, here we are 20 years later... I don't ask for much.  Just what I've earned and deserve.  Anything extra is great -- and really, it's hard for me to even ask -- but I want this to be special. 

Having worked for an airline for a number of years, up until about 2 years ago, I've never been silver, gold, or platinum anything before now!  And since I did travel for my new job, a LOT, last year, I want this trip to be especially wonderful for my husband and me.

Thanks for listening (reading).  I think I'll wait and see what the cust supp agent comes back with and possibly contact the hotel/GM directly, after that... 

Part of me wonders who you worked with at the Plat desk and if there is any way to communicate directly with each other from this website (I haven't looked/tried).

Thanks for the inspiring story,

Suzy

PHX---

Yes, you CAN contact anyone you choose ---- and going top-down by contacting the GMs office may work.

However, I prefer to "work the process" by----

1) making an upgrade request in the Remarks box on the bottom of page 2 of the reservation screens.  Something like --- "request platinum upgrade to ocean view suite".

2. If you call the hotel directly later, ask for the person who does "room blocking".  He/she is the point person who assigns rooms - a key person to contact.

Doing this makes points with associated because it affirms their work, they will appreciate the fact that you recognize their effort, and -in turn - they will be more likely to recognize and reward your Plat status.

Good luck!

jamtraveler Silver

Stayed here in 2008 and it was great. I'd only say that if you want a quiet room make sure your room doesn't face the bar area, at night it can get loud. Overall though there were plenty of pools to choose from, food and drinks were great. I'd definitely recommend it.

hhh888 Silver

We just came back from Wailea Marriott Resort and Spa, after 7 days stay.  It was a great experiece.  The property is great, so as the services.  Pools are nice and next to the ocean.  The restaurant, Mala, serves breakfast and dinner and the food is great.  It property is next to the Wailea Shopping Center, walking distance, which has more restaurants to choose from.  It was a best feeling when you are in the pool watching the sunset.

northerndan Gold

My wife and I have stayed at the Wailea Marriott twice.  The first time was right after the remodel in January 2008.  The second time was a year later in January 2009.  We are planning are third trip back in February 2011.

We loved it.  The rooms are nice.  The serenity pool is out of this world.  Sitting on a bluff overlooking the ocean.  If you go during whale season you can watch them play from poolside!  It will never be confused with the Four Seasons or Grand Wailea, but it is a great property nonetheless.

awcsret Platinum

I used points to give my son and his bride 7 nights at the Wailea Marriott for thier honeymoon in Oct 09.  They had an absolutely wonderful time, loved the hotel and the service was exceptional.  My son told me after their return that they were so pampered he wasn't sure how much more pampering he could have taken.

impulsivepuppy Platinum

We are going back to this property for the 4th time on points in as many years.  It is amazing there, never felt like I was treated 'point-class' by anyone.  Anyhow, how would they know unless they checked you in?  Don't worry and have an amazing time!

goodyear Platinum

We stay at the resort in 2008 and booked 2 rooms.  I would say this was the best vaction in 30 years of traveling and our kids (19-25) agree! Judy at the front desk was amazing; real Ahola spirit!  We went to Kaui in 2009, did not compare, so we are planning to be in Wailea again in March of 2010.

97redrocket Platinum 1 Reviews

My wife and I spent 10 days at Wailea. It was a most pleasurable experience. We had ocean front room, the staff was very courteous and helpful. In fact, upon our arrival, the manager sent us champange and chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary. We plan on going back.

Things I would do differently:

I would skip the Luau. its pricey and once in a lifetime is enough

Spend more nite time in Lahaina ... good food and clubs

Relax on the beach more

marlifer Platinum

My wife and I have stayed at the Wailea property 3 out of the last 4 years and always using points.

By the way, we will be going back this February

The folks at this property do a great job paid or otherwise

Wailea is a great part of the island with great restaurants and outdoor activities

Have Fun !!!

bartho Platinum 2 Reviews
    WE used to always stay on Kaanapali but a couple of years ago we couldn't get in as it has gone 100% timeshare so we booked Wailea. Loved It. I am a Platinum Rewards member and they upgraded us to a suite and it was a great vacation. It is convenient to the Shops at Wailea and there are some good restaurants there. Good luck, and enjoy. We are already planning next years trip.

davefromto Platinum

My family and I just spent 7 days @ the Wailea Marriott (using Marriott points for two rooms).  The property that the resort sits on is pristine, the restaurant Mala is top rate, unfortunately the service is not.  I might be nit-picking here (you be the judge) but in seven nights we had two plumbing problems (a very large vibration that latest 5 to 9 minutes each time and was deafening) the resort fixed our problem (apparently a broken screw on the second attempt) but we heard the sound reverberating around the resort nightly (must be a large plumbing issue within this resort or at least the building that we were in; building 5 for your reference), the resort missed our wake-up call 2 out of 3 nights (at least the second time they called 85 minutes later stating that the phones had been down, (unsure why they did not send someone to our room to confirm that we were awake?), the locals used the kids pool as a babysitting service (no Marriott personal asked anyone of the locals to leave the area) and over the course of our stay our children had to compete for slide, pool and lounger time with locals who went home for lunch (I understand it was spring break, but why make it that easy for everyone to use the resort at the expense of guest), on the same topic; at the main pool a group of 7 local male young adults spent an afternoon (bragging very loudly and using foul language that they had been asked to leave the boarding Hilton, Four Seasons & Fairmont within the last 2 hours) drinking (out of their own vodka bottle, in plain site) and partying without anyone from Marriott doing anything (although I heard at least four quests complain to staff, prior to our family moving to another pool).  Lastly the concierge was very happy to see us until we did not want to see the Marriott Timeshare presentation and then did a very cursory job at best and to be honest most of his advice was directly from a map that he handed to us and hence was not particularly informative or useful information (we solved the issue by dining @ the Four Seasons and getting information from the concierge at the hotel, he was helpful, gracious and very accommodating.  PS DUO the restaurant @ the Four Seasons was wonderful and I highly recommend it).

The result was a less than outstanding experience at this hotel, I am sure that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on service alone, but the property is spectacular!  My suggestion; pay a little more and stay @ the Four Seasons (which is very hard to say for a Platinum member with over 1.3 million Marriott points who is simply looking for value for his travelling dollar) which is just a 5 to 8 minute leisurely stroll away!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"The result was a less than outstanding experience at this hotel, I am sure that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on service alone"

DavefromTO: 

I don't think you're nitpicking at all.  By local statute, beaches are public property.  While I firmly believe that Marriott should be hospitable to anyone setting foot on their property, the behavior and conduct you and other guests reported should have been swiftly and professionally handled by Loss Prevention. Drinking and use of foul language is very offensive and threatening.  I would not want to be exposed to that anywhere and certainly not on vacation with my wife and family.  LP's laxity is cause for ongoing guest concern. 

I see from your profile that you are a very active traveler loyal to Marriott and Sheraton.  Consider escalating this matter by writing to Customer.Care@Marriott.com and include the Confirmation #.  Describe in detail what you experienced and name any associates you recall speaking with.  Be assured that Marriott Customer Care will handle this very seriously.  Proactive LP can make a huge difference in a guest experience.  Rather than an unforgettable stay at Wailea with your family, you are compelled to recommend the Four Seasons.  That's not right! 

Consider a request for a refund plus bonus compensation.  Wailea Marriott should be on the hook for their failure to deliver upon Marriott's promise to every guest to be Relaxed, Revived and Re-Energized. Your review speaks to the very opposite. Good luck and thanks in advance for posting back.

davefromto Platinum

Thank you excellant advice, I will be writing Marriott customer service by the end of the week.

Cheers and once again thanks,

mrhodgee Platinum

A couple of points that I would recommend to any Platinum members going to the Islands for vacation, especially Maui.  We very much enjoy the Wailea Marriott.  My wife and I have stayed there 7 or 8 times in the last 12 years and pretty much have it down to a science:

Time to travel -

If you have flexability and no kids strongly suggest going in either Sep/Oct/May.  These are the "off season" months with very few kids, and in the case of Sep/Oct they are generally the driest months.

Room Upgrade -

Book the first night at the lowest available rate for a garden or terrace room, and then points for the balance of the trip.  Paying for the first night generally helps with an upgrade.  In addition e-mail the GM of the property approx. 60 to 90 days in advance letting them know of your upcoming trip and a request to an Ocean front room.  I have always been contacted by their Assistant and have always gotten at a minimum an upgrade to an Ocean View, and usually an Ocean Front room or suite.

Meals -

Breakfast will set you back a college tuition if you eat there for a week.  Suggest two options:

-  Walk next door to the Shops at Wailea and have a nice breakfast at Cheeseburgers in Paradise for less than $10.00 per person

-  Take the short drive into Kihei and eat where the locals do.  Great food, plenty to see and half the price.  This is also an excellent option for dinner as well as the bars.

Mahalo!

kc-platinum Gold 3 Reviews

These are really useful tips, that I will try for our stay next week on he big island.   This is a great approach and the best tip I've read.  It's proactive and gracious, and helps the property to understand what you want or any special needs, and they can be gracious too.

We are staying at the Wailea Marriott now on points plus a paid night, and are pretty much being treated like a Silver, modest upgrade to what I would call is partial ocean view, ground floor (high floor in profile, security conscious wife does not like open patios), no welcome gift, no water.   Long story, but even on returning to the desk, 'maybe in a day',' when they are counting and right that we won't want to waste an afternoon moving rooms once settled.  It's probably that everyone wants to be in Hawaii and more people use points here, so you have to stand out amongst the other Platinums.  When I've vacationed with family at other Marriotts in Florida, Colorado, and Arizona, and I never felt that I needed to do anything to be special and that was when I was Gold.

On the plus side there are spots for adults and kids, the rooms are large and have a lot of storage, so it is a very nice property.   The other comments are good tips too.  I would say that the additional options of the shops next to the hotel make the property desirable because of the options and variety beyond what the hotel offers. 

longislandny Platinum 1 Reviews

Stayed there in January 2011 and had an excellent time.  Beautiful location on the wailea coast, but no sandy beach facility.  Has a rocky beach, but we greatly enjoyed sitting on the grassy areas overlooking the water.  Pools are all great.  Great walking trail along the beach and passing by other high end hotels.  Hotel personnel were great.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...