15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2009 6:26 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

88% Extend Business Travel for Leisure

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott Rewards Insiders have crossed another milestone! Out of 1,000 travelers participating in the survey on the Insiders home page, a whopping 88% confirm extending a business trip for leisure. 

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/88extendbusiness4leisure-9.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 88% Extend Business Travel for Leisure
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It is time for a new question--this one has been up for a long time. Questions with multiple choice answers seem to work better for me

How about:

I chose Marriott Rewards as my premier loyalty progam because:

a.  Ease of record keeping

b.  Bonus offers

c.  Credit card affiinity programs

d.  Marriott's reputation in the industry

e.  Other (comment here)________________

Might be interesting to see what you get, especially if you have a free text comment section below this question.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC -- any idea how the 88/11 compares with other frequent stay programs. I'd think  it would be comparable to MR.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones

Interesting idea.  Actually, I'd like to see deeper probing about this popular trend to extend a business trip for leisure.  Marriott must have a business purpose asking the original question.  I agree that a multiple choice approach would make it more interesting.

As another alternative, why not implement multiple concurrent surveys?  Why not have a survey question in each forum?  Pose questions relevant to the purpose/themes of the individual fora and provide an introduction and links from the Insiders Lobby and possible a new Tab on the home page. The surveys should be aligned with a specific Marriott business purpose and explained.  Here are two examples, top of mind, I'm sure others will emerge:

• Business - What about a survey related to broadband access?  The topic is complex as needs vary, so a multiple choice and perhaps multi-question approach could be taken.  I'm certain this survey would be very popular and the results very relevant to Marriott's strategy.
    • Travel With Kids - Marriott expects Marriott Vacation Club to show a profit in 2009.  As we have seen with Nickelodean, Asia Pacific Club and Ritz Carlton Destination Club, there are multiple and overlapping segments that Marriott is going after to accomodate family/leisure/vacation travel.  Perhaps Marriott might measure family vacation activity preferences.  Water-related family recreation will probably jump to the top, but who knows, maybe miniature golf might be a close second?  If 88% extend a business trip for leisure, I'm quite certain a family oriented survey will be popular.

A multi-survey approach is doable, will expand the reach of Insiders and engage many more guest segments.

Great Ideas TJ:

I think the older survey question has outlived its time on the Insider page.  Have you been invited to paritcipate in any Marriott Voice surveys recently? I have not been, but assume it's the summer hiaitus and nothing more.

Great ideas and thanks.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones and all,

What about this topic:

Should Marriott provide broadband/wifi access at full service hotel brands to Marriott Rewards members on a complimentary basis?

Yes

No

A good one--that way we'd show overhwelming support for no cost Internet.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones and all,

Given the holiday weekend, a local Marriott competitor has radio spots with an amusing rap-type jingle claiming, "I got free breakfast and internet."  My loyalty continues to reside with Marriott, and the imagery of an MTV crowd hanging out by the pool does not compel me to switch - just yet.

There is no doubt in my mind that the free internet survey question will have enormously popularity directed at a general consumer audience.  From that perspective, if offered free only to Marriott Rewards members after the first or second stay, the special offer might accelerate MR membership as well as occupancy.

In that light, here's another idea for a survey which is probably best directed at the business travelling public.

Should Marriott offer complimentary continental breakfast to Elite?

Yes

No

TJCNewYork -- my answer to both questions...Yes.  The internet question has been rode hard and put away wet to the point that I'm beginning to wonder if anyone from Marriott actually monitors posts on this site.  Surely, they've seen some of the complaints/suggestions from you and others.  First rule of customer service...listen to the customer.  Again, both great questions.

• Hooray for the 88% that Extend Business Travel for Leisure
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/ConfigurablePromotions/global_cross_brand/globalcrossbrand_header.jpg

All,

Hooray for the whopping 88% that Extend Business Travel for Leisure; someone at Marriott is listening because the Global Rate Break of 20% off weekend stays is B-a-a-c-k!

Hurry - Reservations at participating hotels MUST be booked by September 24th, and 8 brands are participating in the promotion; including:

• Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    • JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
    • Renaissance Hotels & Resorts
    • Courtyard by Marriott®
    • SpringHill Suites by Marriott®
    • Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®
    • Residence Inn by Marriott®
    • TownePlace Suites by Marriott®

The Rate Code is F5X. See Terms and Conditions online.

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

Thanks for posting. I just booked four weekend stays and will save a lot of money because of your sharp eyes. Where did you see this information? We like to visit Kansas City on weekends, so these types of offers represent incremental business for Marriott because we would not normally spend the night.

I have not noticed any postings from you on TUG lately. I have found some very helpful information, but have also observed that many posters are pre-occupied with convincing others that not buying resale is idiotic. In spite of the lack of courtesy of some, I still have received some very helpful vacation advice on the site.

Superchief -- the global rate break promo is right on the marriott.com front page.  been there for a few days now.

superchief1 Platinum

I noticed the weekend offer this afternoon on the main page. However, it wasn't there when I logged in yesterday. I searched all over the website yesterday, but did not see it. I am curious whether some platinum MR members receive the promotion earlier. I am a lifetime Platinum member, but have not travelled that much this year due to a change in my responsibilities at work.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings SuperChief

Marriott Rewards Insiders launched the Insiders' Lobby about a month ago.  This feature provides Insiders a sneek peek at Marriott promotions before they reach public domain. Marriott also launched several new features including private messaging here at Insiders.

Good to hear that you are finding helpful information that enhances your vacation ownership with Marriott.     

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings, Insiders.

I would like to share what I learned after my discussion with HQ regarding this concern amongst the Insiders community.

The folks at HQ tell me that free internet service (to Platinum Members) is on the 'considered set' of potential enhancements to the Plat arrival gift selection.  They said they would let us know FIRST as soon as a decision is made.

I hope this is helpful - as always, I'll do my best to keep the Insiders community in the loop.

Thanks, everyone!

Regards,

Andrew

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andrew | Marriott

"The folks at HQ tell me that free internet service (to Platinum Members) is on the 'considered set' of potential enhancements to the Plat arrival gift selection."

Since comp internet is already offered to all guests irrespective of Elite status at Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Residence Inn and Towneplace Suites, please clarify the thinking.  Will comp Internet be a Platinum arrival gift option at Limited Service and Full Service in addition to the 200/500 points OR in lieu of points?  If in lieu of arrival gift points, the option may be perceived as not complimentary at all.  As suggested earlier in this discussion and other threads, guest perceptions about internet use, cost and brand positioning merits research.

While HQ's openness to complimentary internet is definitely a step that follows where the market is already headed, what's really needed is rethinking how Marriott extends the guest experience using the internet to reinforce the brand.  At present, with minor exception only Courtyard is doing an excellent job at it.  (From my experience, broadband/Internet at CY Ocean City is unreliable and found lacking).

The lack of a brand standard is most pronounced as one travels on business or leisure across Limited Service brands to Full Service.  Some properties use LodgeNet, others iBahn and still others use plain vanilla.  Terms & Conditions vary, user interface lacks recognizeable Marriott branding and speed and reliability is not there. 

As loyal Marriott guests we deserve better and expect more from the brands we love and enjoy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...