7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2009 1:25 PM by anadyr RSS

Hotel internet speed

skirkh Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have noticed that the speed of the provided "high" speed internet at hotels is possibly getting slower.  So with my two most recent stays (Marriott Sugar Land, TX and Houston IAH Airport Marriott) I tested the speed.  At Sugar Land it was 0.25MBPS and at IAH it was 0.32MBPS.  Now when I am paying $9.95 (or $12.95 for the useless wired for business plan) I expect more than this.

So my question is this.  What should we expect for the money we pay?  Remember, this is at full service Marriotts where it is necessary to pay for the service.  I do not believe that these speeds are good enough and I also understand that I have a choice. Working on the road makes it a necessary evil.

(This is not computer performance related before everybody jumps on me!)

• Re: Hotel internet speed
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

At some Marriotts there is a tiered internet service: I find there to be very little difference among these speeds--both of which are slow, much slower than wireless hotspot speeds I've noticed.

One bright spot is the presence of a full 54mbps wireless internet, usually free, in many Concierge Lounges.  Assuming the transmitter is working that is.  Having been installed later than the wired internet these seem to function more efficiently.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Welcome to the club and thanks for your post. The angst over Marriott's delivery of broadband/wifi/internet access is pretty well covered on Insiders.*

I give Marriott high marks for standardizing around the LG HD panels.  Marriott.com is award-winning and 95%+ of the time, hotel check-in is flawless.  But, when it comes to delivering broadband, Marriott falls short.  On the positive side, the best in my experience is service at the Marriott Courtyard Boston Woburn. **

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/Woburn-6.jpg

At the Courtyard Boston Woburn **:

• the login experience was smooth and trouble-free
    • I didn't clock the speed, but perceived no problems browsing, uploading or downloading large files
    • the portal interface is branded with a familiar Marriott look and feel
    • the content is contextual offering a local map with tabs for dining, shopping and sightseeing (not all work, yet)
    • content includes a weather forecast, so you can dress appropriately and anticipate weather-related travel delays
    • there's a built-in module to check your Marriott Rewards account so you can check upcoming reservations, and find and book easily
    • as a plus, the portal provides a link to entertainment options on HBO.

At the Boston Woburn, kudos to Marriott for getting broadband for business right.

* Re: Marriott Internet Disappointing

** Re: Broadband/WIFI... Marriott pricing is a joke... who pays

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

At nearly 70 dollars a week before taxes the Internet at full service Marriotts is no bargain. It is 16.95 at the Marquis as I recall, which is almost usury, IMO.

We need a reasonably fast, inexpensive altenrative at Marriotts.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones,

At many Marriott properties, I-Bahn is the broadband platform. I'm enjoying this service used by the Courtyard New Haven Wallingford, Connecticut.  It's browser independent, high-speed, extremely reliable and of course, at Marriott Courtyard, free.  As implemented and delivered here, it provides a good model, perhaps the alternative you mention.

On top of I-Bahn, Marriott Courtyard developed a portal to experience the internet and deliver relevant content to travelers and Marriott guests. Extremely well thought-out, the portal is branded, provides a sense of where you are with a map, and offers the news, information and services needed that a traveler requires.

After travelling I-95 and I-91 through the tail end of Hurricane Danny and arriving tired, wet and weary close to midnight, what a relief to check-in, relax, plug-in and get online w/o fuss or hassle.

The Marriott Courtyard New Haven Wallingford Express Check-out says, "Enjoy a sneak peak at Marriott Rewards announcements, early access to exciting specials and expert tips from fellow members and concierges all in the new lobby of your online community - the Insiders.  Join the conversation today at www.MarriottRewardsInsiders.com"

Kudos to Marriott.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/Wallingford-4.jpg

TJC: Thanks

This should be the Marriott experience at every property and it should be free! 

sjb123 Platinum 8 Reviews

Seems to be by hotel,  but the marriott I am staying in now has terrible speed. 

try dslreports.com to test the speed of you connection.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...