15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2009 11:16 AM by superchief1 RSS

Marriott Dinner Certificates

gshock Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just an observation for us Platinum members who have been purchasing and using the Marriott Dinner for 2 certificates. Many of the properties that I have visited recently do not accept the certificate. This is for properties that are not even mentioned on the exclusion list on the Marriott website. I would suggest that you do not buy the certificates for gifts as your recipient will probably be told that the certificate is not accepted. Most recent property was the new Key West Beachside. They told me they had never seen the certificate. After speaking to the manager they agreed as an accomodatation to let me use the certificate but only for the value (109.00) of the certificate not what the certificate entitled me to (Dinner for 2).  They said they were a Marriott Franchise property and were not obligated to take the Marriott Certificate.  Looks like Marriott may be getting too big as this never happened in the old days.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Dinner Certificates
    tjcnewyork Platinum

GShock

Thanks for the observations on the dinner certificates.  Do you recall the Terms & Conditions regarding refund ?  If paid for with a credit card, and a Marriott property not included on the exclusions list refuses to honor the certificate, the purchaser should be able to dispute the charge on the basis of breach of service.  This would be a last resort if Marriott Guest Services does not offer to process the credit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

We have enjoyed using the Dinner for 2 certificates for several years and have found them to be a good value. However, we have recently encountered more confusion regarding whether they are accepted or not. I think this is due to more franchised Marriott properties and poorer training and communication regarding the terms and conditions for the certificates.

The certificates clearly state that the appetizer, entree, dessert, and nonalcoholic beverages are covered regardless of the price (except for a few specified itens), in addition to taxes and gratuity. The $109 limit should only apply if the certficate if over 2 years old. However, the fine print states that some franchised properties do not accept the certifcates. Since I do not know whether a property is a franchise or not, I usually call the restaurant. However, many restaurant managers are not familiar with these certificates or policies.

If Marriott offers a reward to their loyal customers, they should make the effort to communicate the availability and conditions of these rewards to their hotels and restaurants.  In good faith, Marriott should pay you the amount you were charged over the $109. Please let us know whether you receive a response and compensation. I plan to write to Customer Care regarding the problems being encountered trying to use these certificates. If they cannot improve the program and the guest's experience, I suggest they eliminate the program.

gshock Platinum

Super Chief I have also encountered the same issues with the Dinner for 2 certificate. Most of the Marriott properties I have stayed at recently do not know of the certificates and when I present them they say they do not honor them.  The list that Marriott publishes of the exclusions (Ruth's Chris etc) are only a small sample of the restaurants that refuse the certificates. I agree with your suggestion that Marriott must do a better job of training their employees on all of the Marriott programs and certificates.

gshock Platinum

TJC. Thanks for refencing the T&C's of the Dinner for 2 certificate.  I just redeemed my last 2 at the Marriott in Marco Island (Kurrents--which is excellent) and will not purchase any again. My concern is for those loyal Marriott customers who buy the certificates to give as gifts.  Their recipients will be very frustrated as they will not have many options to use them. Hopefully Marriott management will "Step up to the Plate" and correct the situation

superchief1 Platinum

Gshock,

You mentioned that you used a dinner for 2 certificate at Kurrents in Marco Island, but will not buy the certificates again. Did they honor the certificate? Did they limit it to $109 or give you any other problems when you redeemed it? I believe the Marco Island Marriott is a corporate owned property, so I would expect them to be more aware of this program. I hope to exchange into the Marco Island MVC timeshare next year and love the area.

gshock Platinum

The Marriott Beachside Franchise property restaurant manager said he was doing me a favor and allowed me to use the Dinner for 2 certificate. At the conclusion of dinner he said I owed a balance as he would only allow the certificate to be worth $109.00.  Again, I have been working for multi-Billion $ Consumer Companies for over 30 years and we would have terminated a program if it generated this much confusion. Pity the poor person who receives the certificate as a gift and attempts to use it.

eagles Silver

TJC, NUHUSKER, I am dealing with the two hotels separately. Coporate flushed the problem downhill. St. Kitts offered 10k points , which I accepted just to move. SanDiego Gaslight has referred it back to Marriott and I am awaitng their offer. This is now the end of the third week and I will advise when I hear. The disturbing aspect of all of this is that I have two certs left!!! OMG.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Eagles,

Three weeks is way too long.  Customer.Care@Marriott.com has a service level of 3 to 5 days to get back to you.  What they're not doing to resolve the matter is prolonging the disservice.  E-mail back or call Customer.Care directly and request to speak with corporate in SLC.  Someone clearly dropped the ball and that puts you in a better position. 

Regards the remaining certs, contact Marriott for a complete refund now.  Do not wait to risk a repeat.

eagles Silver

TJC, I have from customer service and they have offered 1,000 pts and a $50.00 gift card. I responded and told them that ST. Kitts awarded me 10,000. I also asked them to redeem my last 2 dinner for two certs for what I paid for them to save me the sure to follow hassle. I mentioned that I dreaded the thought of using the $50.00 gift card. A total lack of concern for a customer and not what one would expect from a corporation that attempts to position the image of a caring host.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Eagles

Unbelievable.  Time to escalate with a passion. 

Request to speak with the manager of the person you spoke with and keep going up the ladder until you obtain your objective.  Keep track of who you spoke with, when and the attitude. 

If the Marriott property honored the terms of the dinner certificate your expectations would have been met possibly exceeded.  Given the breach, you are entitled to more.

eagles Silver

TJC, I received a total of 20,000 points and was requested to contact a supervisor in Customer Service prior to my use of the two remaing certificates. I will use one in St. Kitts, where this all started, in May when we return to the MCVI there. She would not buy back the certificates. I just wanted to end this, since it was taking too much time. My only advice is to NEVER EVER buy these certificates!

eagles Silver

TJC & NUHUSKER, I will be sending the two remaining certificates back and will receive a full refund of $218. This has taken far too long to reach resolution, but I am now satisfied.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Congratulations on the results and thanks again for taking the time to post the experience of working towards a resolution.  Hopefully, there is a benefit to other Insiders facing the same situation.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Marriott should have refunded you the $218 and let you keep the certs for all your trouble.

superchief1 Platinum

I just received confirmation that the Tuscany, Meritage, and Blue Sage restaurants at the JW in Phoenix all accept the dinner for 2 certificates. Roy's does not, since it is privately owned. Steve Smigosky, Guest Hospitality Coordinator, sent this very helpful information in reply to an email I sent to Guest Services. I look forward to using a certificate at Tuscany for my wife's birthday. I have read very favorable reviews for Tuscany and Meritage, but have heard that service in the Blue Sage is rather spotty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...