4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 8:30 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Need help and info on Vermont

lorirobert Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My parents are interested in going to Vermont.  I have never been there and don't know much about it.  Can anyone tell me where to go and what to see there?  I assume they are looking at going in the fall.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Windsor, Connecticut, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Hartford Windsor
Burlington, Vermont, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Gilford, New Hampshire, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Gilford
  • Re: Need help and info on Vermont
    tjcnewyork Platinum

New England?  You just hit a hot button!  2009 marks the quadricentennial of Lake Champlain which borders Vermont on the west along with New York State.  Vermont, Quebec and upstate New York have planned a number of events to celebrate the people, land and history of the area.  In July, my wife and I went to Burlington, Vt to experience the Burlington International Waterfront Festival.  For more information about Quad events around which to plan a trip in the fall, I highly recommend visiting Vermont Celebrates Champlain

Marriott has a handful of properties in Vermont, but the place I highly recommend is the Courtyard Burlington Harbor. Request lakeview and a high floor for a spectacular view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains.   The CY is very family friendly and has a pool on the first floor and the lobby and cafe are on the second.  There were a number of Canadian families in Burlington for the Waterfront Festival.  We requested and were upgraded to a spa king with a jacuzzi tub that opens to the lakeview.

Spa King Guest Room

Spa king @ Courtyard Burlington Harbor

This CY has paid self parking, but we found free street parking nearby. The marina, waterfront and downtown Church Street Marketplace are all w/in walking distance from the hotel.  Lots of cafes, boutiques and shops to explore.   Although we seriously considered taking the ferry from Burlington across Lake Champlain to Plattsburgh, New York and the incredible scenery we would encounter, the length of the trip was impractical.  Either way, going up to Vermont in the fall through New York State along the Hudson Valley or through the Connecticut River Valley into Vermont from I-91 to I-89 should be incredibly scenic with the foliage turning. From commerce, history and recreation, Vermont has more.

Burlington is 2-1/2 hours from several points of interest in New Hampshire.  Our favorite is the Lake Winnepesaukee resort area which is 20 minutes from I-93 at exit 20.  Marriott opened a TownePlace Suites Gilford in May and we were just there last weekend.  This property is very family friendly with 1 and 2 bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens.  Consider combining a visit to Vermont and New Hampshire.  In the fall, the foliage and the mountains should be spectacular.

King Studio Suite

1 bedroom king suite at Townplace Suites Gilford, New Hampshire

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lorirobert Platinum

TJC New York, I knew you would come through!!!!  Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to start planning tonight!

How long does it take you to drive from NYC to Burlington? 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lorirobert

I was just going through several brochures from our Burlington, VT visit back in July and came across resources which might be helpful to your trip. Logging on, I just noticed your note. Mea culpa for the delay!  

In response to your question, the drive is about 6 hours. We hit the road on a Friday evening and stayed at a Courtyard in Windsor, CT right off of I-91.  The following morning we stopped for lunch in northern Massachusetts and arrived in Burlington, VT about mid-afternoon.  The drive back to NYC was close to 7 hours including 2 stops for dinner and a bio-break.  

Tracing the path home, we took I-89S from Burlington to I-91S into Massachusetts and the Connecticut River Valley. In central CT we switch to Route 15S aka the Merritt Parkway to I-95S.  We have driven this route into and back from New England many times and love the scenic beauty of rolling hills, waterways, city skylines and landmarks.  While the I-87 or the NY Thruway might seem to be a more direct route to Vermont on a map, driving a straight-a-way on cruise control through upstate NY has less variety. Plus, factoring in the metro area traffic, it adds up to an hour to the drive.

Anyway, resources.  Check out Vermont Trail Resources at American Trails.  One of the trails not included on that site is the Vermont Marble Trail which is a driving tour highlighting places of historical, cultural, commercial and artistic interest where stone quarried from Vermont is utilized. 

We're heading into Fall and there are some New England destinations not-to-miss.  From foliage, biking trails, covered bridges and waterways to Oktoberfest and Thanksgiving with other events.  Marriott has so many properties in popular destinations to choose from:

Connecticut:  40

Massachusetts: 67

Rhode Island:  12

New Hampshire:  19

Vermont:  6

Maine: 11

Enjoy and feel free to ask more. 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Windsor, Connecticut, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Hartford Windsor
    Burlington, Vermont, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Burlington Harbor
    Gilford, New Hampshire, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Gilford

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...