10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2009 12:00 AM by ecivdhc RSS

Marriott Phuket Beach Club Timeshare

lesliepamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Are their any MPBC timeshare owners out their who can help and advise me? If you have been an owner say pre 2007, you may be in the same situation that I am. That is Marriott has asked me if I wish to change my ownership conditions to those of Marriott Asia Vacation Club. I'm not sure what to do, but I do have a few concerns.

Conventional Marriott timeshare means that I own one week in one villa each year. The use of this time and villa are of course flexible within a given season. I will therefore - no matter what happens to Reward points - always be sure of one weeks vacation each year.

The Asia club is based on a points system. I am not yet sure of the figures involved, but it goes something like this: I purchase say 500,000 points a year, these points can be used for many things, although I am not sure exactly what. I do however know that these points can be exchanged for 100,000 Marriott Reward Points. This may (Or may not) be fine for today, but I have to consider the terrible devaluation of Marriott reward points over the last 23 years - as they relate to timeshare exchanges.

If I keep my week, I will always have one weeks vacation. If I accept Marriott's proposal to change clubs, then how can I be sure that the value of my 500,000 club points (100,000 Marriott reward points) will not suffer the same devaluation - as has been experienced by many Marriott timeshare owners over time? If this deflation should occur then the vacation I could purchase in future would only be a small vacation - possibly a day or two-  when the two are compared at some future date.

I reckon that I am safer staying with MVCI, rather than changing to MVC Asia. However,I would be interested in other opinions on this proposed change.       

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Phuket Beach Club Timeshare
    tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

At long last, the points system emerges!  Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific Club is actively marketing online:  Asia Pacific Club   I recently came across postings on FlyerTalk about it.

It makes sense that MVC would roll out first in that market segment giving time to work out the kinks.  With the lion's share of deeded properties and owners in the US under protection by state and federal statutes, MVCI has to be extremely cautious.

Given the recent brand integration efforts to equate Marriott Vacation Club properties with hotel categories, and the inclusion of MVC resorts in Pointsavers redemptions like Redeem 4 Get the Fifth Night Free as a Julyu 16, it's surprising that this offering establishes a separate bucket for 'Club points.'   Aside from the confusion, it creates another dynamic that clearly prompts your message.

If I recall correctly, you are in the UK.  If you can share more specifics about the MVC Asia Pacific Club points program, as it was presented to you, I'd be delighted to engage in discussion about it.  In the meantime, I'm going to reach out to MVCI Owner Services in the US and see what information they are willing to share.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum

Thanks for that reply. I can't tell you much more. I purchased time at MPBC some 5 years ago. It was a property based purchase, but I guess not as tight as a deeded USA property. I understand it is more alike to European Marriotts, where the ownership lasts for between 80 and a 100 years.

The fact that prompted my question was that I received correspondence from Marriott asking if I would like to change to the ASIA syatem.

I don't feel to confident about doing that, so I think that for the moment, I will leave things as they are.

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC Thanks for that web link. The paragraph that jumped out was :

• More economical.
      Because you make a one-time purchase of your timeshare interest, you can lock in today's price and avoid rising hotel room or rental apartment costs each year you vacation.

I wouldn't have the confidence to do this, having just experienced how Marriott reduced the value of timeshare owners REWARD points. What is there to stop them doing the same to ASIA points? Perhaps the LOCK-IN here is more strongly covered by the laws of contract, which is something that REWARDS never where.

However having been an Ambassador for Marriott for 26years, I don't think I could now ever trust them again. What would be the prospects for an ASIA CLUB member trying, in the future, to exchange his CLUB points for REWARD points, and finding them drastically reduced in value? It is difficult in the events of recent times to see that the CLUB points / REWARD points value would not decrease, as such an event would be highly profitable for MARRIOTT!  

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

Marriott Vacation Club Owner Services* must have had an off day.  The phone conversation did not meet expectations:

Q. What MVCI properties are included in the Asia Pacific Club?

A.  I'm not sure. I think Phuket, Thailand and Las Vegas.

Q. What about MVCI resorts in Hawaii?

A.  I'm not sure, we were told that owners would not be calling about the Asia Pacific Club.

Q. How do owners join the Asia Pacific Club?

A. We were told you have to live in Asia.

Q. Who can I speak to? I'm calling for my brother-in-law. He owns at Grande Chateau in Las Vegas and received a promotion. He lives in ~Brooklyn~.

A.  The Asia Pacific Club is completely "independent of Marriott Owner Services" and handled by Singapore.  Call 65-6877-6088.

More can be gleaned from the website than Owner Services.   As said repeatedly on Insiders, MVCI owners are the most underserved customer segment within Marriott.

According to the 2nd Qtr Earnings Report, Marriott International expects the timeshare business segment to realize a profit in 2009.  Lacking the ability to service the lionshare of owners in US on this new usage option, the Asia Pacific Club merits the backburner for now.  

There are 400,000+ MVCI owners globally.  It's anyone's guess what percentage own units in Thailand, Hawaii and Las Vegas.  The next information touchpoint is MVCI Sales.  Let's keep this discussion going anticipating that other owners received the promotion and will consider participating.  In the meantime, let's probe for pricing.

* 1-800-845-4226 or 1-801-468-4089

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC, Thanks for doing all that work. I Completely agree with the sentence: As said repeatedly on Insiders, MVCI owners are the most underserved customer segment within Marriott.

How can it be improved? I have liaised with the BOD for two of my resorts and they say that their responsibility is to look after their respective resorts.They have no authority to address MVCI matters outside of the stated responsibility.

Just imagine the power we could have if the BOD for every resort could amalgamate to raise MVCI concerns with Marriott !

Sunny wishes,

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel

That's a great approach to reach out to your BoD. Hopefully they welcome the feedback.  Some issues may be out-of-scope; but not all.

The Florida Club is a relevant example.  These resorts are included:

• Marriott's Grande Vista
    • Marriott's BeachPlace Towers in Ft. Lauderdale
    • Marriott's Ocean Pointe at Palm Beach Shores
    • Marriott's Legends Edge at Bay Point Panama City Beach
    • Marriott's Villas at Doral in Miami

At My-VacationClub.com, the annual budget and MF information for all resorts is accessible to MVCI owners only.  Line items specific to resort participation and owner fees that support the Florida Club are evident. Although all administration for the Florida Club is the responsibility of MVCI, the BoD votes on the budget and MF. 

Depending upon who you speak with, the Florida Club enjoys mixed views.  Some owners love it and there are those who think the added expense provides little if any value.  Theoretically, a BoD could decide to secede from the Florida Club, but it would be subject to owner ballot.  MVCI probably would discourage such a move, but ultimately the owners decide.

Is the Asia Pacific Club set up like the Florida Club only with points?  My hunch is ~not~.  It's to MVCI best interest to have a program that is revenue generating and independent of MF which excludes any BoD intervention by way of budget oversight.

Of course, this is complete speculation since the business model, resorts included, program features and pricing for the Asia Pacific Club are unknown.

To your point about rallying BoD members,  with 50+/- clubs and BoD of 5/6/7 members/club in the best case scenario that would be 350 directors.  By-laws differ by resort and by state, but the common denominator is that each director has a fiduciary responsiblity to the owners. 

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC, That's very interesting. I own time at Royal Palms, Orlando, but that is not part of the Florida club. I guess one cannot always understand the rules and regulations by which certain things are set up - It's just the law!

Which leads me to Phuket Beach Club and Marriott VC Asia. I was reading the sales profile on the web page for MVCI Asia and I was surprised about one thing, and that is people who live in many countries are specified as potential members, but folks living in the USA are not entitled to join.

That appears to mean that they can purchase time at MVCI Phuket Beach Club, but cannot buy into the neighbouring resort of Mai Khao, because that's part of the ASIA club. As I said earlier, It's just the law.....or is it something more devious?

If Marriott's Phuket Beach club is inviting me (As a U.K. resident) to change the conditions of my ownership to Marriott ASIA club, what are they doing about U.S. residents who own at MPBC ??

I'm still thinking about staying with MVCI at Phuket Beach Club, At present I do not have the confidence in Marriott to make the change to MVCI ASIA

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel,

Searching on Google just brought up a new website that looks like my-vacationclub.com but for the Asia Pacific Club https://www.vacationclubap.com/default.jsp 

Regards owners in the US, it's anyone's guess.  I don't think Hawaii or Nevada are about to secede.  Newport Coast Villas and Desert Springs in California are most definitely on the Pacific rim, why are they excluded: http://www.marriottasiaholidays.com/resort.shtml

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

In reality, the difference between Phuket and any domestic Marriott timeshare is simply the difference between leasehold interest and fee simple types of ownership.

During the 1970s in Hawaii, most so-called timeshares were leasehold interest, with the term of the lease varying but most were between 40 and 70 years.  One of the changes Marriott among others was instrumental in bringing to the Hawaiian scene was fee simple ownership of timeshares.

With fee simple, such as with domestic Marriott timeshares, you have permanent ownership of the property ---- whether it be a condo or a structure on land.  Any ownership with a limiting term of years is almost certainly leasehold.

ecivdhc Platinum

I may be very late to this discussion, but U.S. people certainly can own Marriott Asia Pacific program.  My wife and I and 2 of my sisters-in-law and their husbands (all in the U.S.) own in the Marriott Asia Pacific Club points program (points are completely differnent from Marriot Rewards points).  We bought early in the AP program (early summer of 2008).  We since have topped up our points.  We also own weeks at Phuket - we go to Thailand a lot and LOVE the Phuket Beach Club.  The points program has multiple properties (Phuket Beach club, Mai Khao Beach club, Empire Tower in Bangkok, and some properties in Hawaii, California, and Nevada).  Many of those properties have weeks ownership as well, but Marriott has asked people at some of those (Phuket week owners, e.g.) to switch to points - we didn't.

Points owners can stay for nights or a week (better deal by the week) at "club resorts", can stay for nights at about a dozen other properties (hotel properties in Asia) using Asia Pacific points (at a much better rate than Marriott Rewards points), trade points for weeks through Interval (if you do this within 2 months of traveling you can exchange just a couple of days of points and get a full week excange), or covert their AP points to MR points at a 3-1 or 5-1 ratio depending on when they bought.

The points program is pretty flexible, is based on U.S. dollars, not foreign exchange, and operates more like points programs at Hilton or some other timeshare companies. 

We have been told by salespeople in Thailand and Aruba that Marriott will be moving more to a points based system when they get back to opening new properties.  Last we heard Marriott was in progress in progress in Australia (converting the Courtyard Gold Coast to a timeshare property) and was building in Dubai.  However, just this week a salesman in Aruba told us that everything (he specifically was referrring to another property in Caribbean and one in Cancun) was on hold until the economy improved.  (remember you have to take what salespeople say with a grain of salt so don't knw how much of any of that is really true). 

Anyway, we like both the weeks program (we own a total of 7 weeks at 4 different resorts - Spain, South Carolina, Florida, an Thailand) and the points program (equivalent of 3 weeks) and use both of them depending on where we are going or want to stay.  The buy-in cost is comparable to higher end resort buy-in and the maintenance is less expensive so far.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...