7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 9:30 PM by spalady RSS

travel alone or with a companion?

singlesenior Member
Currently Being Moderated

Will traveling solo be uncomfortable and be looked up as

"sad" instead of just a matter of "choice and convenience"?

As a younger person I traved alone and enjoyed it immensely

but now3 that I am older with a few mild backaches,   will it be a

sensible or enjoyable thing to do now? (I know it is a personal opnion but From what you have heard or seen.)

• Re: travel alone or with a companion?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My take on this is biased since I travel alone for business and with the family for pleasure.  But I think the time when single travelers were somehow seen as lonely outcasts is long gone.  A local restaurant refuses to ask if you'd like a table for one, and if they forget the drinks are on them.  I still see plenty of singles in the Concierge Lounges and Club floors at Marriotts, none the worse for wear.

Many times a single can strike up a conversation with another person or couple, and make plans together for dinner.

So, keep traveling and don't sweat the singleness of it all, IMHO.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Singlesenior -- I travel alone for business all the time.  I eat out alone.  I golf, usually alone while on business trips.  If the starter wants to pair me with others, that's ok, but it's ok to play 18 by myself as well.  Point is, as for what others may think, I say if they want to buy my supper or pay my green fees then I'll be happy to have them join me.  However, if there's a safety concern then there's strength (or at least the perception) in numbers.  Happy and safe travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm a female in my mid-fifties and travel alone to Europe every year.  No tour groups, no 'other half', no friends/companions/etc, go with me... just me. 

I love it and never feel that others are looking upon me as 'sad' because I'm travelling alone.  I meet lots of people, do what I like when I like, and thoroughly enjoy myself.  If I don't like a place, I can jump in my car and punch a new location in the GPS and off I go... couldn't do that if I was with someone who really liked that location!  And, there's no 'What do you want to do today?  Oh, I don't care.  Well, how about (fill in the blank)?  Oh, no, I don't want to do thaaaat'.

Last year was Austria, the year before was Germany, the year before was Prague, Vienna, and Budapest, etc..  I've been to many, many countries in Europe and Asia by myself.  This year, it will be 3 weeks in Italy!

So, GO!  ENJOY YOURSELF!!! Have an absolute ball!!!  There is no reason not to travel by yourself!

Go onto Fodors.com's forums, you'll find many, many people travel alone.

BTW, I am also away from home in hotels at least 3 nights a week due to my job.  I have never even considered ordering room service!  I always eat in restaurants.  I have been at a particular client for almost 3 years now and frequently eat in one particular restaurant.  The host/hostess always gives me a booth that sits 6 people... I've become friends with all of the servers and managers and they like to sit and chat with me while I have dinner!!!  And, this is not a slow restaurant; it is a national chain and the only restaurant along the 'hotel row'.  A few of the servers even come over to my hotel to have dinner with me there on Monday nights!  And, when I've been in the chain restaurant and the wait staff from the hotel come in, they always stop by to say hi and chat for a few minutes.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Singlese and New Hilton,

How refreshing to read about single travel.  As a guy, I have had to travel to Europe as well as elsewhere by myself and I would like to support what New Hilton says.

While for me I really enjoy "The right", company vrs. just any company.

My first day of cooking school in France, the chef said, "Good food deserves champagne, Bad food DEMANDS it"!  This is how I look at traveling.  Travel can be a lot of fun, even alone.  New Hilton, really hit the key elements.

Lastly, if any of your are going to the Lake Como area of Italy, I would like to recommend a neat city, Chiavenna, that would be a lot of fun for a single lady.  (No Marriotts, but the hotel pictured is same and simple.)

Good traveling!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Jerry,

Thanks very much!  I particularly liked your champagne analogy!  So very true! 

Travel is so rewarding.  The memories of... Mt. Fuji, the wonderful temples and shrines of Japan,  the jaw dropping awe of both the library and chapel of Melk Abbey, the Loretto church in Prague, the concentration camp at Terezin, Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest, Meteora in Greece, the beauty of Hallstadt...  I could go on and on. 

If I waited until others had the time, money, or inclination to join me on these trips, I'd still be waiting.  But, instead... I am living my dreams and seeing the places of which I dream!

Of course... not being made of money, it's only one big trip (2 or 3 weeks) each year!  Although I lucked out on Japan... 9 weeks completely free as I was on an assignment there and only worked 4/days per week!

As always, Jerry, love your pics!  Thanks!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

New Hilton,

Thanks sharing your special places with me!

Your analogy of waiting for someone reminds me of my first planned trip to Europe in 1976.  It was a "Tuesday, this much be Belgium" trip.  I learned real fast on how I did not want to see the world.

However, what amazes me is I had a buddy who talked about going on the trip with my wife and I who said he would only go on a "First Class", trip to Europe (Which this was not) and passed on my first trip.  Well I have been now 60+ times later and HE HAS STILL NOT BEEN ONCE!

If people would only look around, and realize, we are not going to be able to do many of the things we would like to do "Forever".  Just do them NOW!

How about the song line, "Where I've been, is who I am today"!

Happy Trails, New Hilton!

spalady Platinum 60 Reviews

I have been traveling alone for years and just love this.  When I did travel as a couple or with friends you need to find things you both like.  When you travel alone, you can do what you want, when and how.  I always meet people along the way but you must be careful as a women alone.  If you are taking a walk or visiting sites, tell the hotel and they will look out for you.  One more thing, if you're a wallflower, this may not be for you.  I happen to be very outgoing and will talk to most people.  Eating alone is no problem, you may meet a great person who is all so alone. Have fun and enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...