14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2009 11:49 AM by nuhusker RSS

Dining Certificates

eagles Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I will never purchase again! Every time I attempt to use them a hassle is immediately created. I do not order an appetizer, salad, entree, and desert at any meal, as the certificate says two can do. The restaurant limits the amount for two to $109.00, which is what the certificate cost. Why puchase in advance when there is no benefit to the diner? A program that has been communicated poorly to hotels. I hav etwo left and do not look forward to the upcoming embarassing moments. Good idea , but the execution is depolrable

• Re: Dining Certificates
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Eagles,

While on vacation my wife and I will take the Marriott Vacation Club preview tour and elect to receive Rewards Points or the Dining Certificate.  Our favorite restaurant is Hawk's Landing at the Marriott World Center in Orlando. This steakhouse is absolutely extraordinary. We've been dining there for about 15 years and not encountered a problem yet with or w/o a certificate.  From appetizers to deserts, the service and food quality is outstanding. This is exactly my expectation of every dining experience with Marriott.

What you describe definitely falls short of that.  Write to Customer.Care@Marriott.com with the details.  They will escalate your experience to the executive office of the property who should take ownership of the issue and deal with the restaurant manager(s). In your e-mail make sure to identify your objective. This could be a complimentary dinner certificate or a refund.

Post back to Insiders what happens.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Wife and I took a time share tour 5 or 6 years ago while staying at Marriott World Center Orlando.  Used our dining certificate at the Japanese restaurant at the hotel with no problem.  I suspect we'll do something similar when we stay at JW Grand Lakes in Sept.  I'll post the outcome.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eagles Silver 2 Reviews

TJC, thank you for the advice and I will post the results.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

For anyone with an AARP card, most restaurants offer a 20% discount on meals for the entire party, excluding the cost of alcohol tip, and tax of course.  Just show the card as you sit down and ask if they give the discount.  We recently dined with a Marriott associate who was going to use her associate discount but this equalled that and we were pleased to pay her way as well as ours.

This was formerly called "Leisure Life" and applied to all seniors but recently the presentation of a valid AARP card, the number of which is written on the bill, is the ticket.

I've used this at both Marriott hotels and at Marriott resorts.  Some may find there is limited availability, others may not know, but it never hurts to ask.

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

When is the last time you used the dinner certificates at Hawks Landing? They are now listed as not participating in the program. A few years ago, we tried to use a certificate there and had confirmed that it was accepted by calling ahead. After enjoying an excellent dinner, they informed us that the certificate was no longer being accepted (even though we had presented it prior to ordering). After having an unpleasant conversation with the manager, he finally agreed to accept it. Now I believe the only restaurant accepting the certificates at OWC is the casual restaurant. We did not enjoy our meal there three years ago.

We have enjoyed many excellent meals using the dinner certificates, but are very disappointed that many restaurants' employees do not appear to be aware of the program.

superchief1 Platinum

>

The restaurant limits the amount for two to $109.00, which is what the certificate cost.

Eagle,

The $109 limit should only apply if the certificate is more than two years old (based on purchase date) according to the rules stated on the back of the certificate. Otherwise, the full meal plus tip should be covered. If you were only given the $109 credit and had to pay the difference, the restaruant made a mistake and your money should be refunded.

We have successfully used these certificates for many great dinners, but agree that several restaurant employees do not seem to be familiar with the program. I was told (by Marriott guest services) that a 17.5-20% gratuity is included. We always call ahead to confirm.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

We enjoy dinner at Hawk's Landing at least twice a year.  We were there at the end of April 2009 and last October 2008.  The dining certificate is among the choices offered at the MVCI Preview tour.  I'm going to call and post back, maybe they have changed since April.  April 2009 was the 25th Anniversary of MVCI so there is a possibility. 

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

I was referring to the dinner for 2 certificates that can be purchased for $109 or 20,000 points. Perhaps the rules for these certificates are different. It is interesting that the reason given to us for why Hawk's Landing no longer participates is because they had such a high level of usage of the MVC tour dining certificates.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief:

Regrets for the confusion.  After a bit of a runaround at the OWC, I found out that the Dinner for 2 Certificates for 20,000 points are only accepted at Solaris.  The details of the Terms & Conditions did change.  Hawk's Landing and Tuscany are specifically excluded. 

As far as the dining certificate given at the Preview tour, we'll have to wait until the fall to find out if that is still an option.  My hunch is, it's not.  As far as I know, one option of the Preview tour is to earn 10,000 points.  If the certificate costs 20,000 points, that's a 10,000 points loss for Marriott and a gain for the certificate holder.

eagles Silver

Superchief, the certificates were not out of date. Thnaks for replying.

superchief1 Platinum

Eagle,

If the restaurant only gave you credit for $109, they clearly did not honor  the rules for the certificate. Did you contact Marriott regarding this issue? You should be reimbursed for the difference. We have never had this problem, but have encountered restaurants who do not participate in the program.  

Eagles -- maybe I missed something, but if you paid $109 for the certificates and only got $109 value out of them, what was the advantage to buying certificates?  Why not just pay $109 for the meal and be done with it?  Were they allegedly worth more than the $109?  If so, I think you've raised a good point.

eagles Silver 2 Reviews

NUHUSKER, my point exactly! The certificate states.... salad, appetizer, entree, dessert, unlimited non-alcholic beverages, tax, and gratuity for two. Sounds like  a great deal until one tries to use the certificate. Why would any intelligent consumer buy them in advance when there is no incentive to do so.

i expect to hear from customer service soon on the e-mail I sent complaining about this ripoff.

Eagles -- I figured that's what it was, but thanks for clarifying.  And, I hope you'll report back on the outcome with Marriott customer service.  Agree...a raw deal!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...