2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2009 10:06 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

How-To Q - Redeeming Points

cacoastgirlz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can't find a suggestion I read once about not redeeming with points for a stay, instead redeeming for cash vouchers or something, to get more bang for the buck (or point, as the case may be).  Looking for tips on maximizing points.  I'm at gold level, a resort owner, have 570K points.  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How-To Q - Redeeming Points
    irishcolleen Platinum

suggest you swap for cash or airline miles.

EX: 135K = $1,000 marriott check - better than trying to get 4 nights at level 3/4 hotel... might be a good swap

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How-To Q - Redeeming Points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

CACoastGirlz

Congratulations, 570,000 points is alot of points to burn. When maximizing points, as a first step, it makes sense to consider how the points were earned/acquired.

For example: 

Scenario 1: Assuming that your timeshare resort is a Marriott Vacation Club, you may have traded your week(s) for points.  In this scenario, let's assume your maintenance fee is $1,000 and you trade for points and receive 100,000 points. That's 100 points per USD (For convenience, mortgage is excluded)

Scenario 2: You stay 10 nights in a Marriott hotel at $100/night for a total of $1,000.  You earn 10 points per USD or 10,000 points.  

Based upon the current Marriott Hotel Reward schedule, redeeming 10,000 points will get 1 night in a standard room at a Category 2 hotel like a Fairfield Inn & Suites or Courtyard.  In Scenario 1, the 10,000 points delivers greater value than Scenario 2.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/3ad23937.jpg

Now, let's go from delivering value to maximizing it.  Marriott Pointsavers is one among several strategies.  The chart below show that you can get even more value using Pointsavers.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/Pointsavers.jpg

One strategy posted on Insiders is converting points to miles, see Dealmister's post Re: 200,000 points

For other tips and strategies for maximizing the value of redeeming points, see Tips For Redeeming Points

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...