10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2012 2:30 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Schiphol to Renaissance Transportation

ropeshaft Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are going to Amsterdam for the first time. Can somebody give us a tip on the best means of transportation from Schiphol Airport to the Renaissance Marriott? We will have a few more luggage items than I would like to have but that's the way it is when I travel with my wife.

• Re: Schiphol to Renaissance Transportation
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Ropeshaft,

Relax, you will have a much easier time than you can imagine!  I just got back, so enjoy the pictures!

There is a nice train that goes directly from the airport to the downtown train station, where you can walk (if you have rollaway luggage, or you will need a taxi.  Just go about 1/4 mile to the great Ren.  it is very nice, they just had major construction.  

If you would like a great wood fired meal that is very reasonable, see the place a short walk away in the picture (Madre Maria)!

Make sure to go on a canal cruise (9 Euro) and visit Anne Frank's hidaway house.

You are in for a great time, so enjoy!  See other peoples comments on this site! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Jerry

The train sounds like a solution, do you recall the train fare?  Friends were there in late June and took a private taxi to the Ren for about 45 Euros or $63.  For the return they took a taxibus that the hotel recommended which worked out to be around the same because it was per person.     

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

TJC,

I remember the train fare was CHEAP!  I think it was just a few Euro's each way and it was clean and safe.  There are so many people that do the train from the airport.  There was plenty of luggage areas as well as bicycle areas.

I would think the Ren. would be able to provide exact fares. 

The train ran all the time, I really think it was an express that only ran to the airport and to the train station.  It was easy.  Good luck to all! 

ropeshaft Platinum
    Thank you Jerry.  That helps a lot.  We leave this Sunday.  We are really looking forward to it.

Ropeshaft,

Relax, and enjoy a great time!

You are going to be in a great hotel location so just take you time and remember, It's your holliday! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry

Is the last pic of folk + table, on the train or on a boat?  Great view(s)

loyaltytravele Silver

The train is the cheapest option by far. When you exit customs look for signs for trains and the purchase window is near the escalators.

Tip: Get Euros at the ATM machines in baggage claim area. Netherlands is a cash society. The hotels, museums, major stores, and some restaurants take credit cards, but most places are cash only. I've dined in restaurants displaying credit card signs and then been ordered to pay cash when it was time to leave.

Train is around 4 Eur one-way.

Escalators are inside and go down to train tracks. About a 20 minute ride to Centraal Station.

Outside the terminal is the airport hotel shuttle. It will be around 15-20Eur per person. There is a discount for roundtrip purchase. The advantage is you will be taken to hotel door. Disadvantage is your hotel will be one of last hotels on route and will take longer than the train.

Renaissance Amsterdam is one of the closest hotels to Centraal Station. Only about a 10 minute walk. Google directions.

Avoid taxis.

Important Tip for first timer - Buy a 15 or 45 ticket strippenkaart for trams and busses when you buy the train tickets. The tram takes two strips for one fare. Four strips for the two of you to travel within central city. Individual fares will cost more than double the 45 strip strippenkaart fare.

You can also buy strippenkaart at Albert Heijn markets and the hotel concierge will be able to tell you other locations. Your feet will get tired of walking. And tell the tram driver you are going to either Centraal Station or Rijksmuseum so they only punch two strips per fare. There are some tram ticket stampers who love to punch three strips for tourists who don't speak any Dutch and just hand over the strippenkaart. You are unlikely to travel far enough outside city center to ever need a three strip fare.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LoyaltyTraveler - Great tips - thanks!

TJC,

The last picture is some Italian Ladies who are enjoying the time on the canal cruise.  The tour start was close to the main train station and cost 9 Euro's.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...