8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 3:08 PM by lentucson RSS

Survivorship of Marriott Rewards Points

daverag Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am in a domestic partnership where I now have 5 million rewards points and my partner over 1 million.  Many years ago I inquired about willing points and Marriott advised it is only possible for a spouse.  Does anyone have a perspective on this?  I placed a request for a legal opinion from Marriott and await their response. Thanks for your help!

• Re: Survivorship of Marriott Rewards Points
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

From the terms and conditions: Para 3, terms of enrollment

Accrued points and miles do not constitute property of the member.Points accrued by a Marriott Rewards member are for the member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or partner only in the case of documented death of the member. Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance.

I assume that means the points can be transferred to your partner. but, as with anything the points are there at the discretion of Marriott, which can end the program at any time (though that seems unlikely).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

daverag Gold
    Thank you for your reply.  From what you are saying, and I will have to consult the enrollment docs, a partner can indeed inherit points if death is confirmed?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    The information may be found under paragraph 3, Conditions of Enrollment.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

daverg:

I think that is the case.  A call to Marriott Rewards will confirm that it is, I am sure.  Most companies have changed their language to include marriages, civil unions, and domestic partnerships--Marriott as I recall was among the first.

lentucson Platinum

Marriott will permit the transfer of points to a spouse, however the program does not permit the transfer of points to children under one's will.

I would like to encourage MR members with substantial numbers of points to contact Marriott about this policy and request that it be changed.

For those of us with greater than 1M points, it is unreasonable to simply have them disappear upon death.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Recently had points transferred to me, and it was no problem.  Did it over the phone, and had to have the paperwork FAX into MR. 

Personally, I would not sit on major point accumulations.  That's just me.  Use them, and book early!  Think of your "Dream trip", and remember you can take loved ones.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...