13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 6:44 PM by nuhusker RSS

Ritz Carlton Stays

finedine Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Has there been any consideration to allowing Marriott Reward Points/Nights to accumulate for Ritz Carlton Stays? I'd appreciate that! 
  • Re: Ritz Carlton Stays
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    I for one would love to see the two programs merged and Ritz allow and recognize Marriott elites!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I've always found it odd that Ritz will aceept MR points for stays, but doesn't participate in the earning of points. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Brand integration between Ritz Carlton and Marriott Rewards may be revving up.  The Ritz Carlton Pointsavers could be a harbinger of more to come. There are differences that merit bridging.  For example, the Marriott Rewards redemption schedule is built upon Hotel Categories.  The Ritz Carlton Pointsavers redemption schedule has Tier 1 and Tier 2.  Mapping tiers to categories would be interesting...

If the brand integration between Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club is an example, brace yourself.  It took 25 years. The 25th Anniversary was April 2009 and the move of Vacation Clubs into Hotel Categories went into effect July 16, 2009.  Over that period MVCI built a critical mass of 400,000 owners and a portfolio of nearly 50 clubs worldwide.

Is the population of upscale guests loyal to the Ritz Carlton likely to accelerate in an economic downturn?  If not, the integration may be placed on-hold indefinitely.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi NUHusker

"I've always found it odd that Ritz will aceept MR points for stays, but doesn't participate in the earning of points."

My guess it's an upsell strategy.  Encourage Marriott Rewards members to experience the exclusivity of The Ritz using points, then convert them to paying guests with personalized services: in-room gourmet dining, spa treatments, concierge services, fitness training and so on.

The other compelling factors driving one-way point redemption are revenue and occupancy. Looking under the hood of the 2nd Qtr Earning Reports,* p15 and p 16 breaks out the number of properties and rooms by brand.  In the luxury segment, Ritz domestic has 37 properties and 11,549 rooms compared to Ritz international with 33 properties and 10,117 rooms.  By RevPAR (p21), the Ritz is at the high end with $185.34, but -31% down compared to 2008.  Ritz occupancy has the highest % decrease compared to all other brands. 

Exclusivity comes at a price that fewer travelers are willing to pay.

By encouraging/allowing MR point redemption, The Ritz can offset some of the losses.

* Earning Reports 

Speaking of Ritz Carlton, the Orlando property next to JW at Grand Lakes is offering a stay 5, pay for 3, which works out to about $200 per night and includes breakfast for two, free internet, and maybe some other perks I don't recall.  That's a deal that could draw some otherwise loyal Marriott/Renaissance clients.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks NUHUSKER

What a deal for a fabulous property down there! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

Do you know if that Ritz deal also includes complimentary onsite parking?   What is the JW/Ritz charging for parking these days?

Last week, I checked some Sept dates for Orlando which listed for $349 per night, which if you stay 5, pay for 3, is just a little over $200/night, less if you stay seven, pay for four.  Parking is comp for only 3 nights, I believe.  Don't know what it normally costs at Ritz, but JW is 16 or 23 (valet) daily.  Here are details I found.  There's a link on the Marriott main page for this deal.  BTW, don't know exactly where to post this, but a real perk for active and retired military golf enthusiasts in Orlando, green fees at Disney Palm or Magnolia courses are only $59 before 10am, and $39 after 10 am.  Both are to golf courses what the JW and Ritz Grande Lakes are to accomodations.

Valid through September 30, 2009
    Starting at $299 USD per night

Enjoy accommodations, daily breakfast for two, Internet, local calls, parking and up to three complimentary nights.

The Peace of Mind package includes:

• Deluxe overnight accommodations including complimentary nights*
    • Continental Breakfast for two at The Vineyard Grill
    • Internet access and local calls
    • Valet parking
    • Ritz Kids activities for two children

*Enjoy up to 3 complimentary nights:

• Stay 3 Nights, Pay for 2
    • Stay 5 Nights, Pay for 3
    • Stay 7 Nights, Pay for 4

Complimentary night(s) will be credited at time of check-out and must be consecutive. Breakfast can be taken only in the restaurant and does not apply to in-room dining.

Package is subject to availability and cannot be combined with any other offer. Advance reservations are required; rates do not apply to groups. Rates listed are per room, per night, single or double occupancy, and exclusive of taxes, gratuities and other charges unless otherwise noted. Hotel and resort credits cannot be used toward room rate, tax, resort fee or gratuities. Credit cannot be reimbursed or exchanged if not used. Credit must be used during stay.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I had stayed at the JW right next door. Both properties are very very nice but I was put off by the parking fee. The hotels are standalone with nothing around them for a mile, yet they make you pay for parking. I know nickel and diming is a part of their business plan, but at this place it's really in your face since the place is so isolated and they have a captive audience.

Good thing your breakfast is included because I had a cow when I saw scrambled eggs on the menu for $14.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

As Mikieg points out, the JWMarriott and Ritz are relatively isolated compared with other properties which are clustered on International Drive and near Sea World, Disney World or Universal.  If complimentary self-parking is included, sounds worthwhile, the JW has a terrific pool and the Ritz features a fabulous spa.

For dining, don't get your hopes up. The venues at the JW/Ritz aren't exactly culinary experiences to write about.*  Perhaps that explains why no one has written a review about Citron at TripAdvisor.com. It's not that the food is bad, it's pricey and nothing special.  Mikieg's comments says it all about the price for scrambled eggs.

* Re: What is the best resort in Orlando - ? 

TJC and Mike -- thanks for the input.  Although we've never stayed at the MCO JW, we did visit there a few years ago right after it opened.  I enjoy golf so between the Ritz course, Disney deals I mentioned, and Hawk's Landing at the Marriott World Resort (we have stayed there a couple of times) I'm sure I'll get past the parking costs.  And we'll have a rental, and know our way around O'town pretty well so eating shouldn't be a problem.  I don't miss too many meals.  My wife is already planning for the Japanes restaurant at the Marriott World REsort.  And she enjoys the pool and is looking forward to the lazy river, etc.  We'll be at the JW in Sept for a week, so I'll post my impressions then.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm heading to Orlando with my family the weekend of August 7th and noticed some good deals at the JW Grand Lakes but passed on it when I considered all of the "ancillary" charges that I would have to pay.

However, I kept the trip in the Marriott family since I booked a two bedroom villa at Grande Vista for the same price - with complimentary parking.

Mike -- have a great trip and give me some feedback on your choice of restaurants.  And thanks for staying, and spending your money, in the US.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...