11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2015 9:59 AM by boudreausean RSS

Insights Into the EDITION Properties - Marriott's Luxury-End Venture

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Informative leisure reading from today's Wall Street Journal: Ian Schrager Targets Luxury Hotels With New York City Opening - WSJ

The [NYC Edition] hotel in the Met Life tower is the fourth from Edition, a venture between Mr. Schrager and Marriott International Inc. that has opened properties in Istanbul, London and Miami Beach. Marriott says it has agreements for a dozen more Edition hotels, including West Hollywood, Abu Dhabi and three in China.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Insights Into the EDITION Properties - Marriott's Luxury-End Venture
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am attracted to this brand.  I almost booked last month's London stay at the London Edition.  We went with County Hall instead (and not a disappointment in the least), because it was my Mom's preference.  (She gives me so much free reign with planning our mother/daughter travels that I am wont to defer to her preferences whenever possible, though would indeed have otherwise gone with the London Edition.)

I received an email regarding the New York Edition property last month, and would like to try it, next visit.  It looks intriguing (though I wish they would post more than - one photo - on the hotel website).  I'm not sure how it would compare to the likes of the Mandarin Oriental at Columbus Circle, but

1) It's in a good location, the uniquely fashionable and variant Flatiron, close to Chelsea, Soho and Lower Manhattan all with their signature characteristics, and I like the idea of not being in the exact center of things (why I suppose the Times Square properties don't entice me).

2) Let's face it...  I'll never be able to afford (or would otherwise pay for) the likes of $750-1200/night for a room, so any luxury brand at that level of cost would have to be on points.  No CL, but when one stays on points, one has the cash to burn for meals out, and with so many good places to dine, not a detraction (though I would be curious to know if plats/golds are entitled to breakfast in the hotel restaurant in lieu of no CL?)  It looks to be a really great Marriott option for NYC (on points ).

I am curious about how the ones in West Hollywood and Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi needs more Marriott options, imo) will turn out.  The offerings at the Istanbul Edition look pretty stellar.

Good post and thanks for sharing the link.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I had not heard about the Edition Hotel coming to West Hollywood.  Marriott definitely needs a hotel in the Hollywood area as Burbank and Beverley Hills are further out from many of the tourist spots.  It will be interesting to see how the Edition does in WeHo.

slamwise Platinum

We will be staying at the Edition in South Beach in a few months.. excited to see how it is. For $600/night (or 210k points for 3 nights for us) I'm hoping it lives up to the expectations

chromeyun80 Platinum

I have stayed few nights at EDITION South Beach using my points 6 months ago.  It definately met my expectations and more.  We had 20 months old daughter with us so I felt we didn't "fit in".   Ended up shortening our stay from 5 to 3 nights.

Ask for ocean view, they are fantastic!

joshm Member

An interesting read, ssindc.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm curious to read of experiences with this brand, as it's not content we see too much in comparison to other brands.

memoran Platinum 7 Reviews

My daughter is getting her masters at Les Roches in Switzerland in hospitality and tourism and is in London for the weekend. I used points for her to stay at the London EDITION since what Marriott is doing with upscale hotels and branding is a frequent discussion item In class.

Her comments on checking into the hotel.... amazing,  spectacular service, great location, hip, cool. It must be something very special since this reaction is was way more than when we checked into the Bvlgari in Millan.

slamwise Platinum

Just finished up our stay at the Miami Edition (3 nights). Was upgraded to an Ocean view room and wow what a view! Loved the private beachfront and the pools/outdoor bar areas. For our Platinum gift, I received 500 points and complimentary breakfast each morning up to $105 (not including alcohol) that we took full advantage of. Highly recommend staying here if anyone gets the chance.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

ive been looking at  hotels on points redemption for my 5 night new york stay in september  and the edition has just came up on pointsavers at 200000 saving 40000 points  do platinum members get breakfast on a points redemption at edition brands or am i just being greedy lol

boudreausean Platinum

Staying at the EDITION South Beach now. Breakfast is no longer a benefit for platinum's - I don't even think there was a platinum gift at all. It's a gorgeous hotel and I'm a total Marriott fanboy - but using 50,000 points (which equates to many thousands of dollars) should mean more benefits for my loyalty. I am in no way unrealistic about perks and am very thankful for what upgrades I do get, but please - we're paying for it ultimately - we are the road warriors who give 100, 200, 300! night's a year to this brand. I ultimately expected a lot more than an "oceanfront" room (set far back from the ocean) and ZERO recognition of my loyalty. I'll stay at the Ritz next time - whether I pay or use points - they treat elite's VERY well and I'm always blown away.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...