7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2009 10:16 PM by anadyr RSS

Marriott & Ritz Carlton Jakarta Bombed

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Breaking news story: Jakarta Hotel Blasts

• Re: Marriott & Ritz Carlton Jakarta Bombed
    marcus Platinum
    Terrible news! And the second time Marriott has been targeted after Pakistan...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

More news coverage from the NYTimes: Explosions at 2 Hotels in Indonesia Kill at Least 9 including eyewitness video coverage from the Financial Times: Two Jakarta Hotels Rocked by Explosions

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

What a cowardly act!  These ideologues, the ones who carried out this attack, are truly beneath contempt, targeting individuals in a hotel who have nothing to do with their cause or their message. Sadly, this is not the first time that Marriott has been targeted, but hopefully it will be the last.

I worked for a time with the folks in the USG's counterterrorism group.  In those days (late 1970s) we assumed that once a method was tried and then stymied, that method would never be tried again.  Not anymore--the terrorists have short memories and continue to pick their targets for maximum havoc, death and of course publicity. 

I pray that the death toll will not climb further.  Too many innocent lives have already been lost in this horrific attack.

My sympathies and condolences to all those who gave their lives. Marriott will endure and rebuild; that sends a clear message to these cowardly individuals that freedom means standing up to terrorists.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Very sadly, these incidents trigger the vivid memories and emotion of the human tragedy of September 11th*. 

Regaining composure, I'm also reminded of the great acts of heroism, the outpouring of support and the two towers of light beaming from Ground Zero skyward into the night as a Memorial Tribute**. 

09112007_gz8.jpg

Photo Credits

Sept 11 Marriott Stories

** Memorial Tribute

The greatness of Marriott shines thorugh even in this senseless act--Mr. Marriott and his staff are concerned for the well-being of the associates and guests, while vowing (see his post on Marriott.com) to remain open and viable in this troubled region of the world.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Quoting from Bill Marriott's blog,*  "And we remain committed to providing a place of hospitality, for public diplomacy, business and enjoyment for our guests, and providing opportunity for our wonderful associates who work in Jakarta and around the world,"*  I'm most impressed by the phrase, providing a place "for public diplomacy."  In a way that is one aspect which also rings true of Insiders.

* Marriott Remains Committed

Marriott will always be a place that I and I hope millions of others consider our second home!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...