3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2009 10:58 AM by anadyr RSS

Marriott HMS

doctoml Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Did you know that Marriott runs bars at several airports across the country as 'Host Marriott Services' (HMS)? As a Marriott Platinum traveller I like the service I get at these bars. However, I am incensed each time I am asked for my ID. At 66 years of age I am not amused and only inconvenienced at this assinine rule. I can picture some Marriott corporate executive with little to do thinking that this rule will take the decision about who to card and who not out of the waiter/bartenders realm? When it first happened to me years ago at the Raleigh-Durham airport I tried complaining about this idiocy to the RDU airport authority and got the typical 'form letter' back. It is time for Marriott to stand up and take a little responsibility here. Why such a dumb policy????

Dr Tom

• Re: Marriott HMS
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Dr. Tom

When paying with a credit card, checking ID is becoming standard procedure. It's a sign of the times, unfortunately.  If paying with cash, an ID check is way over the top, IMO.

As Stepping Stones points out, HMSHost is now owned by Autogrill. The company operates multiple brands in airports, I was pleasantly surprised to find Cinnabon among them, for example.

When ID is requested, beware.  Increased pressure for revenue compels some companies to capture the contact information of their patrons and customers in order to build a marketing list.  Some individuals are unscrupulous and capture the information for their own purpose. 

This did happen to a friend who was shopping at an outlet mall.  When we saw the clerk entering our friend's ID information into the cash register/PC, we challenged it.  The manager apologized for the incident and voided the transaction immediately.    

More than a annoyance, you are very correct in voicing concern. Here is the contact information for Autogrill should you feel compelled to comment:

HMSHost North America

Corporate Headquarters
    HMSHost Corporation
    6905 Rockledge Drive
    Bethesda, Maryland 20817
    Phone: 240-694-4100

E-mail your comments and questions to comments@hmshost.com

HMSHost Europe

Amsterdam Schiphol Branch Office:
    Walter Seib Senior Vice President, Managing Director
    HMSHost Europe
    Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
    1117 ZN Schiphol
    The Netherlands
    Phone: 31-20-603-4660
    Email: seib@hmshost.net

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

DrTom

Host Marriott Services is not part of Marriott any longer, having been bought by an Italian company in 2006.  That company is Autogrill (not the chrome stuff on the front of my car).

According to mostly reliable Wikipedia

Autogrill (BITAGL) is an Italian-based, multinational catering and retail company, the world's largest in the travel dining sector,[3] which is controlled with a 57% stake by the Edizione Holding investment vehicle of the Benetton family.[4] Autogrill runs operations in 40 different countries, primarily in Europe and North America, with over 250 licensed and proprietary brands.[5] Over 90% of the company's business derives from outlets in airport terminals and motorway service areas.[6]

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Dr. Tom,

If they carded you for an alcohol purchase it is most likely because they have been fined or are being watched by the state's ABC. Vendors are especially careful since the local authorities often use undercover, and underage personnel to entrap bartenders and servers.

In many liquor stores, everyone is ID'ed or the transaction cannot proceed.  (Except in CA where the rules are very lax that is).  Some POS machines are programmed not to accept any form of payment until a date or birth is entered.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...