10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2016 5:05 AM by californian RSS

Singapore Marriot Review

kimkdallas Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As long time Marriott business travelers, we stayed at the Singapore Marriott rather than one of the more local hotels when we visited in June. The hotel sits right in the middle of one of the largest shopping areas in Singapore – during the biggest sale of the year, of course. What that meant to us was that the people watching was wonderful. We’d sit in the restaurant for breakfast and watch all kinds of people walk by. The other thing that really stood out was how easily Eastern and Western cultures, dress, languages and food blended in this city. No matter where you were in that spectrum, pretty much everything was accepted. 

Rooms

Beds were very comfy and the temp was easy to control in the room.  Room had 2 standard sized twin beds. Bottled water was provided in the room.  Rooms and Bathrooms were nice, but small--largely due to the design of the building.  Robes, slippers, safes, hair dryers and ironing boards were provided in the room.  One note on the safe --- it was in the closet and didn’t seem to be bolted down to anything…..  Although we had no issue.  In room coffee was ok, although like much of Asia was instant. 2-3 kinds of tea were also available.  Not uncommon to have to wait for elevators at all times of the day based on how busy hotel is.

Concierge Lounge

We were given access to the Executive Lounge on the 27th Floor.  Staff service there was wonderful, regardless of time of day.  There were coffee, tea, sodas and water available from 6am to midnight.  Daily modified continental breakfast was available M-F from 6-10am and 6-11 on weekends and holidays.   In addition to a huge selection of breads, cereals and fruits, there were a couple of hot options available each day. Breakfast was excellent and the coffee was really good!   Those with Lounge access had the option of taking breakfast in the restaurant as well. Complementary cocktails and hors d’oeuvres were served from 5:30 to 7:30 pm.   In some hotels, the evening snacks could serve as a substitute for dinner --- this was definitely one of those places!  They had salads, sandwiches, hot items, fruits, cheeses, and desserts. Alcohol was available at other times, but was billed to the room.  Desserts and fruits were served until 930 each evening.  Free wi-fi, as well as a computer that you could use was also available in the lounge.  The staff there was also able to take care of our checkout and offered great suggestions on what to do and how to get around. The lounge was fairly busy during both breakfast and happy hour.  

Breakfast in the Cafe

Buffet breakfast in the café was wonderful!   You had the option of sitting indoors or out, and we thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor option.  It gives you the opportunity watch the people as the locals are headed off to work. There was a fresh juice station, eggs to order, meats, veggies, local options, fruits, cheeses, cereals, yogurts and a waffle / pancake station with ice cream!  Service was wonderful – both tableside and at the various stations around the buffet.  I think this was our favorite breakfast experience the entire trip!

Transportation

From the hotel, you can access the subway stations very easily.  Entrance is right next door.  We found it easier to use the Singapore Airlines Hop-on, Hop-off bus to see the city. It’s the perfect way to get around to most of the major areas, and if you are making multiple stops, it’s definitely cheaper than cabs. Most of the hotels have brochures / maps and can tell you where the nearest stop is.  There was a stop right outside the Marriott on Scott and Orchard Road.  Cost was S$12 for adults or S$6 if you had a boarding pass from Singapore airlines.  http://siahopon.asiaone.com.sg/We used the airport shuttle to get to and from the airport for S$9 / person. http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home/getting_around/transportation/airport_shuttle_service.htmlAlso, the shuttle bus out to the night safari, zoo and bird park picks up from the Hyatt next door. Cost of S$4/person each way is cheaper than a cab (depending on number in your party). http://www.bushub.com.sg/additionalContent.asp?ContentID={B8D39D23-A308-4025-8134-CFB5FBFD3D2E}Hotel provided information on all of these.

Area

There are lots of big malls, little restaurants, pubs, 7-11, drugstores, bookstores, etc. within walking distance. You should be able to find what you want fairly easily without paying hotel prices. On the weekend, it is a popular area with the locals and can be fairly crowded.  It’s a great place to people watch.

Service

Overall, service was top notch. Everyone you saw spoke to you and was very friendly.  We were always greeted with a smile. English was VERY common in the hotel.  Housekeeping was great, and kept us stocked with bottled water. Room was serviced twice a day. Concierge staff was wonderful. Restaurant staff was fun, friendly and efficient.  The front desk staff walked us to our room.   Even if a request had to be handed off between staff members at shift change, it was always addressed – nothing was ever dropped.

Pool

We took some time to enjoy the rooftop pool at the hotel and it was wonderful! One of the oddest parts was realizing that you were on the roof, several floors above the street, and when you look out across the pool umbrellas, you see more skyscrapers! Pool is a pretty blue tile, and like all tile, can be a little slippery when you are in it.  There are some fun lounge areas across the back of the pool area, in addition to the regular lounge chairs. It’s an incredibly tranquil place!

Hotel was a great choice.   It’s very much at the center of the shopping area, and the pagoda design makes it easily identifiable regardless of where you are.  I’d definitely go back when in the area.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Singapore
Johor Bahru, Malaysia Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
Singapore, Singapore The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
  • Re: Singapore Marriot Review
    zwiebelchen Gold

Oh my goodness...I really appreciate the thorough review of this hotel. This will be my first visit to the country and also to this hotel...so, I thank you for placing such an informative review of this hotel. Thanks again...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

freighttrain Silver

Definitely one of my favorite Marriotts.

I landed at 2am or some other ungodly hour. They gave me a glass of juice while I waited to check in.

Later, as I was trying to get my computer hooked up, I had maintenance running back and forth trying to find an outlet to charge up my laptop. They brought back a 20ft extension cord with an adapter (just in case). They didn't tease me at all when I couldn't get the hot water pot to work. Really, very gracious about running around at 3am their time.

The breakfast staff remembered my name for the whole week. Remembered what I ordered and asked me on the second morning if I wanted the same or something different.

I would recommend it whole-heartedly.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
    Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
    Singapore, Singapore The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
    ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

KimDallas, GREAT WRITE-UP - Thanks!!!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Great review (by KimDallas), and, as I sit here in the Concierge Lounge looking out over the city, I'm inclined to echo or elaborate on a few points:

• Excellent pre-arrival welcome and communication by email from management;
    • Warmly welcomed as a platinum;
    • Impressive entrance - it's nice to walk through the fountains and into the high-ceiling lobby, and the orchids on the various tables are a nice touch;
    • Great location (in you need/want to be in the Orchard Road part of town - busy, shopping bonanza, etc.);
    • Excellent, comfortable room
      • wonderful king bed, terrific pillows
      • great windows - view differ (in 360 degrees), because rooms are distributed from the center - I'm guessing all rooms are "partial corner" rooms, which offer two views;
      • splendid, modern bathroom - one of the best rain forest showers I've experienced anywhere;
      • excellent work surface/desk and internet service;
      • no need for an electrical converter, as most of the jacks in the rooms have the cool Asia universal outlet - it just makes life easier;
      • endless supply of water bottles in the room (on top of endless supply of water bottles and other drinks in the concierge lounge, see below);
      • gorgeous live orchid in my room - with 8 beautiful flowers - alas, I had to ask them to remove it today because it was infested with small insects - I'm hoping they get the insects too;
    • Concierge lounge is comfortable, and wonderfully well staffed (the folks up here are nice and just can't seem to do enough for you)
      • one of the best concierge lounge breakfasts I've ever seen - it more than meets the standard for "full breakfast" - plenty of fish (salmon) and other heavy food options;
        • even better, you can choose whether to have breakfast in the lounge (quieter, no kids) or enjoy the remarkable spread in the ground floor cafe - more of everything on offer - it's a classic Asian high-end hotel "everything included" buffet;
      • generous (OK, almost aggressively generous) complimentary wine service during the early evening appetizer service;
      • fresh fruit (both whole and dried), as well as coffee, tea, and soft drinks available all day;
        • as KimDallas mentioned, it's feasible to stay here and spend NO money on food - HUGE breakfast, heavy appetizers, lavish desserts, and fruit all day....
      • I even printed some work documents easily (and without charge);
      • the 27th floor lounge view encompasses a full 180 degrees of downtown, which offer variety for frequent visitors;
      • all of which leads me to rate this as one of the nicest, most comfortable, and impressive Concierge lounges I've enjoyed anywhere.
        • It's not fair to point out that it's still not in the same league with the Budapest Marriott - my all time favorite concierge lounge - but the Budapest Marriott enjoys a huge space advantage - not only a larger, more diverse layout, but also the stunning roof deck that overlooks the Danube river;
    • The pool is very nice - it's attractive and comfortable - but, to be clear, it's an adult pool area - this is not your JW Marriott Grand Lakes family resort type pool - but it's stylish and quiet and relaxing and refreshing.....
    • Live music (with a good band) in the bar;
    • They offered free pressing for any garment (one per day), which is a nice service when you are travelling;
    • I was a little frustrated with the (otherwise quiet, smooth, fast) elevators - the hotel would do well to have one or two of the elevators only service the higher floors - a couple of times we had (very) long, frustrating, multi-stop rides....
    • One note to consider - we were pleased that the hotel was nice because, frankly, since the renovation, this is one of the more expensive hotels in the city.  (And I'm not talking an extra $10-25 - it's significantly more expensive than the Hyatt, the Hilton, the Orchard Parade, etc.)  To be clear, even though we booked a pay-in-advance rate, we could have stayed at the Four Seasons (only 2-3 blocks away) for a lower rate.  Of course, the Four Seasons has not been recently renovated, and we would not have enjoyed Concierge services, etc.  But it's still a shock to see a Marriott (and not a JW) price above the Four Seasons.  Still, we felt like we were well served and that it worth it.
    • This is only my second time in Singapore - both times on business - but I'll offer just a handful of tourist recommendations:
      • the Night Safari is unique - it's the only nocturnal zoo I've ever visited, and we really enjoyed it (last time);
      • try the Skybar - or just the sky deck - on top of the Sands down by the Marina - nice view, fun spot - killer view;
      • consider walking (or running or hiking) out at MacRitchie Reservoir Park - only a cheap taxi ride away - great exercise, gorgeous, fun animals - we saw lots of monitor lizards and monkeys - and we really enjoyed the HSBC TreeTop Walk (at 75 feet above the forest floor, the view is great and the feeling of being above the forest canopy is sublime) - we also enjoyed the Jelutong Tower (and - if possible - do that first, because it's a letdown if you've already done the TreeTop walk);
      • and try one of the Harbor Cruises on the Dragon boats - I've done both the afternoon tea and the dinner cruise (with different groups on different trips) - they're slightly tacky, and food is pedestrian, but they are VERY reasonably priced, and you see a very different side of the city and awesome port and stevedoring operations.

cjkatl Platinum

This hotel was a disappointment during my one night in Singapore. My feather free room had feather pillows. I went to the front desk, pointed this out, and they promised housekeeping would take care of it while I sat in what passes for the CL right now. After fifteen minutes, the front desk clerk came to the second floor and told me the issue was the pillows were soft, but they weren't feather. Nonetheless, he assured me, housekeeping was swapping them out as we spoke. Per instruction, I waited fifteen minutes (actually 20) before returning to the room, where I found the same pillow with the giant "Feather" tag sitting right where I left it. Not only did they do nothing to correct the situation, they went out of their way to lie.

After this eventually got corrected, I returned to the room. After a few minutes, I realized what was wrong. The carpet had giant stains on it. Big, slightly damp wine spills or baby diaper droppings or something. IMG_1281.jpgIMG_1280.JPGIMG_1282.JPG

Given it was an extremely small room and these where very big stains, it's hard to believe housekeeping did not know about this. It also appeared someone had tried to get at least one of the stains out. Yes, they did offer to move me to a different room, but at that point I had already wasted over an hour on check-in. They did put a rug over two of the stains, but this should not happen.

There are better hotels in Singapore, including the one I stayed at my first night there. I'd skip this one for now.

laxsas Gold

I was staying at the Marriott Tang Plaza, Singapore in August 2016 for 7 days.

Location and overall facilities are great. But the overall condition of the rooms and floors was not very impressive.

On the floor the tapestry was peeling off. The club lounge on 27th floor was overcrowded.

There are many better (and better priced) hotel options in Singapore.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Plan to be there in the future.  Great post.  Now how up to date is it as far as the condition of the rooms?