12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2009 7:01 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Extra Award Points

travelperfect Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The double Rewards point program was great.  It will help many of us to continue our elite levels.

• Re: Extra Award Points
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Double points do not qualify for elite status (Silver, Gold, Platinumk)  Do you mean Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelperfect Platinum
    The points do count towards the 75 needed to qualify for Platinum level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelperfect Platinum
    The points do count towards the 75 needed to qualify for Platinum level.

tjcnewyork Platinum

According to the Terms & Conditions for Marriott Rewards, 75 paid nights are required to qualify for Platinum Elite status.  See Elite Membership Requirements

Under the Intercontinental program, however, Platinum status can be achieved with two different qualification standards*:

1. Stay 50 nights during a calendar year at any of the IHG brand hotels.
    2. Earn 60,000 Priority Club points in a calendar year.

If you could provide a reference (URL) for the Double Points program that offers an alternative to qualify for Marriott Platinum Elite, it will be a great help. Thanks in advance.

* Buy Your Way to the Top

travelperfect Platinum

It was a promotion you had to register for online prior to staying at a Marriott property.  The promotion ended June 30th.

tjcnewyork Platinum

wrowdy Silver

Hi!

I have signed up for several of the promotional programs and have not seen any activity on my account.  I was wondering did timeshare stays not count towards the promotions.  I signed up for 4 of the promotions - 2 of them have expired and I did not receive any credit for the stays that counted towards the promotion. And the current promotions that I am registered for so no change.  (We stayed a week in June at Cypress Harbour) I know they say wait at least 10 days and it havs been about 2 weeks since our stay... Any advise?

tjcnewyork Platinum

Wrowdy

To avoid confusion, Points are different from Nights. 

That said, Marriott Rewards did have multiple promotions running concurrently.  It is not clear what promotion Travelperfect is referring to. Without the specific URL and/or Terms & Conditions of the promotion, it's difficult if not impossible to give direction. 

Travelperfect is referring to Double Points that qualify for Elite status.  I am not personally aware of any such promotion. That is not to say Marriott had or did not have such a promotion, I do not have any e-mail or collateral about such a promotion.  Moreover, the Terms & Conditions of Elite Membership specifically require 'paid nights' in order to qualify for Elite, so I am not sure why Marriott would run a promotion that contradicts the Terms & Conditions.

Regards your stay at Cypress Harbor, the Marriott Vacation Club brand did not participate in the Elite Rollover Nights Plus Double Nights promotion which ended June 26th.  If Cypress Harbor is your home resort or if you exchanged a week through Interval International into Cypress Harbor, you should receive credit for the ~deeded nights~ towards Elite status.  Because MVCI did not participate in Double Nights, owners will not receive 2x the nights stayed during the promotional period.

travelperfect Platinum
    The promotion was for nights not points.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Travelperfect

Thanks for the update.  We're on the same page.  Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights was an outstanding promotion.  And yes, it did help to accelerate Elite status.  Let's hope that Marriott will extend this promotion of Double Nights again.

browell Platinum

I LOVED Free Nights & Rollover (23 Bonus nights) and now it's time for Summer Megabonus!  

As a comparison, you ought to see the trick Priority Club pulled.  They offered "Celebrate Our Biggest Free Nights Offer" Which gave you 4 free nights for 8 nights stayed! (not bad when you think about it.) Oh, but wait, there's more!  You'd better read the small print.  In exchange for the promotion, you had to agree to receive NO POINTS "During the Promotion Period".  This meant that for your 8 nights, you get 0 points, just the 4 Free Nights....oh, but wait, EVERY night you stayed after that until the promotion ended (July 3), you STILL GOT 0 Points! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Celebrate Our Biggest Free Nights Offer"

Here are the details of Intercontinental's Priority Club promotion: Stay 2 nights get 1 free

Unlike Marriott's Elite Rollover plus Double Nights promotion which offered unlimited bonus nights towards Elite status by the June 26 cutoff, Intercontinental's is a pawdry 4 bonus nights. What's up with that?

'No points' is to offset Intercontinental's "loyality liability".  As discussed at Insiders earlier*, promoters must 'reserve' funds to cover for the future redemption value of the reward.  By offsetting this liability, Intercontinental lowered the risk of the promotion. I agree it is a trick promotion.

Marriott ran multiple promotions to drive revenue and it worked as the Q2 results made evident. To limit risk, Marriott tried different versions of a free night offer in the New Summer Promotion**.  Some Rewards members received points and others received a 1 night certificate.  In a down year, kudos to Marriott for finding multiple ways to stimulate activity and reward members for their loyalty.

*   loyalty liability 

** New Summer Promotion

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...