9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2011 4:23 AM by blava007 RSS

Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel - is it that bad?

laslondon Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have two rooms (on points) for 4 nights in late July for the Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel. Just been reading some shocking reviews on Tripadvisor. Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently?. Is the service really bad?. I can’t believe a Marriott would offer such a poor customer service.

Please share your thoughts about this hotel.

BTW, I would have liked to book only one room but since there is 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children), we needed two rooms (maximum occupancy is 3 per room).

Thanks

Las

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Barcelona, Spain
  • Re: Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel - is it that bad?
    ksbdallas Platinum

I stayed at this hotel in November 2008 and it was nice.  A friend and I were there for 3 nights before catching a cruise ship.   I did not experience any problems with service.  Everybody was extremely helpful.  The hotel is on a major bus route that is very easy to navigate and a lot cheaper than taking the hotel service into town.  We would take the public bus into town and then rode the "hop on hop off" buses to tour the city.  The ride is a little longer, but you do get to see other parts of the city, which is what I like to do.

The staff went overboard in helping my friend when her wallet was lifted out of her purse by a pickpocket at las Ramblas.  (be very careful!) 

It took a while to find the concierge for the special 'expedited' loyalty check-in, so it would have been faster to have just done a regular check-in thru the front desk, but this was a minort inconvenience.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

laslondon Platinum

Hi ksbdallas,

Thanks very much for the useful info. I didn't realise taking the bus into town was an option. How frequent was the bus?.

Las 

laslondon Platinum
    Just got back after my stay. Hotel was nice. First night had to stay in a normal room since no Elite rooms (2 next to each other) were available. Got moved to two rooms next to the lounge after I complained on the 2nd day. Service could be better (especially the wait at reception). Bus (#165) runs every 20 mins or so, Monday - Friday.

captww Silver

We stayed at the Barcelona Renaissance Airport Hotel in Oct 09, Service was good. Except pick pockets are bad. My wife encountered a group of three in the Lobby while we were checking out. One distracted her and the other two stole her fanny pack sitting on our luggage while I was checking out. Thank goodness she only lost her camera. No money or pasport. Now the hotel won't return emails in reference to their insurance paying for poor security when they knew they had a problem. Keep your things close and don't be distracted. Barcelona is a very nice place and enjoyed our time there.

tuna17 Platinum

stayed there last Sept/Oct to start our trip and finish as we toured San Sebastioan and the Costa Brava . As plat member you have access to food and beverage in hotel. great service, concierge was great. shuttle to and from Barc. You are outside the town in a business section. It was quiet and food an wine at hotel were excellent. Beds, rooms quiet and well appointed.Ask concierge for dinner reco's in  town.

csmsmith Gold

ARE YOU SUREYOU STAYED AT THE ABOVE HOTEL??  MY WIFE AND I STAYED, ON POINTS TWO NIGHTS. IT WAS  OUR BEST STAY .

THE STAFF  WAS THE BEST! ALL ARE NEEDS WERE MITE WITH THE UPMOST CARE& SPEED,  WE WILL STAY AGAIN ON OUR NEXT TRIP TO SPAIN ALONG WITH FAMILY!!

jwwjws Platinum

Just returned from 2 separate stays at this Renaissance in May (2010).  We would rate the service as uneven - polite but not forthcoming.  For example, we reported a bulb in a light fixture as "burned out" and asked that it be replaced the next day.  We removed the bulb and left it laying by the fixture.  The bulb was gone when we returned but not replaced.  One morning the entire hallway was covered with semi wet towels.  We have no idea why and it was removed by later in the day.

The lounge delivers more than the lounges in the US.  The hotel is quite distant from downtown although bus service gets you there in about 40 minutes for 1.40 euros each way.

Comparing this hotel to other Marriott properties in Europe, we would rate this property below average.  However, the rate we paid was also below average so all in all we think it was a good value.

We had no security issues.

jrunner Gold

Hello,

Just stayed at this hotel June 18-22 and we had a good experience. Checking in was a little lengthy as there are always people arriving from the airport. We also found out that this hotel gets completely packed on the weekends from people arriving before their cruise ships depart on Sunday or Monday. Overall we found that whenever we needed anything, someone was quick to help. The rooms were fairly nice but the rest of the hotel wasn't quite as nice as you would expect from a Renaissance. I found the pool to be disappointing compared to the pictuers shown online but we really didn't use it much as there is so much to do in the city.

If you are a gold member, there is a nice elite zone that provides computers and free internet access, a great breakfast, drinks all day long and really delicious tapas in the evening. The restaurant downstairs also had great food but was a little pricey.

blava007 Platinum

We stayed there three nights, in the exec tower.   The service during PM in the Exec Lounge was one of the best we experienced.    

It's a 15-20 Euro taxir ride to the center of the city,   Unfortunatly there is 100% nothing near the hotel only airport 5 minutes way.

if you do not have access to the Exec Lounge, consider a different hotel in the city center. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...