4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2009 9:56 PM by midsouthdig RSS

Too many points for Cayman

tapline Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have experience on this?  I am taking the family to the Caymans for 8 nights and reserved a room accordingly.  I realized that the mini suite was more room than we needed so I downgraded to a courtyard view, standard room.  After my certificate was issued I see that I had 210,000 points deducted for the room and 40,000 deducted for upgrades.  My issue are;

I don't think there are any less rooms available so why am I being charged an upgrades?

At the time I made this reservation, the representative didn't tell me I'd have to pay any additional upgrade fees.  I only discovered this when checking my account balance.

My fear now is getting there only to discover something else gone wrong.  I'm going on vacation and shouldn't have this worry that I currently have...that Ive had my room switched just so Id have to pay an additional 40,000 points.  I did register a complaint, so I will see where that leads to.

Am I being an alarmist?  Perhaps this is normal...but it just seems that 250,000 points is a lot to spend for 8 nights (room only.  I'm paying separately for my flight).

• Re: Too many points for Cayman
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Beware. When using points to redeem nights at resorts, Marriott will tag on an additional 5,000 points per night to guarantee the upgrade.*  At some Caribbean resorts, beware of the point plus CASH upgrade. ** 

* Point or Paid Room Upgrades?

** BEWARE Booking with points UNCLEAR & UNFAIR

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wrowdy Silver

Hi!

I realize that I am late in responding to this post, but I encounted a similar situation when my husband and I booked out honeymoon trip tp Hawaii in November 2008.

We used our Marriott Rewards points to book our airfair and room for 7 nights. When we called to book the standard room like the certificate told us to, they told us that those rooms were sold out and that we had to book an upgraded room.  We booked the upgraded room for fee per night to hold the room because that was the hotel that we wanted for our honeymoon.  When we got there, we were given another upgrade but we were going to have to pay for that upgrade too.  We did the second upgrade (because it was our honeymoon), but ended up having to use points to offset the payment.  Some other issues occurred while we were there, so we had to get some others involved.  I still feel that we shouuld not have had to suffer because the hotel could not honor our certificate.  I feel the first upgrade should have been complimentary because they did not have the room to honor the certificate.  I hope that everything works out for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I still feel that we should not have had to suffer because the hotel could not honor our certificate.  I feel the first upgrade should have been complimentary because they did not have the room to honor the certificate."

I agree with you 100%.  Marriott failed to deliver on the original reservation that they were supposed to honor.  Therefore Marriott is in breach and should have given you a complimentary upgrade and refund what you paid in cash and points. 

Assuming that you have your Confirmation# (perhaps from an e-mail?)  and have the hotel receipt (or get access to the transaction # from your credit card company) consider reporting what took place to customer.care@marriott.com

The subject of your e-mail should say, "Disappointing experience in Hawaii Confirmation #123456578"  In the body of your e-mail, describe what took place and ask if it would be possible to speak with a customer experience officer in the executive office.

I think it will be more effective to speak directly with an officer given the time that has elapsed.  Someone in Salt Lake needs to take ownership of this, investigate and be held accountable for a positive outcome.  Any experience with Marriott should be memorable and unforgetable - especially a honeymoon in Hawaii.  It is the expectation of any bride and groom that Marriott will make your stay special.  

The fact that you are recalling the negatives that took place clearly indicates to me that Marriott failed and your expectation now is that Marriott will make it right - which is something that Marriott should have done by honoring your reservation.

Good luck 

midsouthdig Gold

I am going there March 2010, how did your trip work out?

gary

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...