2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2009 7:29 PM by james30 RSS

NY AREA RESIDENCE INN HOTELS

coco2009 Member
Currently Being Moderated

My husband may be traveling to NY weekly for business trips several days a week. We thought the Residence Inns may be a good option for him.   I know that are several locations.  Can people share their experiences with these hotels with us?

Thanks! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NY AREA RESIDENCE INN HOTELS
    tjcnewyork Platinum

How exciting for you and your husband!  Like many metropolitan areas across the US, the New York metropolitan area has an extraordinary large radius spanning upwards of 100 miles. 

While the metro epicenter includes NY, NJ and CT, there are folks who commute into Manhattan from beyond. There are several Residence Inns throughout the region. Most are located near the major corporate corridors clustered around the city, but there is only one Residence Inn in Manhattan on Avenue of the Americas in Midtown. 

Since longer stays are involved, consider thinking about how one experiences New York from airport arrival, car pickup/drop-off through the day-to-day.  For example, although the Residence Inn in East Rutherford, NJ is within 8 miles of Midtown, crossing the Lincoln Tunnel can involve a 45 minute commute by bus.  The Residence Inn New Rochelle is within 15 miles and takes about an hour commute by train using Metro North.

If a car rental is involved, consider $50 - 60 dollars per day in Midtown versus complimentary parking onsite outside of the city. Also consider the tolls, Manhattan is an island connected by bridges and tunnels. 

While there are many delis and dining venues in Midtown, the closest supermarket to the Residence Inn Times Square may be Greenwich Village.  In contrast, East Rutherford and New Rochelle feel suburban and relaxed.

Good luck and best wishes for a successful transition to New York! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NY AREA RESIDENCE INN HOTELS
    james30 Platinum
    I worked in Manhattan for several years a while back.  I would recommend the RI in Manhattan if your husband's work is in Manhattan.  As for other properties, I also liked the Courtyard East and, of course, the Marquis.  I would not recommend the Marriott East as rooms are very small.  Commuting in and out of the city really adds a lot of time to your work day and requires some adjusting if one is not used to it.  If he is going to make several trips he can, of course, try some properties in other areas.  I enjoyed the Princeton NJ area.  Parking a car sometimes is a challenge if one is taking a commuter train; driving takes quite some time, as there is always back-up at the tunnels.  Hopefully he will have a chance to get out and enjoy NY; a great city as you probably already know. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...