4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2009 10:42 AM by nuhusker RSS

Marriott on the Move

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Fortune this week speaks about the changes underway at Marriott hotels:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/22/news/companies/marriott_hotels_makeover.fortune/?postversion=2009062508

Worth a read 

• Re: Marriott on the Move
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"Times are changing"*

From assorted-size bacon strips to patriarchal pilates, the June 25th Fortune article, "Marriott http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/22/news/companies/marriott_hotels_makeover.fortune/index.htmhttp://money.cnn.com/2009/06/22/news/companies/marriott_hotels_makeover.fortune/index.htmgets a wake up call"* draws no conclusions, but fuels speculation about the future of Marriott Rewards. 

Did anyone notice what's ~not~ said???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Interesting.  TJC, I'll guess that you're referring to the lack of mention of Loyalty program.  Seems to me Marriott Rewards is worth some ink considering the number of participants, not to mention those who stay at marriott because of this program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Exactly, NUHusker.  It's extremely odd to me that the author inks 2 paragraphs about moving bacon strips as if that's a unique challenge to Marriott.  Doesn't Hilton, Starwood, Hyatt and Omni serve bacon strips?  

Why not interview Bill Marriott about something more relevant?  How about what Marriott is doing to master technology?   That's a challenge for any transaction intensive business and Marriott not only has an award winning web site, but has been booking upwards of $12,500 a day in mobile reservations since 2008.  What is Hilton doing on mobile?  If you Google Hilton mobile reservations you get to Hilton in Mobile, Alabama!  Starwood has a lot of press about mobile reservations, but trying to reserve is pure agony from a Blackberry.  

Marriott Rewards is the grand daddy of loyalty programs and Marriott is doing some heavy lifting with brand integration i.e. Marriott Vacation Club as well as brand differentiation - Ritz.  That's far more relevant than Bill Marriott on the move with pilates.  

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Agree, maybe a little too micro for a Fortune 500 CEO.  I'm glad Mr. Marriott is staying healthy and hope his longevity results in enhanced service and product for us, the customer.  Lastly, having grown up on the farm, and the son of a pork producer, I do love that bacon!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...