2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2009 9:21 PM by james30 RSS

String of Awards??? Not so fast

geomedic Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I keep seeing references to a "String of Awards". While factual, this should not confer praise on the present MarriottRewards system. The major change at the beginning of the year renders these award moot, and their repeated referencing only tries to spread the ever thinning veneer of success across a much changed program.

After nearly 10 years of loyalty to the Marriott brand, 80% of the time reaching Platinum level, I have seen changes over the past year that annoy me to the degree that I have stopped using Marriott as my first choice.

While the hotels themselves are uniformly good, their cost relative to the competition is frequently 25% higher. The benefits for elite level are constantly shrinking, and the Concierge lounges have been whittled away to the extent that I often don't even bother anymore. It is now better to burn through my points on merchandise than on service, and where else does that happen?

<still searching for a level 4 hotel to use my card night in a place I actually want to visit>

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: String of Awards??? Not so fast
    tjcnewyork Platinum

There are varying opinions on this topic, and it's a good one to discuss - thanks for posting. 

In my opinion, Marriott is an award-winning company and Marriott Rewards is an award-winning program*.  While I do agree that Marriott has some ground to cover on Award Redemption**, I think it is important to offer solutions with the criticism.

Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights is an excellent example. Elite Rollover Nights is an industry-first and many Elite are hoping that Marriott will extend the program indefinitely.  Neither Hilton or SPG offer it.  Kudos to Marriott for being innovative.

* 1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service

** HiltonHonors 1st in Awards Redemption

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: String of Awards??? Not so fast
    james30 Platinum
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you.  Benefits for elite members continue to diminish and the shock of the changes in required points for the different property categories has dampened the enthusiasm of many. I, too, no longer look to Marriott as my first choice.  While one of their business strategies is to make it easier to achieve a particular status with roll-over nights, etc., having more people in those categories may result in fewer benefits.  I am happy for anyone achieving any and all levels but we may all start looking the same eventually when it comes to benefits which will mean fewer rather than more.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...