4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2009 5:03 PM by james30 RSS

Points For Restaurant Room Charges at Marriott Courtyards

mjklmk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I recently stayed at a Marriott Courtyard where we had the breakfast buffet.  When I checked my point balance on the Marriott site, I was surprised that I did not receive points for my restaurant room charge.  When I called Marriott customer service regarding what I thought was an oversight, I was told that we do not get points for restaurant room charges at Marriott Courtyards.  A couple of questions:  When did this policy come into effect and why the change?  Tell me again the benefits of staying at a Marriott Courtyard or having a business meeting at breakfast?  This is a small point, but I would think in this economy Marriott would be working very hard to incentivize patrons staying at a property to spend as much there as possible.  Am I missing something?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points For Restaurant Room Charges at Marriott Courtyard
    james30 Platinum
    Thank for the post; I was not aware of this.  I'm not sure what they were thinking since this is the only property where there is a charge for breakfast and one does not receive the points.  This fact itself is smaller than the broader message it sends.  Oh well, maybe they prefer we stay at a Spring Hill Suites where breakfast is free and have our colleagues in the next morning for a breakfast meeting.  Hmm..., guess I'm missing something as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points For Restaurant Room Charges at Marriott Courtyards
    tjcnewyork Platinum

As described at Hotel Stays, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Towneplace Suites and Fairfield Inn earn points on room rate only.   

For weekend getaways, Fairfield and Springhill deliver the best value for my wife and I.  We prefer a 1 BR king suite with breakfast.  We also enjoy Residence Inn w/a king, but will use points for better value.  Residence Inn Tudor Wharf Boston is a favorite; BF offsets the paid parking.  With smaller beds and bagels, Townplace Suites is second from last. 

W/o BF and smaller room size, Courtyard drops to the bottom of the value scale.  Location, upgrade and view will offset this.  For example, Platinum overide got us an oceanfront room with a balcony at Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront and Courtyard Cocoa Beach using points!  With a HoJo's, Friendly's, Denny's or IHOP nearby, BF is more enjoyable than Courtyard Cafe, IMO.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Many reservations come with the following fine print:  Points are accrued for room charge only, or something to that effect, especially if you are staying at a discounted rate.  Not sure when this happened but it is there if you look far enough down the page.

james30 Platinum

Yes, NYC, that's where I found the info which it is why it's interesting that Courtyard is the only one where you pay for breakfast and don't get points.  The other properties that give points for room only either provide free breakfasts or no meals are available on the property.  

For those interested, I suggested Spring Hill suites because they provide same number of points for each dollar of the room rate as does Courtyard. Many of these newer properties are quite nice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...