7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2009 2:01 AM by spiritwood RSS

Rome Central Park Review (after stay)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I wrote early in my stay that the Rome Central Park Hotel was excellent in all respects.  I stand by that opinion after 12 nights there.  There were a few glitches, like one elevator out of order anda couple of times when the van to Ottaviano was full and left people behind. They seem to have addressed this by the end by adding a second van.Still, I only took the van a few times - Gemelli FR 3 around the corner runs every 10-15 minutes on weekdays and Saturdays and no worse than every half hour on Sundays. This is especially important since the van doesn't run return trips at lunch hour (12:00-2:30). Regardless of whether you take the van or the train, get a transport card for 3 days (11 euros) or a week (16 euros) if you're there more than a day. It gives you unlimited transportation on all buses, metro lines, and the regional train system that includes Gemelli.

The rooms and service were of the highest calibre. It made me a little nervous that the word Marriott wasn't on anything inside or out, but it was definitely a Marriott-class room/service. While I wouldn't recommend the lunch, the outdoor grilled dinners were excellent light Mediterranean fare, especially good in the hot days of summer.

So maybe it's not the Grand Flora, and not quite as conveniently located, but I have to say that after very hot long days it was wonderful to 'get home' to the large air conditioned room with a balcony overlooking Pineta Sacchetti Park and the Vatican.  And that's at anywhere from 1/3 to 1/5 of the price depending on when you check the two hotels.

Breakfast was free, at least for Gold Elite.

My one recommendation to the property would be to reduce the cost of wireless, which was exorbitant (88 euros for a week, though it was definitely high speed and reliable).

• Re: Rome Central Park Review (after stay)
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm about to make reservations for Rome and am really on the fence on where to stay. Since I'm staying on points and will need two rooms for 5 nights, I'd hate to use 320k for a stay at the Grand Flora. I'm doing research on the Rome Central Park and am having a problem committing to it even though it would cost a lot less points.

My first concern of course is the location. When I travel to Europe I like to come back to the room before dinner and change from the sweaty clothes that I've been walking in all day. If I stay at the Grand Flora it will be easy to head back and relax before dinner but the Central Park I perceive will be a pain.

Also, the property is switching over to a Courtyard in a few months and that means no more Executive Lounge, specifically, no more breakfast. Since I'm traveling with my teens, breakfast can add up if I have to pay and a lounge would save me a bundle each morning.

Can anybody put my mind at ease about getting to and from this property and what a taxi costs to get into town?

Also, we plan to take a few day tours and I'm concerned that there wouldn't be any pickups at this hotel. Are my concerns justified?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi MikieqFLA,

You raise some real issues about getting back and forth, though I didn't find it a problem -- as I mentioned in my early post, I used Gemelli which runs every 15 minutes to a connecting stop.  I will be staying at the Central Park again.  Here are a few things to think about --

Can you actually book the stay at the Flora in August on points?  People have had lots of trouble in the past.  The prices at the Central Park are very cheap for August, so you might consider paying and accumulating points instead (but make sure they post them -- I had to contact Marriott about that).  I wouldn't waste points on a very inexpensive stay.

Don't worry about the breakfast part. Although they don't have an executive lounge, the breakfasts were free to elite members.

They do have tour pickups -- with Green Line Tours (I did a wine tasting tour of Montepulciano and Cortona).  Not all the tours offer the service, but the longer ones do pickup and dropoff.  And the concierge might be able to find other tours that also pick up at the CentralPark.

I love the Flora so if you can manage booking on points, do so. At the same time I thought the Central Park was a wonderful hotel, with location being the only sticking point -- but with several ways of getting around it with the shuttle bus and FR3 Gemelli.

Hope this helps!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Like I said, I don't want to use 320k points for two rooms at the Flora. What I plan to do is book 5 nights at Central Park using points and pay for the other room.

The Elite breakfast will soon be a thing of the past at this property because it's changing over into a Courtyard around October. My trip there won't be until late spring 2010.

Thanks for the tips, you put my mind at ease.

Hi again, Marriott already considers the Rome Central Park a Courtyard -- as I found out when I did not get points for food and other amenities. But I did get the free breakfast. Now what you'll find is a hotel that is in every way a Marriott (with quite luxurious rooms), but it still has its old stationery (Hotel Central Park, a Movenpick hotel) with room books that do not use the Marriott logo -- nor was the word Marriott on anything at the property. I was rather alarmed at that and with some reason since I had to call Marriott to get my points awarded and also my Premier Visa Marriott Rewards card to get 5 times the points as opposed to 1. I did, there was simply a delay because it had to be processed by Marriott and Chase rather than the hotel. So that's my only caveat. Whether breakfasts will stay free when it has the Marriott logo on it remains to be seen. Still, it is a great bargain -- they have 'long-term stay' prices for 4 nights or more that are ridiculously inexpensive by European standards. Hope this helps!

Over the years I have been to a few hotels that were not exactly branded Marriott except for the outside sign, so that doesn't bother me.

I did notice the long term stay price, which as you said, is quite reasonable.

I also contacted the hotel directly through email and the GM did say that breakfast will not be give to Platinum members once the changeover is complete. Which begs the question, are there local places around the hotel to eat breakfast before we head into central Rome?

Hi again, Since I got the hotel breakfasts, I'm not sure what is available nearby, though there are several other hotels. Perhaps most importantly, a 3-min walk (before you even reach the FR3 Gemelli station) there is a supermarket and an ATM). So you have the choice next spring of buying the hotel breakfast (though I have found Courtyards in Europe are not consistent on making you pay compared to here in North America), finding a local place (they exist -- I just don't know them) or getting something for the next morning at the supermarket. That can be a serious plus compared to the Flora -- there is nowhere in long walking distance to buy anything like wine or cheese or fruit or whatever. My only point about the branding is that there isn't even a Marriott logo on the outside of the hotel or the bills -- it's nowhere at all at present. That's what caused my problems getting credit for the stay with both Marriott and Chase. Like I said, it was resolved without problems once I called both but I wrote Marriott again asking them about the issue because of my upcoming stays. The hotel still seems to act like it is a Movenpick hotel even though in all respects it resembles a real Marriott -- and much more so than most Courtyards. Keep checking the deals. You can get as low as about 80 euros a night for long term stays. Have fun! ProfC

spiritwood Platinum 3 Reviews
    We were trying to decide between the Flora and the Central Park for our first visit next year and we decided on the Flora!  What do you know about it?  I was a little nervous about the dress code for breakfast!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...