1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 5:36 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Roger Dow, Creator of Marriott Rewards

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Roger Dow, who is now CEO of the US Travel Association was most recently senior vice president, global and field sales, leading Marriott's 10,000-person worldwide sales organization.

He is profiled in this article in meetings.com:

"The Big Reward 

"The driving force behind the Marriott Rewards program, Dow calls this his biggest accomplishment. "I saw what the airlines were doing and thought it may work with hotels. I went to Bill Marriott, who was always open to new ideas, and he agreed we should give it a try," says Dow. "The first two years, I had peers trying to kill this idea a hundred times over. They called it a high-cost, ineffective program. I stuck out my neck on this one, and fortunately I had the support of the big guy. Once it got its legs, it took off like gangbusters. Today, Marriott Rewards is a multibillion-dollar enterprise within an enterprise." By the time other hotel companies started similar programs, Marriott had a two-year head start and two-and-a-half million people enrolled in the program.

"The "big guy," is one of three people who have had the biggest influence on Dow. "I learned a lot about leadership from Bill, who is someone with such high values, who was so hands-on and involved," says Dow."

• Re: Roger Dow, Creator of Marriott Rewards
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Currently Being Moderated

Great post!  Success stories about innovation, vision, leadership and service are the hallmark of Marriott.  Marriott Rewards is indeed a success story about Marriott's leadership in the industry, but guest loyalty would be completely without merit if Marriott did not deliver upon our expectations for legendary hospitality and service.  In order to meet and exceed expectations, Marriott takes the task of training and support very seriously.  Creating a culture of service doesn't just happen, it must be nurtured, supported, explained, acknowledged and rewarded.  Just the other day, one of the videos about the Spirit to Serve caught me off guard: Spirit to Serve our Guests

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/ServeOurGuests.jpg

Click to activate

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...