14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 2:54 PM by anadyr RSS

San Francisco week of 6/15

jeannieniles Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Visitng SF this week.   Any suggestions of things to do?   Which Marriott is preferable?

Thanks!

• Re: San Francisco week of 6/15
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Jeannie:

See an earlier note to VPPlayer.  Marriott's Stanford Court on Nob Hill is convenient to San Francisco's cable car routes:

SF MAP

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jeannie:

FWIW, a Marriott associate at the Stamford Court is a 2009 recipient of the highly coveted and prestigious, Marriott Award of Excellence.  In my experience, hotels with associates that are distinguished with a service excellence award have something very special about them.  

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/StephenChu.jpg

Renaissance Stamford Court General Manager, Scott McCoy congratulating Banquet Manager, Stephen Chu. 

Click image to activate

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    JW is best IMHO and Mike Wlodowksi, Opns Manager is a wonderful associate.  Great Union Square location, tremendous rooms, great amenities.  Give it a try.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
    I highly recommend the Alcatraz tour!

jeannieniles Platinum
    Drove 500 miles, then checked in at hotel.   I use my maiden name and our Marriott Rewards Account is in my husbands name.    The lady at the desk would not allow me to check in until she called my husband to verify I was who I said I was.   My email address shows on the account, i had proper ID, have stayed here previously.   This was the rudest check-in I have ever encountered.   She was equally rude to my husband on the phone.   I appreciate the security, but I felt humiliated and even offered to move to the Hilton, but she wouldn't give me back my ID!!!   Hope the rest of the stay is better than the beginning.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Unbelievable!  Regrets to hear about your check-in experience.  There are hundreds of thousands of people who retain their maiden name, where did this happen???  At the Stamford Court or the JW???   If you're at the Stamford Court, ask to speak with the GM Scott McCoy.  As Stepping advises, ask for the Ops Mgr, Mike Wlodowksi at JW.  Mention, that the referral to stay at their hotel came from Platinum Elite at Marriott Rewards Insiders.

No matter the outcome, the event should be reported to Customer.Care@Marriott.com   It's not a criminal act to retain your maiden name.  What's going on at that Front Desk? They should comp you the room, dinner and more, and send the Front Desk agent back to Marriott school.

nycuws10025 Platinum

JeannieNiles,

Sorry to read of the less-than-welcoming "Welcome" you received.   Which hotel did you select?

I have all but eliminated the problem you described and not only does my spouse have a different last name, he is of the same gender as I am.  

When I book a room for a trip and there is a possibility that he and I will be arriving at different times (different flights from different cities - not uncommon for us at all), I always make a note in the "Comments" field of the reservation when I book at Marriot.com that the "second guest name= xxxx and he may arrive first"  We've never had a problem.

While you're in S.F., I think you'd enjoy just wandering around both Russian and Telegraph Hills, where a surprising lot of the city "streets" are actually stairways bordered by delightful little residences and often friendly cats and dogs who are happy to see visitors.

In the museums department, of course there is the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, the Palace of the Legion of Honor and the S.F Museum of Modern Art to name the three best-known.

No visit to S.F. would be complete without a ride on our historic Cable Cars - one of only two moving National Monuments in the country.  Be sure to visit the car barn which in addition to great historical displays also lets you see the mechanisms which actually drive the cables which pull the cars.

Fisherman's wharf can easily be skipped - it no longer bears any resemblance to the "real" S.F. and is now purely tourists although the Musee Mechanique in that area IS of interest.

For dining, S.F. is a culinary wonderland.  You don't have to look hard to find great restaurants which are not horribly expensive.  I don't know what your preferences are so I'll refrain from making suggestions here - the list would be very long.

I'm sorry the start of your visit to our fair city by the bay was not more in character with the tone I would have thought you'd get from most residents.  I sincerely hope your visit improves from here.

NYCUWS10025

jeannieniles Platinum

Thanks to all who responded to my problems with checkin at the J.W. Marriott.   I read that hotel occupancy is 53% and to be treated so rudely was quite a surprise.

It was so wonderful to receive the supportive and helpful responses.  At least we know Marriott has "great rewards members" that are very very helpful.

Was this at the JW at Union Square?  How sad.  Hope you filled out a comment card.  My condolences on a bad experience there.

I was a victim of ID fraud last year--someone was using my number and PP status to make reservations, and then cancelling them as well as cashing bad checks.  While researching the problem I discovered and told corporate that the ID system in place was not working since the felon had been checking in without an ID or a MR PP ID.  Perhaps this is the result of that ID checking.  But that being said there is no place for rudeness ever on the part of any Marriott Associate. Seems it may be time for a little one on one counseling of the associate(s) involved. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

I continue to have every confidence that you did not experience what you described at the Renaissance Stanford Court. If associates are treated right, they will treat the customer right.  That's Marriott philosophy and company culture.  Obviously, something else is happening at the JW.

The GM at Stanford Court, McCoy nominated one of his own, Stephen Chu for the Award of Excellence.  In order to be nominated you must have a consistent record of exceeding guest expectations and a file overflowing with notes to prove it.

Your report compelled me to call and reconfirm several upcoming reservations spanning several brands and categories.  After travelling for 5, 6, 7 or 8 hours, all my wife and I want to do is unplug and re-energize.  Marriott's promise is to make that happen.  Regrets to hear the JW failed to deliver.  

-- Edited by TJCNewYork at 08/19/2009 10:29 AM EDT

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jeannie,

Glad you finally did get in!

Are you shopping to make a change in SF?

You have some other choices that may suit you better.  You may want to have them give you some bonus points for this outrage.  Right now, woman travelers are a great block of business! 

jeannieniles Platinum
    Thanks to everyone for your assistance and help with my unfortunate check in experience at the JW Marriott San Francisco.   I took your advice and spoke with the operations manager, Mike Wlodowksi.    He was great, said he would speak with the reservationist and asked "what I wanted to compensate me for the difficult check-in experience".    I said I wasn't expecting anything.......but the hotel should make sure other guests weren't treated the way I was.    That evening Mr. Wlodowksi sent to my room a terrific wine and chese tray with fruit.   I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jeannie,

Congratulations!  There is hope for all of us!

Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else or you again. 

Jeanne

Glad that Michael was able to make some amends--he is a perfect exemplar of the willingness of Marriott to make the stay right.  I will thank him as well when I see him next.  

Hope the stay was a good one--did you do all the neat things in SF? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...