14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2009 1:03 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Camelback Inn

captj440 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

My daughter and I are staying at the Camelback Inn for 5 days the end of this month.  My husband booked this mother/daughter getaway as a gift to our daughter as she just received her Masters Degree.  Can anyone give us suggestions for restaurants, shopping, etc. in the Scottsdale area?  Also would you recommend we rent a car?  Thanks for your help!

• Re: Camelback Inn
    lorirobert Platinum
    What a wonderful gift. Congratulations to your daughter and to you for having such a thoughtful husband.  You will want a rental car if you would like to explore the area. There are so many wonderful restaurants it is impossible to list them all, I don't think you can have bad meal there.  The best meal we had was at the Pinon Grill http://www.millenniumhotels.com/millenniumscottsdale/restaurant/index.html in the Millennium Scottsdale resort.  The outdoor patio looks over the lake on their property, the service was fantastic, ask for the male server from Lima, Ohio (if he still works there) he was great!  Camelback is so beautiful, I hated to leave it everyday.  Enjoy!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Consider treating yourselves to the famous Spa at the Camelback Inn.  It's worth every penny.  I bet your other half knows exactly where and how many knots are waiting to be massaged away.  

The architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright including the Arizona Biltmore Hotel which he influenced merits a visit.  In Hilton's Waldorf-Astoria Collection, the Biltmore features the Cabana Club for dining alfresco, poolside.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lorirobert Platinum
    Yes, TJC New York is right, the spa is the best! I had the most wonderful massage I have ever had!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The Borgata Shopping complex in Old Scottsdale is worth a visit. There is a Trader Joes there for snacks.

If you are adventurous a morning climb up Camelback Mountain. Given the heat this time of year go early--the Concierge can tell you the easy and the hard way to get to the top--it is strenuous but the views are fantastic.

If it is open FL Wright's studio, Taliesen West, is a great place to tour.  Not open all the time, but a must see if open. Malees on Main is a fantaastic Thai restaurant that we've always enjoyed.  http://www.maleesthaibistro.com/locations.html

Have a great time, watch the heat, stay hydrated, etc. Scottsdale has a lot of offer anytime of the year. 

captj440 Gold
    Thanks everyone for all the great info!  I just printed off the brochure from the spa and we'll definitely treat ourselves to a few spa treatments.  This is really going to be a worthwhile trip for both mother and daughter in more ways than originally anticipated.  I just found out that I have a possible reoccurence of breast cancer after finally hitting the all important 5 year survival date.  So it will certainly be a benefit to have a little time to de-stress before I get back to treatment reality.  My daughter and I will certainly enjoy the shopping and fine dining!!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Our prayers are with you.

tjcnewyork Platinum

What a hopeful message to post on Insiders!  Congratulations on the milestone. Not everyone is given a 2nd chance, let alone five years.  Survivorship is part of who you are; each day is cause for gratitude and celebration!   In that spirit, consider contacting the spa director and specifically ask about the availability of OMCP certified massage therapists.

lorirobert Platinum
    You are in my prayers. My mother is a 20 year survivor of breast cancer, you are certainly not alone.  Enjoy.

thinze3 Gold

We like Kierland Commons for walking, shopping and dining. I think it would be a great outing for a mother and daughter team.

http://www.kierlandcommons.com/

captj440 Gold

I appreciate your kind thoughts, suggestions and prayers.  Cancer can take away many things but never my spirit or the faith I have in others.  Wishing all of you "Happy Travels"!  I hope I can be of help to one of you some day too!  Thanks again!

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://main.acsevents.org/images/tacs/msabc/msabc-strides-logo-small.jpg

Marriott's support for survivors and their families is evident in so many different ways:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/RelayForLife.jpg

Click to activate

phxpashun8 Platinum

Spa loving, Phoenix resident here.  

I love the spa at Camelback Inn.  Especially the hot stone massage -- absolutely one of the top 3 massages I have ever had -- and I've had a lot of massages!  Be sure to take you time and enjoy all the amenities - sauna, steam room, pool, etc.  The bistro/bar is nice for b'fast/lunch -- the cheese plate is a lot of food for the $$ and very good -- if you like cheese.

I prefer "local" restaurants to big chains -- that said...  For a splurge meal, I highly recommend "Elements" at the Sanctuary.  It's on McDonald Dr -- about 10 - 15 mins from the Camelback Inn.  The view is awesome and so is the food.

http://www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com/content/elements.html

http://www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com/content/elements.htmlFor a sophisticated meal, extremely appropriate for a gal with a fresh master's degree, try Tarbell's -- great food in the Biltmore district with white linen tablecloths but not the usual pretention of some of the other establishments in that area.  Oh, and did I mention the food and wine are excellent?  http://www.tarbells.com/

http://www.tarbells.com/If you go shopping at Kierland Commons -- be sure to eat at The Greene House -- one of the best restaurants in the area:  http://www.foxrc.com/the_greene_house.html  Actually, any of the Fox Concept restaurants are terrific...

I would avoid El Chorro Lodge -- good food -- but the atmosphere is a bit stodgy for a recent college grad.  I also cannot recommend Tomaso's -- good food, but atmosphere is just not -- well, trust me, your daughter wouldn't enjoy it...

For good, authentic Mexican, try Tee Pee -- it's nothing fancy!  http://www.teepeemexicanfood.com/

As far as shopping goes, well, Phoenix/Scottsdale has it all.  If you want something unique, I suggest wandering the streets of old town Scottsdale and going in all the art galleries and maybe finding an art piece you can bring home and enjoy every time you look at it or touch it or whatever... Or, get directions to the Heard Museum in central Phoenix -- probably the BEST Native American museum -- and they have a lovely store with unique items that are not made someplace on the other side of the Pacific Ocean!   

Ideas for gifts for others or yourselves would be a tooled leather belt with silver buckle -- with or without turquoise!  These can be as simple or as elaborate as your tastes dictate...  Textile art -- rugs, wall hangings, etc...  Take a LOT of pictures -- when you get home, pick one that captures your heart, enlarge it and frame it -- be sure you ask people to take pictures of you and your daughter, together!  

Anyways, enjoy your trip.  I know you will.  Besides hiking Camelback Mountain, you may also consider visiting the Desert Botanical Garden -- a little less strenuous! -- or taking in a baseball game if you're so inclined...

Have fun!   

phxpashun8 Platinum

Forgot to mention -- yes, rent a car, unless you really want to "unplug" from the rest of the world...  

Also, when you make your spa appointments -- ask if that is the best price going or if they have any specials going on -- recently, they had buy 1 treatment, get 1 1/2 off...at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in North Phoenix/Scottsdale and I think they had the same special at Camelback Inn...  It doesn't cost anything to ask and no one will think you are being cheap. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

The Camelback Inn has one of the best places to dine of all the Marriott properties I have been to!

Each meal, and especially breakfast, was very enjoyable!

Have a great time at Camelback! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...