Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2009 9:04 PM by superchief1 RSS

Loyalty 2009

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Colloquy reports that 701 Million Retail Industry Memberships Account for 39% Share of U.S. Loyalty Market

The U.S. Retail sector, led by Specialty Retailers, Grocers, Mass Merchants and Department Stores, now constitutes the largest collective market for U.S. loyalty reward program memberships, outstripping Travel-Hospitality and Financial Services aggregate memberships, the 2009 COLLOQUY Loyalty Census shows.

COLLOQUY’s latest census research shows that across-the-board Retail loyalty program memberships now number 701 million, representing 39% of the U.S. loyalty market. That compares to 556 million in Travel-Hospitality, which includes Airline, Hotel, Gaming, Car Rental and Cruise programs, representing 31% of the market, and Financial Services credit card programs at 422 million for 23% of the market. The 2009 COLLOQUY Loyalty Census measured the scope of U.S. loyalty marketing in 2007 and 2008.

• Re: Loyalty 2009
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Loyalty marketing builds strong brand recognition. Everyone loves a sale. Capture attention and deliver revenue with frequent promotions, great deals and deep discounts.

As stated previously, a string of awards shows that customers are saying, Marriott 'you got it right' on the earning side of Marriott Rewards points.  BUT, we've also learned the hard way that points are not inflation proof.  Major 'sticker shock' contributes to Marriott losing ground and customers to Hilton on the redemption side.

We're midpoint in the year, and many of us have been loyal stretching thin budgets to respond to discounted rate promotions.  Let's see more discounted weekend rates into the fall, plus free nights and Pointsavers deals. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

NY:  Yes we have to keep the pressure on--we are the customer base that Marriott values most.  Omni hotels, albeit smaller, has just announced a free weekend night for anyone staying a weekday night!  Deals are multiplying as the slowed down summer season begins.  

We are still in the post AIG "no travel to resorts" stigma, which means lower demand at higher end properties.

I intend to maintain a vigorous (some might say frivolous) travel regime, since it is what I value and nearly always includes Marriotts.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"We are still in the post AIG "no travel to resorts" stigma, which means lower demand at higher end properties."

Challenging times requires innovative approaches.  I'd like to see Marriott say, 'Yes we can' and proactively take the lead in developing stimulus solutions that meet federal terms and conditions to prevent misuse of public funds but stimulate meeting and travel activity that gets the economy moving again. The sooner the better.

superchief1 Platinum

I work for an International corporation with fairly strict travel policies. Up until two years ago, Marriott was a preferred vendor with competitive corporate rates in most markets. At that time, Marriott lost out to Hilton. We can now only stay in a Marriott/ Renaissance when their rate meets the acceptable guideline for that area. Embassy Suites with our corporate rate is now much lower than the best rates we can get with Marriott.

We can use Courtyards, but I have found many of them to cost much more than they are worth, especially the older properties. I hope Marriott is more competitive with their corporate discounts with my company in the future. Otherwise, my business stays will continue to decrease and I can do nothing about it. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...