5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2010 9:17 PM by blava007 RSS

Overnight travel from Paris to Rome via train

nsdtraveler Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding overnight travel from Paris to Rome, should we do it or just fly from one country to another?

• Re: Overnight travel from Paris to Rome via train
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

nsdtraveler,

We did it with a stop in Milan and it was great on the train.

Go to Eurorail.com, make sure you have seats and know exactly what station your train leaves from!  There are many stations in Paris, and you will want to get to the right one;

Good luck! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I travel everywhere in Europe by train.  Especially in France (in my experience) the high speed train system is superb.  I wouldn't even try to deal with airport hassles.  You should get a sleeper or first class for overnight, but I would definitely suggest all trains over all planes -- unless there's an ocean in between :).

If for some reason you go by day, you'll get some amazing views of the Alps and the Italian lakes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

htthorsen Silver 3 Reviews

The high speed train from Paris to Marseilles is a wonderful adventure and from there another train to Rome.  I love train travel in Europe almost as much as driving in Europe.  So, if time is not a problem, the train is a way to see more of the county and it is worth the effort.  You can spend the night on the Mediterranean and take another train the next day to Rome.  Try looking at Europass for train info.  

teacherbear Member 3 Reviews

The overnight train is out of sight especially if you get a room for two.   much nicer then flying, of course takes longer.   I lived in Europe for 8 years and took the train as much as possible, always the best way to go if on e has time,

blava007 Platinum

I would suggest not take the overnight train if you do no purchase a sleeper;  

·         Our cabin was completely full no room to turn, etc, with 6 people (four we did not know)

·         the train ride was 12+ hours  

·         there was nothing to view or enjoy at night anyways

Take a flight, save 12+ hours and enjoy Paris,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...