35 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2009 9:34 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Status Report

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At mid year I have a personal status report on the new Marriott Rewards program. Most of these apply to Platinum Premiers but there is commonality with other elite levels:

Double nights:  no problem in seeing the postings to my account within 48 hours of the completion of a stay.

Brand Standard in Concierge Lounge:  The new standard seems to vary widely--some locations have moved to a more simple, less elegant concierge food arrangement, and some have actually moved up the culinary ladder.  I concentrate on staying at the latter.

Hotels Overall:  I have seen a steep reduction in the amenities at some Marriott properties, and consider that not a good thing.  The treatment of loyal guests varies widely--best at places I frequent a lot, not so good at new destinations.

Communications with Marriott: 

Phone:  The Platinum Premier desk is always helpful and get to know you after a few calls.  Other than an issue with VISA, which they are trying to resolve, all is going well with the folks in Salt Lake City.

Internet:  Not as robust an experience. I have a password on my account and often get that as a reply when sending an email so I rely on the phone.  Marriott should have a way to overcome this, and I have asked.

Insider:  I like the conversational tone of the Insider and often discover something new when browsing it.  I know that Marriott Rewards is listening--this is a great feedback mechanism.

Overall, tough times have hit Marriott as well as other loddging chains.  In my opinion Marriott is trying (perhaps not hard enough everywhere) to hang on, but they seem to have lost sight of the needs of the most loyal and most frequent travelers among us--Platinum Premiers. At least at some hotels.

Here's to better times and better relationships between Marriott and its customers.

• Re: Status Report
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"I like the conversational tone of the Insider and often discover something new when browsing it."

I agree.  Since Insiders are required to login with a Marriott Rewards ID and 99.9% observe the terms and conditions, allowing messages to post in 'real time' may increase the vibrancy of the Insiders community. 

Too often, replies to requests for information are posted hours later only to be missed by the person who needs the information in the first place.  Delaying posts for content review/censorship may be overly restrictive and hold up the sharing and information exchange. 

"I know that Marriott Rewards is listening--this is a great feedback mechanism."

Kudos to Marriott for listening!   As a touchpoint, Insiders provides a great feedback mechanism for surfacing and escalating unmet customer needs. Hopefully, gaps observed between Marriott Rewards and the participating brands like Marriott Vacation Club among others get escalated and resolved faster.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NY:

I think Marriott is sensitive to "bad" posts and therefore runs a scan for offensive language and those comments that are considered libelous (if that's the term).  A person can keep track of posts using the subscription links on the third item along the top. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kahunapremier Platinum

Agree (Hotel Overall) that the standard for PP should be consistent amenities throughout the Marriott chain, regardless if you are new at a hotel or a frequent guest.

Disagree: Double nights. Airline industry standard is to post points when the person arrives at destination, same should occur once the person checks out of the hotel, within 24 hours not 48. Takes the night audit to submit that or better yet, automate the process.

Communications with Marriott:

Plat P desk in SLC are fantastic folks, agree that they know you by name, which is so true. Problem I have with the VISA annual certificate is that it is ONLY applied to the person who owns it, but yet that person can't will it to anyone in his/her family or friends. If I pay for that card annually, I should be able to collect annual certs to be used at any time I won't, willed to another of my friends or family members at any time and in all Marriott properities. Other than that, love the Marriott VISA program.

Internet: Too pricy, should be free to Plat Premier guest AT LEAST, price reduction or free for Plat and Gold. Don't know about Silver....

MRInsider is indeed a great place. I know that Mariott is using this forum for answers to make "things" better-which is a good thing for us and Marriott. Still like my idea of top five ideas submitted on this site, if used, then reward those that submit them. Incentive is such a good thing!

Internally at Marriott, I don't think all hotel brands know of this website, which is a shame, as this can and should grow into a great feedback mechanism.

It will be interesting to see the Hospitality system in about 5-15 years with this economy.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I agree, a real-time posting system would be welcome. Waiting 24 hours is absurd in this day and age.

Kahuna:  Thanks. Three cheers for the folks at Platinum Premier in Salt Lake, former travel agent Connie among them! Problem solvers of the first order in my experience.

I think Marriott could give you instant credit for stays with little problems.  I know that when I have stayed at the Friends and Family rate, courtesy of fine folks at Marriott, the hotels, 50% of the time do not see it as a credited rate and I've called PP and they fixed it no questions asked. 

I also think that Platinum and PP need to be moved up from the other Elite levels, with more perks and more gifts.  Hope that will happen. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott is sensitive"

Inviting your most loyal customers to Join the conversation, and then control the progress of that conversation merits rethinking.

If Marriott seeks a thriving online community that is actively engaged in promoting the brand, then real-time posting is a solution that merits serious consideration. When faced with critical feedback, rely upon your loyal customers to defend you.  If the criticism is valid, invite your customers' feedback to help vet a solution.  Marriott Rewards Insiders is a great platform for that and real-time posting will make it even better. 

TCJ:

Most blogs have a moderator, and for good reason.  While everyone can comment, not all comments are reasonable and true.  Allowing the system to self correct in real time seems to me a bad idea--one that merely encourages falsehoods, and other claims.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Most blogs have a moderator, and for good reason.  While everyone can comment, not all comments are reasonable and true.  Allowing the system to self correct in real time seems to me a bad idea--one that merely encourages falsehoods, and other claims."

Respectfully, SS - that's actually incorrect. 

Waiting 24 hours for a message to post and then another 24 hours for a reply causes members to lose interest.  The model needs serious rethinking.

Unlike other online venues, Marriott Rewards is a 'gated' website.  Registration w/a Marriott Rewards ID# and Login is required.  A gated venue like Marriott Rewards fosters tightknit community.  Real-time posting and assigned moderators are not mutually exclusive as your comments suggest.  Marriott Insiders will benefit greatly from real-time posting plus moderators.

Seasoned Elite members eager to stay on top of the programs and promotions that are most likely to benefit them have a keen interest in visiting frequently.  By virtue of the Elite status and deep experience with the Marriott brands, they are better able to answer questions and engage with a member who has a question or an issue.  Unofficially, the Elite members become volunteer forum moderators.  It's a form of mentoring, again that is ideal for Insiders.

Over a very brief period of time, there are hundreds of people who participate because the need for community is fulfilled.    Real-time posting accelerates the formation of thriving and vibrant community.  

OK--data time!  What is the longest anyone has ever waited to see their post online?  My experience is that is less than two hours at the outside.  Almost simultaneous as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps you saw in the WSJ the other day where a blogger outed an anonymous blogger and regretted his instant doing so.  Words can wait. None are that priceless to me.  I use the Insider as a metric for sentiment among all MR members (since it is not resticted to elites any more), and that's about all. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/OnlineTravelCommunity.jpg

As shown above, Marriott's intent is explicit, "An Online Travel Community," prompting a question:  What is the most effective tool to achieve the desired outcome?

A1:  Real-time Reservations accelerates business.

A2:  Real-time Messaging drives community.   

* Blog vs forum: What's the difference?

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/OnlineTravelCommunity.jpg

As shown above, Marriott's intent is explicit, "An Online Travel Community," prompting a question:  What is the most effective tool to achieve the desired outcome?

A1:  Real-time Reservations accelerates business.

A2:  Real-time Messaging drives community.   

* Blog vs forum: What's the difference?

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I've waited 4-5 hours, sometimes longer I believe.

Seems TJCNewYork's are sometimes posted almost immediately!  Must be a timing thing!  ;-)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Quick follow up.  As shown below, the intent is inconsistent with the implementation.  Real-time message posting is a suggestion to help achieve the business objective(s).

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/ThankYouforyourpost.jpg

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Seems TJCNewYork's are sometimes posted almost immediately!"

I wish, NewHilton.  Most of the time, I'm responding; but there are times when I welcome quick help.  For example, I'm patiently waiting for a reply to a question posted 2 days ago about Concierge at the Marriott's Marina Del Ray.  I'm booked for next month and can still change it with more current info than posted by Jerrodsdad January 26th.

It's really frustrating to be able to book a reservation online and receive instant confirmation, but be unable to get Elite level assistance in two days.  The lack of reciprocity is due to the small community of active participants.  Sometimes it's a turnoff. 

The idea of 'Message police' is actually insulting, and won't really help in this instance - they don't get it. Moderators who actively walk-the-walk and talk-the-talk because they are in fact seasoned road warriors are the ones who can and should be here.  I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just very frustrating so I can only imagine how another Elite member might feel when they have a question that goes unanswered.

An impasse for sure.  Until they change the rules there will be a lag time I am afraid, and that's too bad.

45 minutes from writing to posting on this one

18 minutes for this to post!  I think it depends on the time of day that you post... 12-1pm and 5-6pm ET posts seem to appear more quickly! 

TJCNewYork, I meant that many of your posts seem to appear on the board very shortly after you have submitted them... based on the date/time stamp of your submission.

Sorry to hear that you are not receiving any response to your Marina Del Ray questions.... wish I could help you but I've never stayed there.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Morning, all.

I know the timing of posts between "submission" and "actual live posting on site" seems a bit odd, but allow me to explain some of the inner workings on our end, and a change on the immediate horizon. 

Just this week, we approved to alter our moderation from what you currently experience (submit a post for a moderator to approve before going live) to "Sweep Moderation." Essentially, instead of a moderator giving each post an "okay" before going live, your posts will immediately go live on the Insiders site.

I will do my best to let you all know when this moderation takes effect (very soon!). Once "Sweep Moderation" goes into effect, for your internet safety, moderators will be checking out the Insiders site around the clock, removing any inappropriate posts and/or posts that violate our terms of service. 

I hope this clears things up!

Thanks and Happy Friday, 

Andrew

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andrew,

"your posts will immediately go live on the Insiders site"

Bravo!  Thumbs up for building community!  Thank you for considering and implementing this feature.  The approval speaks highly of Marriott's confidence in the future of Insiders as a thriving online travel community.  

Best wishes for Insiders growth and Marriott Rewards success as the award winning program at the forefront of hospitality. 

Good luck with the change and hope that everyone plays nice--which I think they will

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Thanks, Marriott, for listening.

archieb Platinum
    Thanks, Andrew for this change to immeditate postings.  I have been a loyal Marriott customer for 22 years.  I love this forum and would not post anything inappropriate.  I'm interested in a real dialogue and being empowered to understand and improve the services I receive.  Bravo, Marriott, for setting up this site.

Not sure this will get posted, but I replied here a few days ago about censoring and how a message I wrote on the MVCI site was censored.

Interestingly, my reply on this board about censorship was, well, censored and didn't get posted.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Interestingly, my reply on this board about censorship was, well, censored and didn't get posted."

First of all, what MVCI site are you referring to?  Second, your post here could be delayed, and I'm confident that you will receive an email if your post breached the Terms & Conditions.  

By accident, I posted a duplicate message.  It was posted and then removed.  I received an email to that effect.  Having passed the 625 message mark (OMG) I've not always kept my cool, here.  Overall whoever is moderating is doing a great job. Give your post a few more days, let's not second guess.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"censorship"

Censorship is counterproductive to Marriott's objective to build a vibrant and thriving "online travel community."  Every member post is user-generated content.  Content is what attracts and compels members to return.  To "Join a Conversation" there must be one taking place.  So content is absolutely essential to the kind of community Marriott wants to build.  

The impact of censorship can best be understood by the removal of the "Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes Forum" discussion.  That 'conversation' included 636 messages that had been viewed 27,582 times.  That is quite phenomenal considering that only one discussion has passed 82 messages.  I had never seen such active participation that it compelled me to print out the entire discussion thread to a PDF file exceeding 50 pages.  The morning after, the discussion vanished. Result:  The majority of posters are no longer active.  (Their profiles, though, still exist.)

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/Welcometoour2009Program.jpg

In my experience, Content builds Community; and Community creates Commerce.  For what it's worth, Marriott: Consider the merits of restoring that content and inviting those who posted back. 

I also got a duplicate posting email and other than that mistake (mine) none have ever been censored.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andrew

Today I noticed that the time between submission and posting is nearly instanteous.  Kudos! 

I posted my comments on Vacationclub.com in the "Making the Most of Marriott Rewards" section of the "Vacation Tips Board".

Again, another user wrote about her marvelous experience using the Europe Hopper award and I issued a comment that the Europe Hopper reward was discontinued as part of the programs new "enhancements".

Regarding my post to this site which never appeared, I issued it a week ago and I would have thought it would have showed up by now.

Same here, my posts are showing up immediately.

tjcnewyork Platinum

'never appeared'

There's the possibility that a keyword or phrase triggered a 'hold' and the moderator responsible for releasing the post and contacting you via e-mail may be on vacation. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"another user wrote about her marvelous experience using the Europe Hopper award and I issued a comment that the Europe Hopper reward was discontinued as part of the programs new "enhancements."

Aside from the fact that http://www.mvci.com and http://www.vacationclub.com was not redirecting correctly earlier, and triggering error messages,* I'm thinking along the lines of 'What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.'

My-vacationclub.com is a great resource for owners when it comes to e-billing and owner documents. From the standpoint of brand integration between Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club, MVCI owners with questions about Marriott Rewards are probably best served by Marriott Rewards Insiders.  

Of course, that's my 2 cents.

* http://www.mvci.com and http://www.vacationclub.com are working now.  The folks at Marriott Vacation Club were swift to act on my report.  Kudos!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Afternoon, all.

Just to make it official - the Marriott Rewards Insiders site has officially made the transition to sweep moderation. Enjoy seeing your posts immediately appear live on our site! Thanks for your input!

Thanks very much, Andrew!

P.S. This took 11 minutes to post.

frankiesesso Platinum 5 Reviews

I'm with you  Steppping stones although my experience with MArriott Corp on all levels, even e-mail has been great.

The hotels, which I don't frequent often or I am a new face, truly struggle to keep it with standards between lack of rcognizing the loyalty of a platinum premiere, amenities, adn the rebranding of the lounge (one of my biggest complaints), to inconsistent policies (lower-end properties telling me I don't qulaify for platinum arrival gifts or upgrades when using points.

Pathetic!

• Hooray for Sweep Moderation!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott Rewards Insiders site has officially made the transition to sweep moderation. Enjoy seeing your posts immediately appear live on our site! Thanks for your input!"

Congratulations on a very smooth transition to sweep moderation and thank you, Marriott for the enhancement.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...