8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2009 5:12 PM by johnnybravo RSS

Confused about category ratings for Marriott hotels

johnnybravo Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
I was hoping for some clarification as to how Marriott assigns a category to their hotels.  I thought that JW Marriott is their high end chain, but when I look at their category 8 hotels, I see regular Marriott as well as Renaissance.  So, is it based on location, rate, and whatever else they base it on?  Also, is JW the only chain that has an executive lounge?
  • Re: Confused about category ratings for Marriott hotels
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Johnny,

Good questions!

I do know that other chains have lounges and some very good, but like Marriott, it depends on each property.

It looks like your opinion of how properties are classified is correct.  Pretty subjective but at least a start.

Good luck on your travels! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi JB:

Most likely the categories are assigned like those stars in the Mobil Guide--based on place, amenities and in terms of Category 8 hotels, hig volume, high cost and high demand hotels.  To my knowledge Marriott has never explained the formula for deciding which are which, and they have never downgraded a hotel, only upgraded some to Cat 8 (this year), 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Johnny

All of the above?  "Location, location, location" drives demand, rates and brand offering.  New York, Paris, Rome and London are upscale destinations. Given their seasonality, Miami South Beach and Capri took me by surprise.   

Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe someone from Marriott will post a reply and clarify this for me.  I was just thinking about a trip to Europe sometime in near future and going JW Marriott all the way, assuming that that was the high end of Marriott hotels, but there are regular Marriotts and Renaissance that has higher category.  So, a bit confused.  Thanks again.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Johnny

"I was just thinking about a trip to Europe sometime in near future and going JW Marriott all the way, assuming that that was the high end of Marriott hotels, but there are regular Marriotts and Renaissance that has higher category." 

Brand (JW, Renaissance, Marriott, Residence Inn, Courtyard) is ~not~ an indicator of Category.  For example, the JW Marriott Hotel Cairo, Egypt is a Category 4.  However, the Renaissance New York Hotel 57, the Courtyard Manhattan Midtown East, the Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square and the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square South are all Category 7 hotels. Location is a very important attribute:  "Every Marriott hotel has a reward category based on its location and on the services and amenities it offers." *   

* http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/hotelrew.mi

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Johnny,

Just remember that "High Ratings" do not always make the best place to stay!

Each place has its merits and you really have to look at your situation and wants.

So often I have passed staying at a Cat 7 Marriott to stay at a Cat 1 FF.  It's just about location and what you really want.  Sometimes, I just like parking and walking to a room close by.

Good luck with your travels! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

""High Ratings do not always make the best place to stay. It's just about location and what you really want."

Agreed.  Convenient locations; friendly associates; spotless spacious and comfortable rooms; free broadband; fitness centers and healthy breakfasts at affordable rates.  

"Sometimes, I just like parking and walking to a room close by."

Exactly. Properties with complimentary parking rise to the top of my list.  It's a real plus to see your car from the room. Before turning in, I like to hit the remote lock just to make sure the car is locked.  

Thank you all for your input and wonderful advice.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading youre replies and will benefit from it.  I may ask about specific property as my travel draws near.  Thanks again and safe travels...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...