3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 5:20 PM by mcwgold RSS

Disappointed--loss of reward pionts

russellmck Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When we purchased our Maui TS, we were scheduled to earn 50K rewards points every 6 months for financing our loan through Marriott.  One month later, the program was cancelled by Marriott.  That was one of the main reasons we purchased the unit was because of the 100K reward points we would earn per year.  Disappointed would be an understatement.  To use that bonus as a sales pitch and then cancell a month later is less than ethical. 

Has anyone heard if Marriott intends to reinstate that program and if so when? 

• Re: Disappointed--loss of reward points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Russelmck:

Thanks for your candor and taking the time to participate @ Insiders.  My regrets on your disappointment.

"When we purchased our Maui TS, we were scheduled to earn 50K rewards points every 6 months for financing our loan through Marriott.  One month later, the program was cancelled by Marriott. "

My vacation ownership with Marriott spans multiple weeks over 15 years.  I've referred several people who now own.  Reports regarding cancellation of point incentives for financing with Marriot started surfacing late last year.  Candidly, I was startled, and relieved that my brother-in-law did not finance with Marriott on his purchase at Grande Chateau.

While I have seen reports like yours elsewhere on the web, there are several posted on Bill Marriott's blog in response to the 25th Anniversary of Marriott Rewards.  For convenience:

"Posted By: Carl Cody (11/22/2008)
    Comment: I have been a Marriot Reward Member for too many years to remember. In the early part of this decade we become MVCI owners at Grande Vista. Shortly after we added Branson and then in the last two years we added 3 separate units at Lake Tahoe. We have used exhanges and points to fulfill life long dreams in London, Rome, Naples (Italy), Canada, Mexico, and even Arkansas. Recently we obtained a wonderful Sony TV through the points program. Imagine my disappointment when you went back on your promise to provide 25,000 points for each 6 month period that we kept financing on our most recent Lake Tahoe purchase. Our obligation to you is a legal one and we will honor that. Your obligation can change on a moments notice it seems. The reason for the change is due to the present state of our economy--figue it out. It is just as hard on us out here as it is for the Marriott Corporation but your loyal customers will fulfill their promises. Just wish you had.
    "

"Posted By: Jason Maisch (11/21/2008)
    Comment: I want to ditto Thomas Guerin's comment. My wife and I also last year contracted with the Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) to purchase a timeshare vacation week. Part of the incentive offered was a 25,000 bonus Marriott Rewards Points for each six-month period we maintain the financing for the purchase with Marriott Mortgage Banking Operations, at a somewhat high interest rate. We evaluated the net additional cost compared to the benefit of the accumulated bonus points, and decided it would be a reasonable program. Three days ago, less than a year into the program for us, we received a letter stating that Marriott was suspending the incentive program. I would hope that Marriott's interest rate will be dropping now to off set the points. Mr. Marriott, I hope you reestablish the point system and take care of your customers! Thank You."

"Posted By: Thomas A. Guerin (11/20/2008)
    Comment: We've been Marriott Rewards Program members for about five years. We think it's a great way to work toward a super vacation, and usually try to earn then when we can. Last year, we contracted with the Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI) to purchase two timeshare vacation weeks. Part of the incentive offered was a 25,000 bonus Marriott Rewards Points for each six-month period we maintain the financing for the purchase with Marriott Mortgage Banking Operations, at a somewhat high interest rate. We evaluated the net additional cost compared to the benefit of the accumulated bonus points, and decided it would be a reasonable program. Three days ago, less than a year into the program for us, we received a letter stating that Marriott was suspending the incentive program. What a wonderful way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Marriott Rewards Program! Of course, we're expected to continue to make our monthly payments, and keep up OUR end of the contract, with no relief from the high interest rate which funded the program. We really don't expect this response to be posted, but do hope it reaches Bill Marriott. We wish you well, Bill, on this 25th Anniversary, but have lost a whole lot of respect for Marriott.
    "

"Has anyone heard if Marriott intends to reinstate that program and if so when?"

Unfortunately, not.  Perhaps, discussion here @ Insiders may be helpful in raising awareness on the need for reinstating the incentives and/or closing the integrity gap?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointed--loss of reward pionts
    buffetteer Platinum

It's probably way too late to voice my opinion, but I was also unhappy about dropping the 50,000 pts/yr bonus for financing through Marriott.  We bought in Aruba (our second week) in '08 and almost immediately lost what we were promised.  As an added insult, we're pretty much stuck now with the high interest rate loan since credit is still so tough to get.  As a long time Rewards and MVCI member, it's shocking to see a first class organization renege on a commitment to its best customers.  What do the rest of you Insiders think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointed--loss of reward pionts
    mcwgold Platinum

I am Amazed in two ways -- first I have recently financed TWO Marriott weeks and wasn't offered any incentive like that (the period of time was Dec 2009 - present)...however my experience in the past is that any incentive or offer Marriott presented in writing (unless it said "subject to change without notice") will be honored.  I usually just keep moving up the hierarchy until I find someone who will listen.  If you have written materials promising this bonus and you financed on that basis -- you should have a legal right to your bonus points..go for it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...