5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2009 1:05 AM by james30 RSS

Costs

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at a smaller Marriott property where the hotel was full of 11-13 year olds, most without chaperones while running free.  The kids apparently disabled one of the elevators, and since it was a weekend, the elevator was out of order for 24 hours.  In addition, another guest told me that the kids decided it would be fun to knock on other folks' doors around midnight--just to see who answered.

I was sure that the hotel staff, while someone chagrined, did nothing to rectify this situation with the group leaders, whoever they were, and let the matter slide.  In terms of inconvenience and silliness that disabled an elevator, it was a genuine cost to the hotel for the repair.  Eventually, that cost is borne by every guest.

So, what do you all think should have been done?

Charge the group for the elevator repair?

Comp the folks whose doors were knocked on late at night?

Never invite the group again, or

All of the above? 

• Re: Costs
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping - What a regretable experience, I hope you reported it to Customer.Care@marriott.com 

Fairfield, Springhill and Residence seem to be the top choice for the sports teams.  We encounter soccer teams all the time and enjoy their beaming excitement.  Usually, they are well behaved. 

While property loss and disturbance of the peace are Loss Prevention issues, Front Desk personell can go a long way by engaging parents/guardians/coaches upfront.  It goes with the territory.

During a stay at a Fairfield this past weekend, I called the front desk requesting assistance with a troublesome digital thermostat.  About 5 minutes later the phone rings saying that an engineer was at the door but reluctant to knock because we had the Do Not Disturb/Privacy tag on the knob.  This has happened before.  Trained associates will not violate that tag, why should anyone else? 

My vote is "All of the Above."  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Agree with all of the above.  And what about making sure the hotel staff learns from this as well. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

NY:

I managed to solve the problem with a direct communication to the GM.  But thanks. 

pltnmprincess Platinum

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I would expect that hotel staff would make periodic rounds of the hallways during the night to make sure everything is quiet.  If there is a group of rowdy kids, they should be proactive to minimize the disruption to other guests.

The thing I have noticed recently is that in the Fairfields, Springhills, Courtyards, etc...there is only one person on staff after regular business hours. If you need something, or there is a problem in your room, you call the front desk and they tell you to either wait until morning or they can change your room.  In this case there isnt much they can do to patrol the halls when they are supposed to be answering the phone.

I feel badly for the one staff person who works alone all night.  I think it could lead not only to guest satisfaction issues, but to safety issues for them and for the guests.

james30 Platinum

Stepping..

I vote for all of the above but that may not be realistic as Marriott would not want to lose future business (revenue from rooms occupied by the problem people probably more than paid for cost of repairing the elevator).  Some type of compensation for you yourself would be realistic and should be requested.  A comp would be good.  Unless you want to go back to that particular property, a gift certificate for at least an equal amount would be better. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...