6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2009 11:46 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Bogus Extension of 2008 MR Program to MVC Owners in 2009

hawaiiowner Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I own 6 weeks of Marriott timeshares in Hawaii, Nevada and Florida.  On 10/24/08, not long after Marriott announced its "improvements" to the MR program, we received an E-Mail from Ron Essig, VP of Owner Services of MVCI.  It stated that they were extending to MVC owners the use of the then current MR program to Owners until 7/31/09.

This was important, because in addition to the other negative changes, Marriott Rewards gutted the value of their cruise rewards as of 12/31/08.

Today I called MR to book a cruise award under the old program and was told that the E-Mail did not apply to cruises because cruises were not part of Marriott Rewards.  Of course, this was incorrect as cruisess have always been a redemption option since the very early days of the program.  After two or three attempts at other explanations which I did not buy, the rep got surly.  I then talked to a supervisor who said they could not give me the desired certificate because they no longer had contracts with the cruise lines.

He said I was being unreasonable because Marmriott had the right to change the program any time they wished to do so.  I said I was not disputing that right, but that the E-mail had grandfathered us in for a period of time against any changes.  You would have thought I had cooties!

Another example of the low regard Marriott has for its timeshare owners.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Bogus Extension of 2008 MR Program to MVC Owners in 2009
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

MVCIOwner said:

"... not long after Marriott announced its "improvements" to the MR program, we received an E-Mail from Ron Essig, VP of Owner Services of MVCI.  It stated that they were extending to MVC owners the use of the then current MR program to Owners until 7/31/09"

I didn't get any notification like that, did anybody else here get one? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"... not long after Marriott announced its "improvements" to the MR program, we received an E-Mail from Ron Essig, VP of Owner Services of MVCI.  It stated that they were extending to MVC owners the use of the then current MR program to Owners until 7/31/09"

Mikieg:  I have several e-mails timestamped 2008 from Owner Services, but none from Ron Essig, VP Owner Services regarding 2009 Marriott Rewards changes or any other subject related to that. While I do not dispute that MVCIOwner received such correspondence, I would find it extremely odd. 

Marriott Rewards is out-of-scope for MVCI Owner Services.  MVCI and Marriott Rewards are separate business units. It is because of this organizational separation that efforts to effect tighter brand integration continue to attract my attention and receive positive comment.  Personally, I applaud any efforts by MVCI Owner Services to champion extensions of the the 2008 Marriott Rewards for MVCI owners - we are so underserved as it is when it comes to Marriott Rewards.  While I do hope someone will correct any mis-statement, to my knowledge MVCI owners have NO ONE working to represent and/or protect their interests at MVCI when it comes to Marriott Rewards.  Yes, all owners have an Advisor, but as it turns out, as great as these associates are in administering owner resort matters, they do not have the authority or training to handle matters involving Marriott Rewards. This area continues to be a 'slippery slope' for both MVCI and Marriott Rewards and a service gap.  

As Superchief1 has shared with Insiders*, correspondence received from Patricia Potts in David Babich's organization, it would be worthwhile if MVCIOwner might share the contents of the correspondence received from Ron Essig.  Mr. Essig may be a Lone Ranger, but I would certainly support and applaud his efforts to secure the extension that MVCIOwner speaks of.  

MVCIOwner, in the meantime, check-out the Cruise offers that are available through Marriott, here.

* MVC Plea for Help

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I'm in full agreement.

tjcnewyork Platinum

MVCIOwner

Here's more information about Marriott's Cruise offerings:  Marriott Rewards Cruises Home

hawaiiowner Platinum
    Why is there such skepticism that such an E-Mail exists?  Why don't you just call Marriott Rewards to confirm it?  The problem is not that it does not exist, but that MR was honoring only the hotel schedule of its program and not tghe rest of MR, as Essig's memo stated.  Don't lose sight of the real poinbt:  MR dlied when they sasid they bwould honor the old program for timeshare owners through 7/31.

tjcnewyork Platinum

MVCIOwner:

I think there is a slight misunderstanding and truly regret that. My wife and I are multiple week timeshare owners and enjoy vacation ownership with Marriott Vacation Club.  While I have no intention to question the veracity of Essig's e-mail to you, I did not receive that communication.   I think the escalation approach you describe is a good one, I would have taken it a step further. W/out the e-mail for reference, it's difficult to make suggestions that would be on-point and possibly help resolve the matter in your favor.

That being said, you are not alone in lamenting the fact that Marriott Vacation Club owners are the most ~underserved~ segment among Marriott Rewards members.  It's been said repeatedly on Marriott Rewards Insiders.  Rather than list the messages, a keyword search on 'underserved' is probably more convenient.  

It's taken 25+ years for Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards to achieve the level of brand integration that currently exists - and as you point out with 'cruises', there is still ground to cover.  While Marriott Rewards does have the legal right to cancel, modify and/or terminate the program in part or entirety, the terms and conditions clearly state the advance notice required.  Your example is one among many that illustrates a gap that needs to be filled.

I look foward to continuing this discussion and thank you for posting this important topic. Again, regrets for any misunderstanding.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...